Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased this vise,a Yost ADI-6 for my main shop use. For those that have not researched the many brands and types of vises available nowadays,finding a sturdy,well designed and properly made vise is time consuming (and that's why the majority of buyers 'give up' and purchase something from Lowe's,Menard's,Bob's Mart,etc.,etc.,etc.).
The Yost brand is family owned and their solitary product are vises of all types and materials for both industry,shop,homeowner uses. The vise that I selected impressed me with the fit,design,operation and it's finished appearance (sharp looking,worthy of being in one of those Bob Vila garages where nothing gets used,only viewed....). Yost vises are manufactured both in Taiwan and the USA;this particular model in Taiwan-nothing new,as virtually every major US name vise utilizes foreign sources(pronounced Chinka) for their lower quality line of products-and,most of them will admit to that.
Being used to the more typical style of robust design found in most of the better imported vises,the ADI design took a while to get used to-but because the material used is 130,000 psi ductile iron,the design can be much less robust than the typical types that use 30,000 psi cast iron and have to rely on sheer mass for strength.

At $160,this is very inexpensive vise for it's apparent quality,typically US made vise prices start at $400 and go to $1200+.We'll see....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
I thought you might appreciate this old school vise.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,685 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,064 Posts
When I was vise shopping a few years back, Yost came in second after Wilton for me. It's nice to see you can replace the jaws on the Yost. I recall finding a new-in-box Ridgid (I think) at the scrap yard I buy steel from, and although it was a nice vise; the jaws couldn't be replaced, which made it a non starter for me.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I'd sooner spend $160 for the old Wilton vise than the new Yost vice.

Older American vises are not hard to find and they are a much better value.
I wish that you could find a Wilton like that around me for $160. Ever since people on Youtube started doing restorations of the old vises, the market has gone crazy. You couldn't buy a large Wilton bullet vise for under $400 in my neck of the woods.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Is it still old school if its still a current production model? :laugh:

I really like the old Wiltons, and the new US made ones.
I bought a like new in box 6" Wilton Mechanics vise for $60 about 10 years ago. It had one broken mounting tab which was the reason it was so cheap, and I made a questionable repair.
Its a heck of a vise. I abuse them pretty bad at times. My previous vise I split in half. This one has taken much more abuse and looks none the worse for wear.
Strangely enough, my questionable repair is still holding. Likely due to the strength of the rest of the vise, not my repair.

I appreciate a good vise, and knowing where to find them. While its nice to buy items made here, if they are of good quality, I dont mind where they are made, if its saving a big chunk of money, like the Yost 6" the OP started the thread about.
I also like finding deals on older stuff, but like the other poster said, its hard to find a good used vise for a decent price due to all the "refurbing" going on.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Speaking of Old School.

For our first Christmas as a married couple (48 years ago) my wife surprised me with a Sears' Workbench. When the salesman asked if her husband had a vice, she replied "well, he likes beer too much". After he quit laughing, the threw in a vice with the workbench. Still got the vice, the workbench and the wife still says I like beer too much.:bigbeer:

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
The c1 is one size smaller than my c2, but it's still about 1000.00 retail new. That's a great price.

Reactions: Robnik

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
This is my trusty old (or maybe crusty) Craftsman vice I've had for 30 years or more, from back when my whole garage and shop was mostly Craftsman. It's had a tough life. :laugh:

c1.JPG

About 20 years ago I wanted a cheap vice that had the swivel head for use when welding so probably got this one from Harbor Freight. Put it on a pedestal to make it portable. When welding small parts I like to be able to clamp them in the vise and set it to an angle so that I am not welding vertically but always flat if possible. I'm not the greatest welder so this really helps me.

l1.JPG

l2.JPG

Last year ran across this Yost on sale that also has the swivel head. I like that feature so much that I also put it on a pedestal and put it in the other building where the 1025r lives. Occasionally need a vice out there and this saves running back and forth.

y1.JPG

y2.JPG

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I picked up a MATCO vice off a buddy when he quit selling tools and was clearing inventory.
Works great for my limited use.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
I'm ruined/spoiled for life. Back in the '80s, a bolt/nut house sales rep called on my business on a regular basis. At the time, I was frustrated with the quality of my bench vise. That was before the wave of China crap. I think it was India junk. So I asked this peddler if he had a vise line. Yup, Wilton. I was really choking on what I paid for it, $250.00, but I ordered a Wilton 450S Machinist Vise. I certainly wasn't disappointed and have no regrets then (and especially now) about what I paid for it. You wouldn't think the terms vise and precision would go together in the same sentence, but with the Wilton Machinist series, they do. There is zero slop in the carriage. It is soooo smooth opening and closing. Nearly 30 years later I still have it:

DSCN0532.JPG

Just before Christmas, a 450S came up on Craig's list for $450, if I recall correctly. By now, with shipping, they are topping $700 new. I stopped to look at it, hoping I could get work the guy down---after all it is just a vise. He knew what he had and that the bobber was down when I even showed up to look at it. It replaced a 4" Mercury that I had mounted on the bench. The Mercury was OK and a decent USA built vise, but the jaw plates were wore out and it wouldn't grip anything. Mercury is long gone and the jaw plates are more than just plates in shape. This made it frustrating to use.

So now I have two:

DSCN0533.JPG

·
Premium Member
461 Posts
Nice Yost!

I have the FSV-5.

Reactions: SRG and JD4044M

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
"I have the FSV-5. "

I'll presume that you're happy with it,JustinHEMI. Prior to my purchase,I spoke with YOST MFG. owner Pat Nelis and came away with the impression that the owner(s) are sincere about providing a quality product priced very fairly . Oh,and thanks for returning the thread to something YOST related.........

·
Registered
900 Posts
I have the Yost FSV-6. At the time, I wanted the FSV-7 but the jump in price from the 6 to the 7 was a bit ridiculous when compared to the jump from the 5 to the 6.
Having broken two cast iron Harbor Freight specials, I specifically sought out a forged steel vise this time. I didn't want to pay the prices I kept seeing for used Wiltons. I have no complaints about it yet. I haven't been very kind to it, and it's holding up pretty good for over 2yrs now.
I would buy it again, and probably will, when i expand the work shop into another section of my barn.
I Bought an Affordable Modern Bench Vise It DIDNT Suck! Who Knew?!? Yost FSV-6 Review - YouTube
Go to the 23min mark in that video to see the work out he gives that thing! LMAO

Apparently the ADI line of Yost Vises, has taken the place of the FSV line. Hmmm

Attachments

Reactions: Gizmo2 and JD4044M
1 - 20 of 28 Posts