Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Woodford Iowa Y1 yard hydrant installed in my barn. My wife used it this morning, and it worked, but this evening the handle won't come up...the rod is locked up tight.
My first thought was that it didn't drain back and froze, but I can blow air through the spout, and the only place it can go is through the drain hole. It has been cold, but not like last year, or the year before. I installed it myself, backfilled around the drain with pea gravel, and given the fact that it's in the barn....well I'm having a hard time accepting that it would drain back.
The only thing different that I can think of is that my wife only ran about a pint of water (she filled her water bottle:bash::bash::bash:), normally we would run a minimum of 10 gal at a time, so any ice from the prior time would flush out. Since it was -13, I'm wondering if I just have some ice build up that locked the valve in place...since the drain hole appears to be clear.
Anybody have anybody ever had this happen? I have 5 Woodford Iowa's and have never had one single problem.
I guess the strange part to me is that I can blow air through to the drain hole.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
The valve is at the bottom like a fire hydrant.
You have a handle that pulls and pushes the valve rod up top.
Perhaps if it was sub zero when you used it, a little water flash froze in the seal that the rod passes through near handle.
Try a little indirect heat. Being careful not to melt the seal

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,517 Posts
arlen, It's probably froze. I've been there a couple of times. Each time it has happened to us there was no apparent rhyme or reason.
I always figured the ground was frozen enough the water draining from the drain hole had no place to go. What you have is a small underground pool. If this is the case, you should be able to fill the pipe with hot water.

I take the top off, pour hot water down the pipe and then heat the pipe down low on the pipe with my acetylene torch until the water boils up over the top and then let it sit.

BTW, I would rebuild the bottom half of the hydrant come summer.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Perhaps if it was sub zero when you used it, a little water flash froze in the seal that the rod passes through near handle.
Try a little indirect heat. Being careful not to melt the seal
We have this same issue at times, I agree with the above statement. At least as a starting point. We use hot water, as hot as we can get out of our water heater to pour over the area were the rod goes through the handle , keeping steady pull pressure on the handle. This procedure has worked well. I don't ever remember having an issue other than this , we've had the Iowa hyd. Since the mid '60 s On the farm about 6 of them, used them every day.

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
arlen, It's probably froze. I've been there a couple of times. Each time it has happened to us there was no apparent rhyme or reason.
I always figured the ground was frozen enough the water draining from the drain hole had no place to go. What you have is a small underground pool. If this is the case, you should be able to fill the pipe with hot water.

I take the top off, pour hot water down the pipe and then heat the pipe down low on the pipe with my acetylene torch until the water boils up over the top and then let it sit.

BTW, I would rebuild the bottom half of the hydrant come summer.
I just couldn't believe that the drain would be saturated. When I installed it, I buried 6 feet down into porous bedrock, I dug out at least a cubic yard and backfilled with pea gravel. I insulated the whole thing with hi density foam. I don't think you could fill the drain area with a fire hose.
Anyway, since I could blow air through the spigot, I knew the drain must be clear.
I strung out 750 feet of garden hose from the outdoor hot water spigot on my shop to the barn. I connected it to the hydrant using a wash machine hose.
It only took about 5 seconds to get it working.
There must have just been a chunk of ice binding up the rod going to the bottom.
I think when my wife use it a couple of times and just ran a tiny bit of water when it was -13 deg caused the problem.
Looks like I dodged the bullet this time.

·
Administrator
18,009 Posts
...I strung out 750 feet of garden hose...
I don't think I could come up with that much hose if I hit up every neighbor on the street :laugh:

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
I don't think I could come up with that much hose if I hit up every neighbor on the street :laugh:

I don't think any store in town has that much garden hose.......:mocking:

Dave

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Geeze. I thought I had a lot of garden hose with roughly 400'. :flag_of_truce: My entire stock is barely more than your 'margin of error'. :lol:
You had better pick up a couple hundred more feet for your new property. I suppose you will start having to deal with deeper hydrants too. How deep does the frost go in Tennessee and Wyoming?

·
Registered
4,630 Posts
P4132976.jpg

Digs about 6 foot.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,517 Posts
Here in TN, our underground water lines have to be 18" down and most are 24". The 'official' frost depth for Cheyenne is 36".

Sounds like I may need to start looking for a mini excavator...:greentractorride::lol:
Can I help? Pleeeeease! How much money we talkin?:lol:

·
Registered
4,630 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts