Green Tractor Talk banner

What type of rear "grading" implement do you suggest?

• Rear Blade

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Agri-fab / Brinly box blade

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Landpride - style box blade

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • Land Leveller

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Other / none

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is a unique question (sarcasm online stinks doesn't it?), but here goes:

I'm moving to the country and I'd like some advice on what attachments I should look for following a 3pt hitch installation.

I have a 316 (onan) that I love. It works well and since I own it already, it's budget-friendly (another tractor is going to be a HARD sell... my wife isn't as enthusiastic about this kind of thing as I am!).

The 316 is more-or-less stock, i.e. no 3 pt hitch, no pto tiller, no front blade. I have a mower deck and a model 49 snowblower that have both seen their fair share of use.

Before long, my wife and I are going to start building our "forever" house - it's on family land and we're just slicing out a piece of the old farm to build on. Our driveway is basically the old road and it's 980' long with a clay and rock mixture - i.e. muddy as heck when it's wet and hard as all get out when it's dry.

I also plan to put in a decent sized garden to grow potatoes, corn, beans, etc.

What the heck should I be looking for for attachments?

I know I'll need to do work to the driveway on a regular basis as it's always a mess; is a brinly or agrifab box blade going to stand up to regular use with that sort of soil? Is my little 316 strong enough to handle a Landpride BB05? Would a land plane be a better bet if I can get it smooth once?

Also, everything is flat, but overgrown - I know I need to till the soil somehow to get a garden started, but there are million options all involving various implements - ranging from two bottom ploughs to building raised beds and doing everything by hand.

If you were me (luckily for you, you're not, but let's say you were), and you were trying to convince your wife you needed more attachments for your tractor, what would your list look like?

I'm looking forward to as many opinions as you have! (yep... the old saying about opinions and what they're like...)

·
Corndog Hater
11,774 Posts
You know your 316 better than we do, so what you are comfortable attaching to it, is up to you. With that said, I definitely think a 3 point and box blade would be a good investment for driveway maintenance. Maybe a mold board plow to work the soil, or hire that done. Then a tiller would be a good idea depending on garden size. You could also get a tow behind tiller with its own gas engine if you couldn't find a 3 point tiller for your 316. Or raised beds, that's what I do and my tillers stay in the barn. A loader or front scoop would be nice for transporting manure, dirt, compost to the raised beds. I could go on and on and on and.....

Seriously, by the time you invest in all of this stuff, a good used machine with a FEL, 3 PH may be a wiser investment. Attachments for the 3 point would be easier to come by, hence more plentiful and perhaps cheaper. And keep the 316 for mowing.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
You know your 316 better than we do, so what you are comfortable attaching to it, is up to you. With that said, I definitely think a 3 point and box blade would be a good investment for driveway maintenance. Maybe a mold board plow to work the soil, or hire that done. Then a tiller would be a good idea depending on garden size. You could also get a tow behind tiller with its own gas engine if you couldn't find a 3 point tiller for your 316. Or raised beds, that's what I do and my tillers stay in the barn. A loader or front scoop would be nice for transporting manure, dirt, compost to the raised beds. I could go on and on and on and.....

Seriously, by the time you invest in all of this stuff, a good used machine with a FEL, 3 PH may be a wiser investment. Attachments for the 3 point would be easier to come by, hence more plentiful and perhaps cheaper. And keep the 316 for mowing.
I agree with CP's assessment.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Yet another "which attachment" thread!

You're going to need a bigger tractor.

My wife used to be what do you need a tractor for.

The I bought a 1976 wheelhorse C160.
It took me three hours to mow the lawn.

So then a 1995 F525 front mount. Took the mowing down to 1.5 hours.

Some where along the line I acquired a snowblower, tiller, brinly plow, cultivator, and disk. Then a JD71 planter. Made the gardening fun.

Then like you we bought the family property. 21 acres of woods and built our forever home. The two machines just wouldn't do.

So a JD955 with a 72" Deck, 54" blade and 70A loader was added to the stable. Even Mrs what do you need another tractor for saw the value of having it.

