Green Tractor Talk banner

Yet another ballast question

2K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  rwmeyer 
#1 ·
A little long winded here, but the questions will pop up at the end :)

I was reading through the loader manual (440R) and had some questions. Specifically, the loader manual has the following for minimum ballast:
  • 63 inch or greater rear tread setting
  • Rear tires filled with liquid ballast
  • Four rear wheel weights
  • 836 pound minimum 3-point hitch ballast

Based on this thread, these statements are an "and" and not an "or:"
(2) What is "Rear Ballast"? And why do you need it? | Green Tractor Talk
As a side note, it would be nice for consistency in operator's manuals. That same thread had other operator's manuals that were explicit with an "and" between requirements.

I, however, live in an area where every tree, plant, shrub, and even critter is out to draw your blood. I have had too many instances of heavy equipment rentals that have resulted in punctured tires despite being as careful as possible, staying on trails, and away from pokey objects. As such, I would rather forego liquid ballast for more rear ballast. The tractor (4052R) is currently on order with R4 tires. Now for the questions:
  1. How much weight does the liquid ballast add assuming R4 tires on the tractor, and
  2. What are the recommended translations from liquid ballast to rear ballast?
  3. What is the length from the rear axle to back of the 3-point hitch if I were included to do a swag on the static forces (I couldn't find that measurement in either the 440R or the 4Series manual...)?

See less See more
#4 ·
There is a self sealing liquid ballast but it's very expensive.

Reactions: rtgt
#5 ·
The RimGuard website has approx fill amounts for tires so you can estimate the weight:

#6 ·
  1. How much weight does the liquid ballast add assuming R4 tires on the tractor, and
  2. What are the recommended translations from liquid ballast to rear ballast?
  3. What is the length from the rear axle to back of the 3-point hitch if I were included to do a swag on the static forces (I couldn't find that measurement in either the 440R or the 4Series manual...)?
I just did this math for a 2038R to figure out how much rear ballast I’d need with filled tires and used 36” from rear axle to rear weight. With a 68” wheelbase, that makes the ratio 1:1.53 (1lb on the rear puts 1.53lbs forever on the rear axle).

Here’s how I thought about it for my situation:
The 220R loader manual calls for 229lbs on the axles (2 weights on each wheel, roughly) plus 1,047lbs on the three point. The three point to rear axle ratio was calculated by dividing the wheelbase plus rear wheel to three point length by the wheelbase. That means I need a total of 229lbs + (1,047 x 1.53) = 1,830lbs of down force on the axle.

According to the rimguard site, I could actually get ~250lbs per tire. That means I’d need the equivalent of 1,330lbs (870lbs) back in the three point. That’s about the weight of the backhoe or a standard ballast box, so I think that’ll be enough. I’m not sure how you get to ~1,100lbs unless you cast your own concrete block?

#10 ·
Don't get confused over weighted tires and rear ballast. They both have similar affects on the FEL, but different effects on the tractor. Weighted tires improve traction and also help to keep the rear of the tractor on the ground when lifting with the FEL. Rear ballast does the same PLUS reduces the load on the front end... tires, axles, bearings, etc... If you have (exaugurated) 5000# on/in each tire, you probably won't have any tire spin, but every pound you lift with the FEL will be transferred directly to the front end. Rear ballast tends to lift the front of the tractor pivoting on the rear axle. This reduces the load on the front end. Both are nice, but rear ballast is necessary for the life of the front end. Bob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.