Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Nothing special at all, pretty straight forward. 3/4" angle on the sides and 1/2" flat stock on the tops and bottoms. Debating putting the expanded steel on the front, I kind of like the way that looks all exposed, like Big did on his grill guard. But on the other hand, i like the way it looks when the edges are hidden behind the angle steel too...
I wanted to put a bend in it to follow the contours of the horizontal bars, but then I decided that's beyond my patience level :flag_of_truce::unknown:

This is where I'm at as of now because the expanded steel hasn't shown up yet, so I wait....
EDIT; Never mind the black tape on the horizontal bar, that's how i was holding it in the pipe vise.
 

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,917 Posts
I did mine different and did not weld on front part. The front section is pieces of Strap Steel drilled and bolted on the front only no welds. I ran the bolts thru a steel bar on the back side and pinched the expanded steel under the strap steel sections that are easy to replace if damaged later. Having the expanded steel against the cross bars it can take a bad hit and not damage easy. If damaged the sheet is pulled out and a new one put it, I welded in the expanded steel into a frame on the sides and bolted it to the back side steel bars. Placed a rubber bumper to protect the plastic from scratches. 100_1430.JPG 100_1432.JPG 100_1470.JPG 100_1471.JPG 100_1187.JPG 100_1191.JPG
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got it all welded up. Just need to prep and paint now.
Picked up some yellow zinc flange head bolts to mount it solid (so the hardware will look factory). After much debate with myself, the conclusion is that there's no reason to make it quick detach, so I forego the clevis pin idea.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Finally got around to painting this.
Wire wheeled it best I could. Sprayed it down with non-chlorinated brake clean. Used some Rustoleum products to prime, and paint it. Then baked it in the oven @ 200° for 90min. The enamel turned out really nice after the bake. Little glossier then I wanted, but I'm comfortable with it. Looks pretty sharp I think.
Thanks to all the others that documented theirs, for the idea.
 

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
386 Posts
SRG, Looks awesome. Great job. I love the oven bake application, that was a great idea. Probably did not smell as good as cinnamon rolls though:laugh:
Thanks for posting the pics. Greg
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
SRG, Looks awesome. Great job. I love the oven bake application, that was a great idea. Probably did not smell as good as cinnamon rolls though:laugh:
Thanks for posting the pics. Greg
Ha right.:laugh: mmm cinnamon rolls.
Luckily yesterday was in the 70's with a heavy breeze, and I was able to open all the windows, and get a good flow through the house. I'm getting hooked on painting parts small enough to fit in an oven. I took our old toaster oven out to the workshop, and baked some small hardware off a china cabinet that I painted, gonna have to get an old electric oven for out there too, for the larger pieces. Baking the painted parts seems to make a noticeable difference in the durability, from my experiences so far.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top