As you see my son quickly claimed it. So in order to get my tractor back santa brought him one for xmas.

So in 13 years of marriage we gone from you don't need a tractor to having 5. :) We also have my dads cub cadet mower.

It takes a while but constant nagging can work.

I will say though I'm thinking about selling the F525 as I don't really use it much anymore. Maybe. But then I might keep it too.

One can never have enough tractors or chainsaws.

Welcome to the club. Just make a list of why you need a tractor and include things like it will give me more free time for you, Make it easier to complete your projects without whining etc etc. She'll come around.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
980' long driveway? You're gonna need a bigger tractor.
I should mention that there's still an active farm down the road (probably less than a mile) - if I need anything major done, there's a 95 hp Deere and a 105 hp Ford that I could get my hands on if things were out of control (i.e. snow, etc.). The thing is, those tractors actually work. A lot. It's not reasonable of me to ask a family member to come do all the little things I want to do around the house. As well, that kind of gear is hardly suited for planting a little backyard garden!

If the whole driveway gets ridiculous, which it has in the past, I can also get a proper grader to come re-crown it. A friend of mine has a gov't contract for road grading and he's in the area once or twice a year; if he doesn't have to go out of his way, he can make a couple of passes for me (and has in the past) :bigthumb:. I know that sort of changes things, but again, I'd rather look after what I can rather than asking someone else to come do it for me.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Her family land or your family land. If it's hers you need a bigger tractor to maintain it to the standards that will be expected of you. You wouldn't want her family to think you guys aren't taking care of it the way they think it should be.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It takes a while but constant nagging can work.

One can never have enough tractors or chainsaws.

Welcome to the club. Just make a list of why you need a tractor and include things like it will give me more free time for you, Make it easier to complete your projects without whining etc etc. She'll come around.
Oh, don't worry... I've already started :lol:

·
Premium Member
2,745 Posts
I agree with the rest. While I was reading your post my first thought was "He's going to need a bigger tractor" I have a 420 that I have had since new it's 26 years old I imagine the 316 is older. Look at a series one like 1025R it will surprise you what it will do. Enjoy your new place and be safe. :good2:

·
Registered
991 Posts
With what you have described and what you will probably end up doing and having a 2 series myself I would want nothing smaller and aim for a 3 series. As mentioned above larger implements are much more plentiful and frequently better priced than small ones. It took us 25 years to buy a bigger tractor and I now regret wasting those years struggling and putting off projects we now do without a thought. My wife drives the 455 and I could never get her to go back now. Good luck with your new house and projects.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Did I miss where the OP said how much land he is getting,,?
or what else needs to be done? (mowing/bush-hogging, or gardening)?
OR, how old he is? :dunno:

When I was 32 years old, I mowed 10 acres with a 316 sized machine.
When I was 32 years old I maintained 1,400 feet of gravel driveway with the same machine.
That same machine hauled my firewood, and did my gardening work.

By the time I was 45,, the machine had doubled in size.
20 years later,, the machine is doubling in size,, again.

As you get older,, the tractor needs to become more capable,, for some reason,,, :dunno:

·
Registered
5,635 Posts
Dollars count

If :gizmo: are plentiful, it's pretty easy. Get something like a 3 series tractor with FEL, good box blade, tiller, rear finish mower etc.

Your follow up post does change things a bit. I would definitely ask your friend with the grader to put the road in shape. It's the right tool and big enough to quickly get a finish grade where you would spend a lot of time with a tractor. After that, a rear blade, box blade or land leveler would keep it in shape by just lightly running over it 3-4 times a year.

If your dream house might soak up much of your spare cash, I would still look for at least a 2 and probably a 3 series with FEL and a box blade. Make sure the box blade has good rippers and use those for primary tillage on the garden. You can almost make them work like a chisel plow by setting them deep and tilting the box so the rippers are deep in the ground but you aren't using the box. If the garden is good sized, get a 4ph disk or tiller to finish the process. (the disk will be a heck of a lot cheaper) I would also plan on some sort of rear mower. You have a mower for the actual lawn but you will want something for around the garden, road sides etc.

