Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here’s my experience- we were rearranging our shed digging out the shingles we had purchased last fall getting ready for the contractor when we decided to load up some of the smaller items in the car and then when I came back with truck and trailer I did not have to worry about small stuff. I could just load and go. So I brought the pallet of shingles (3 per layer and 7 high) along with some ice dam and felt paper to the trunk of my work car that we had with us. So I thought oh I will leave the pallet in the air and make it easier to grab off rather then bend over so far. Well I was on a slight incline and angled across that. Nothing bad and we had been on this all morning and never had a issue. So as I was getting out of tractor I felt it starting wanted to roll back. So I thought well I will just set the ballast box down and use that as a brake. Well when I did that the left rear tire came off the ground about 10 inches or so and all I could see was the thing tipping over. Luckily I was able to dive in and set the pallet back down and it all came down smooth.
Now please don’t ask why didn’t I use the parking brake? I have no idea. I rarely use it on either tractor to be honest and I did not think I was on a incline to write about.
Moral of the story never do any task without having your head in the game or getting rushed. This was our last pallet of the day to move so I guess you could say I let my guard down.
Stay safe out there.

·
Premium Member
6,150 Posts
That’s how Dale Earnhardt died. Last lap. Glad everyone’s OK and no damage

·
Premium Member
15,968 Posts
I seem to recall a Kubota guy on YouTube with a BX who uses a box blade for ballast. I recall him having an episode where he had a load in the bucket and all was well until he stepped off the tractor and then suddenly both rear wheels lifted off the ground.

·
Registered
26,418 Posts
For me the important part of the story is that you were aware enough of your suroundings to notice what has happening and had time to react. And, you knew exactly what to do in a split second.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
That's how it goes sometimes. You get in hurry at the end of the day to get your project done & something happens. At least you seen what was going on & was able to react quickly. Glad your ok.

·
Premium Member
12,776 Posts
The key was when a crisis occurred, you reacted immediately and in the correct manner to neutralize the problem. Most would have stood there (likely with their mouth's open) and done nothing. Then of course, there are now those who would have grabbed their phone to record everything and not done a constructive thing to help.

You saw, you immediately reacted and had the vision to alter your plan when your first response didn't provide a remedy.
Well done..........

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Then of course, there are now those who would have grabbed their phone to record everything and not done a constructive thing to help.
Yep your exactly right there. Then go & plaster it all over "bookface" & etc.

·
Registered
6,045 Posts
I didn't use to apply my parking brake either, until I was at my neighbors place on a slight incline and heard it make a noise. I turned around and it was inching it's way down the incline. So I went over and pulled on the parking brake. I have been using most of the time since. With the brake handle it is much easier to use.

Dave

·
Premium Member
18,094 Posts
Glad to hear everything turned out OK. But as Gizmo posted, you also found out you need more Ballast.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Talking about ballast. I was at Tractor Supply about 3 years ago took the paint gun out of its holder and about 24 ft of shelving slowly flip all over like a big ship rolling over. Some young worker came and started laughing, I said looks like you have a job to do then laugh. That wipe his 💩 eating grin off fast. True story!

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys for all great comments. It was kinda a trifecta if you will.
Lower the ballast box. This was the biggest issue
Then I got out, effectively removing more weight of what I like to call 292 lbs of chiseled aluminum:LOL:
And my wife removing one of the rolls of ice water dam from the high side of the pallet.
I have to get more use to the parking brake. The 3720 is way easier than the one on my 2520.
Like I said before I want to thank you all for all the kind words.

·
Premium Member
8,735 Posts
Hold the phone. Your wife was there, you need to tell her she needed to step back and and get the photo. :oops:

Glad for how it worked out.

Reactions: Gizmo2

·
Registered
213 Posts
Was that an open station or a cab? If it is open was the ROPS up?

·
Registered
26,418 Posts
I have to get more use to the parking brake. The 3720 is way easier than the one on my 2520.
I have a 2520 and you are correct in that it isn’t the easiest to use. But I’ve gotten into such a habit of using it I do it automatically now before I dismount.

Kind of like using your seat belt in your vehicle - it’s an automatic reflex to put it on when you get in.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Glad you are ok.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Ex John Deere Dealer sales manager here and commercial cutter now. Always use 4wd to get stopping action from the front wheels on slopes in addition to ballast. Not fun in 2wd with full loader going down a hill with rear tires barely touching the ground. Always carry your loader low to the ground to keep balance and for a quick drop to the ground if things get out of hand. Parking brake in 2wd with loader up and full takes a lot of weight off of rear tires. Be careful out there.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts