Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Regraded my backyard with my rear blade then brought in 60 yards of topsoil and spread with landscaping rake getting it hydroseeded tomorrow. It was my first time using the rake but it came out really nice as far as I can tell. Here are some pics along the way:

Arrived first week in August
IMAG0548 - Copy.jpg

These show the topsoil dropped and back-bladed with FEL. I'm not too good at getting smooth with the bucket.
IMAG0620 - Copy.jpg

IMAG0626 - Copy.jpg

My helper just showed up
IMAG0625 - Copy.jpg

A little hand raking on the edge of the new walkway on the right
IMAG0627 - Copy.jpg

Helper says time to take the backhoe off and put the rake on
IMAG0629 - Copy.jpg

Now a bunch of circles with the rake
IMAG0630 - Copy.jpg

IMAG0632 - Copy.jpg

IMAG0633 - Copy.jpg

IMAG0634 - Copy.jpg

Ready for seeding
IMAG0637 - Copy.jpg

Old supervisor is proud of the job well done
IMAG0640 - Copy.jpg

I also have a couple of videos of raking but I don't know how to upload those.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Regraded my backyard with my rear blade then brought in 60 yards of topsoil and spread with landscaping rake getting it hydroseeded tomorrow. It was my first time using the rake but it came out really nice as far as I can tell. Here are some pics along the way:

Arrived first week in August
View attachment 54866

These show the topsoil dropped and back-bladed with FEL. I'm not too good at getting smooth with the bucket.
View attachment 54874

View attachment 54882

My helper just showed up
View attachment 54890

A little hand raking on the edge of the new walkway on the right
View attachment 54898

Helper says time to take the backhoe off and put the rake on
View attachment 54906

Now a bunch of circles with the rake
View attachment 54914

View attachment 54922

View attachment 54930

View attachment 54938

Ready for seeding
View attachment 54946

Old supervisor is proud of the job well done
View attachment 54954

I also have a couple of videos of raking but I don't know how to upload those.

nice!

​youtube...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Let's try the videos now. These have to be the most boring videos....unless you own a tractor of course.

·
Premium Member
14,899 Posts
Very nice job. :bigthumb:

Thanks for the photos and video.:bigthumb:

Reactions: Levi and gwood86

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
gwood86,
Nice job. I bet you had some fun doing all that. :good2:

Reactions: Levi

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Nice . It came out nice.:bigthumb:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,816 Posts
I agree with others, looks good. :thumbup1gif:

·
Super Moderator
8,141 Posts
Looks good! There was a time when I'd finish rake the entire area by hand after rough grading with the york rake and prior to seeding. I must have been crazy back then but it did come out great. Just a couple of comments. If you set the rake at an angle and slow down you'll spread the topsoil much more evenly. You'll finish the job with fewer spoil piles, passes and less compaction.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,816 Posts
Looks good! There was a time when I'd finish rake the entire area by hand after rough grading with the york rake and prior to seeding. I must have been crazy back then but it did come out great. Just a couple of comments. If you set the rake at an angle and slow down you'll spread the topsoil much more evenly. You'll finish the job with fewer spoil piles, passes and less compaction.
:thumbup1gif:I do ok with a landscape rake but Babycakes can smooth out a pile of rocks. It takes more practice than one thinks.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)

Well, I have to admit, I did go over lightly with a hand rake in some spots just to smooth some things out and get some of the very small rocks that my big rake left behind.

Thanks for the suggestions on the angle of the rake. It was my first time so I really didn't know what I was doing. So, when you say set it at an angle, I'm assuming you mean lengthen the top link so that the tines are lower and it should dig in more? Now that I read your comment again, I think you mean just angle the rake on the horizontal plane. Yes, I did that when I was rough raking and regrading so all the junk pushed to one side. That did help a lot. The topsoil was already screened so I was just smoothing it out but I can still see how it might have helped if I angled it.

Thanks again.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,269 Posts
Wow, good job! When you back blade just put it in the float mode but with a rake, why bother. That rake does a great job. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
I guess I am not sure what you mean by putting back blade in float mode. Can you explain how you do this exactly? If you are talking about back dragging with FEL, I get that, but a back blade, I don't.

Thanks

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,816 Posts
Well, I have to admit, I did go over lightly with a hand rake in some spots just to smooth some things out and get some of the very small rocks that my big rake left behind.

Thanks for the suggestions on the angle of the rake. It was my first time so I really didn't know what I was doing. So, when you say set it at an angle, I'm assuming you mean lengthen the top link so that the tines are lower and it should dig in more? Now that I read your comment again, I think you mean just angle the rake on the horizontal plane. Yes, I did that when I was rough raking and regrading so all the junk pushed to one side. That did help a lot. The topsoil was already screened so I was just smoothing it out but I can still see how it might have helped if I angled it.

Thanks again.
Gauge wheels make a HUGE difference with the finish work.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just thought I would put a cap on this project by showing the finished product four weeks later. I just removed all the fencing (to keep the dogs out) and did my first mow. I'm now a believer in hydroseeding. It came up quick and pretty full. We had an extremely dry summer/fall here in the northeast and didn't really water it as much as I should because I didn't want to drain my well so there a few spots that are thin. I'll probably do some overseeding in the spring but for now it looks good to me and ready to take on the winter.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,088 Posts
Very nice job . . . . And it's all about learning and being open to suggestions. :kidw_truck_smiley:

·
Registered
231 Posts
As long as it's done right, hydroseeding is the way to go. My lawn is like a golf course(I did the site prep and supplied the seed) and I hired the seeding out.
Every year the lawn thickens and gets better. I plug and overseed yearly and couldn't be happier with the results. Your projects looks to be a huge success!!!!

:bigthumb:

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,269 Posts
Wow, good job! When you back blade just put it in the float mode but with a rake, why bother. That rake does a great job. :bigthumb:
It's all in a word.

I guess I am not sure what you mean by putting back blade in float mode. Can you explain how you do this exactly? If you are talking about back dragging with FEL, I get that, but a back blade, I don't.

Thanks
That's what the OP was saying, that's why I said "when". :flag_of_truce:

Reactions: Creekdrifter
1 - 19 of 19 Posts