Oh, make sure they build the tractor shed/garage first. You don't want your tractor out in the weather. . . You can tell your wife it's to store the building materials in while the house is being constructed so it needs to be large. . . If I ever build a house, I will do that first as I've seen too many piles of materials waiting in the rain plus stuff disappears off job sites. That way you could get the garden going, have the equipment for clean up around the job site, do finish grading etc. Lot's of benefits to having the tractor on site in a secure building before you start construction on the dream house.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
With your driveway is it just an old farm filed road or does it have a base. If not I suggest crowning it with the grader then putting down about 8-10" of base. Shale works great. Then crown it again and put down your stone. Will last a long time and you won't have to do much to it. Will cost a little more upfront but will be worth it. Ask me how I know.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Did I miss where the OP said how much land he is getting,,?
or what else needs to be done? (mowing/bush-hogging, or gardening)?
OR, how old he is? :dunno:

When I was 32 years old, I mowed 10 acres with a 316 sized machine.
When I was 32 years old I maintained 1,400 feet of gravel driveway with the same machine.
That same machine hauled my firewood, and did my gardening work.

By the time I was 45,, the machine had doubled in size.
20 years later,, the machine is doubling in size,, again.

As you get older,, the tractor needs to become more capable,, for some reason,,, :dunno:
You're very much on the right track. The property that we'll be on is 4 acres with 1 acre of "usable" land (that's flat and clear) with 2.5 acres of woodland on a steep hill and 1/2 an acre of floodplain and riverbank. The only place the tractor will really get much use is on the 1 acre section. I have an old Kawasaki Bayou for playing in the woods; so the tractor won't be working there (unless it's for the fun of it!) and I'm not planning to do anything to the floodplain or riverbank because of the legal issues around watercourses (and I don't need to do anything there anyway!). Because it's family land, if I want a garden bigger than I can fit in my own yard, that's no problem at all; I can go as big as I need.

I appreciate why the most common thought is "buy a bigger tractor", and to be honest, I'd love to own a 1025r; it's just not in the cards for the next few years. As CADplans mentioned, when he was around my age (I'm 34), he did just fine with a small tractor and a strong back. I'm the kind of guy who doesn't mind a bit of manual labour and I've done a lot of it; I just like my little tractor and want to get some toys to play in the garden with. :unknown:

I do see where the suggestions are coming from re: a 2 or 3 series tractor. It's something I'll watch for in the next few years to see if I can find a good used one, but shouldn't it hook up to the same implements? I know the 316 is supposed to be cat 0, but with cat 1 bushings and the pins reversed won't the implements still fit and then be useable on a bigger tractor later on?

The 316 will do my mowing, spend some time getting rid of potholes and cleaning up the driveway (but maybe not ripping and regrading the whole thing - that's what full-sized gear is for), maybe moving a bit of wood once in a while, and hopefully it'll work in a small garden. If I have to do the garden by hand, so be it; as you folks all know though, it's a lot more fun when you can play with toys! That's why I'm looking for opinions on attachments / implements! :good2:

With regard to the FEL comments, (I'm going to get chastised for saying this!), I'd rather have a skid-steer - I find the FEL on a tractor too slow and, to be honest, it's not what a tractor is really built for. Again, if I need one, there's a skid-steer around that I can use now and again and, if I need to do any "serious" work (which, on 1 acre, will be pretty limited), I can use that rather than a wheelbarrow.

Thanks for the input though - it gives a guy something to think about!

Update: After looking at some of the 2 series tractors online; I'd LOVE to have one, but it's definitely not in the cards for the next few years. A 1025r might be more reasonable... I will watch the craigslist, dealers, etc. to see what comes up used, but as someone mentioned, building a house sometimes uses up spare cash! (as if I had any in the first place....)

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,269 Posts
To answer one question, if you're keeping the 316 I'd go with the land leveler/land plane (whatever you want to call it) to take care of the drive. To answer the other questions, get a bigger tractor. Can it all be done with what you have if you get all the equipment you need to do it? You can make it work. But it will be work. If you still have a day job then doing all that work after will get to the point in a year or two that you will start asking yourself why you bought all that equipment for a 316. The land and what you will end up doing with it will out grow the 316. And the more equipment you get for the 316 will add to your work around your place because your wife will be asking you to do it, and you'll be wanting to do more too. In the end you're going to start asking yourself why you spent all that money on equipment you're going to start hating and wishing you had gone bigger. Remember one thing...you're not going to get any younger.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Good morning. This is the time of the year where getting a good used tractor from a dealer or a auction is pretty easy to do. I think John Deere has some sales going on also if your wife will let you buy new. :) I have a 1025 r with a Frontier 48in box blade, a 5ft county line rake, FEL, backhoe and mower deck. I use the rake more than the box blade to maintain my gravel drive. It's no where near as long as yours but if you can have the grader come shape your drive first than its just a preference choice for you on what you use to maintain it. If you aren't going to cap it with gravel or a road base than I would probably go with the box blade. Of course a bigger tractor is always on our minds! I have 4 Acres and my wife wants me to put in a garden for her this year and I am still clearing out a area I would like to put a pond in. Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
With the garden stuff I recommend a sleeve hitch and brinly equipment. See my post above. My 16HP wheelhorse about the same size and weight of your 316 handled them fine.

They still make the stuff new. It you can usually find them on Craigslist cheaper. I don't think I have 500 bucks tied up in my pillow, disk, cultivator, and planter. I also have another cultivator that I took apart to just the center frame and put a small middle buster on. It works great as a potato plow.

With access to bigger stuff you can buy bigger implements cat one stuff would be fine. But I don't think I'd use them with your 316. And I'd be careful about using them on there bigger tractor as the power can rip up implements quickly.

This would be nice to help maintain your driveway once it's in shape.

http://www.brinly.com/BS-38BH-box-scraper.html

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
You're very much on the right track. The property that we'll be on is 4 acres with 1 acre of "usable" land (that's flat and clear) with 2.5 acres of woodland on a steep hill and 1/2 an acre of floodplain and riverbank. The only place the tractor will really get much use is on the 1 acre section. I have an old Kawasaki Bayou for playing in the woods; so the tractor won't be working there (unless it's for the fun of it!) and I'm not planning to do anything to the floodplain or riverbank because of the legal issues around watercourses (and I don't need to do anything there anyway!). Because it's family land, if I want a garden bigger than I can fit in my own yard, that's no problem at all; I can go as big as I need.

I appreciate why the most common thought is "buy a bigger tractor", and to be honest, I'd love to own a 1025r; it's just not in the cards for the next few years. As CADplans mentioned, when he was around my age (I'm 34), he did just fine with a small tractor and a strong back. I'm the kind of guy who doesn't mind a bit of manual labour and I've done a lot of it; I just like my little tractor and want to get some toys to play in the garden with. :unknown:

I do see where the suggestions are coming from re: a 2,3, or 4 series tractor. It's something I'll watch for in the next few years to see if I can find a good used one, but shouldn't it hook up to the same implements? I know the 316 is supposed to be cat 0, but with cat 1 bushings and the pins reversed won't the implements still fit and then be useable on a bigger tractor later on?

The 316 will do my mowing, spend some time getting rid of potholes and cleaning up the driveway (but maybe not ripping and regrading the whole thing - that's what full-sized gear is for), maybe moving a bit of wood once in a while, and hopefully it'll work in a small garden. If I have to do the garden by hand, so be it; as you folks all know though, it's a lot more fun when you can play with toys! That's why I'm looking for opinions on attachments / implements! :good2:

With regard to the FEL comments, (I'm going to get chastised for saying this!), I'd rather have a skid-steer - I find the FEL on a tractor too slow and, to be honest, it's not what a tractor is really built for. Again, if I need one, there's a skid-steer around that I can use now and again and, if I need to do any "serious" work (which, on 1 acre, will be pretty limited), I can use that rather than a wheelbarrow.

Thanks for the input though - it gives a guy something to think about!
I agree about he skid-steer. For loader work they are great. You can see the bucket and be pretty exact with stuff. I'd love one. But it's not in the budget at the moment.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts