Green Tractor Talk banner

7421 - 7440 of 7521 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Here's another scam. Phone rings and caller leaves a message that you have an 'international' parcel delivery waiting for you at their office, could you call them back and quote this number ...... What they want is you to 'verify' their information but what you are doing is giving them seed information. Your address and any other information that they can glean from you. Then they call back later posing as a bank or other financial institution with some story about your account. They quote the information that they already have and ask you for some other information. Now they have everything they need to access your credit card or something else. I wasn't expecting any international deliveries so the red flag went up immediately. Went on line and there's the whole story. I called the Police and reported the phone number and the message, don't know if they could do anything about it. But if enough people know about the scam it won't work anymore. I really hate scammers.

·
Registered
8,221 Posts
Here's another one. Phone rings and caller leaves a message that you have an 'international' parcel delivery waiting for you at their office, could you call them back and quote this number ...... What they want is you to 'verify' their information but what you are doing is giving them seed information. Your address and any other information that they can glean from you. Then they call back later posing as a bank or other financial institution with some story about your account. They quote the information that they already have and ask you for some other information. Now they have everything they need to access your credit card or something else. I wasn't expecting any international deliveries so the red flag went up immediately. Went on line and there's the whole story. I called the Police and reported the phone number and the message, don't know if they could do anything about it. But if enough people know about the scam it won't work anymore.
It's a FACT that one of the best sources of a "mark" for those seeking to steal from and take advantage of people, is to target those who have previously been victimized in a financial fraud or similar scheme. You can actually purchase a marketing list of those people who have either reported being a victim of a swindle or who appear on settlement lists for having been taken in another fraudulent transaction.

Amazingly, its people's greed which often gets them into trouble and even those who have experienced loss before will end up being a victim of another fraud more than half of the time. I think the actual percentage is in the 60% category.

These people apparently believe in the free lunch and often will attempt to take a second bite at one, which is why they are targeted. These types of frauds are generally more targeted, but the people who fall for them once, more than half will end up being taken at least once more during their lifetime.

Also, a large percentage of people taken in frauds won't report them because of shame, embarrassment or other emotions. I told the story of a guy a year or so ago I was asked to help as his former girlfriends daughter and her ex con boyfriend were stealing his pension money and he was afraid to confront them or stop them because the boyfriend had physically threatened him not to say anything.

In the end, after he first allowed the money to continue to be taken from him, I convinced him to set up a trust and appoint me and someone else he trusted as the trustees and all transactions required my approval. The extent which some people will go to take money from others, instead of simply working for it often amazes me. In many cases, I think a legitimate job would require less time and certainly less stress than the effort they put into avoiding working for a living........

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
Was that bill the reason why you were there or was it for another bill? One of the things that I really dislike about politics is they spend so much time and effort to appear to be doing one thing, while their real goal is something different. Also, instead of simply doing what is right, often they do what gets them special consideration or special privileges. For example, massaging the real purpose of a bill to make it appear to be something else. And all of the attempts to make their actions appear to be something other than what they are.

The "if you do this for me, I will do that for you" part of politics sours my stomach. Why not just do what it right and in everyone's best interests? All of the back room dealing and self enrichment which goes on at the higher levels is just disgusting. How else do politicians enter politics at the House or Senate level and while being paid a salary of $175k, become multi millionaires? They have to maintain two places to live, at a minimum have or share an apartment in D.C. That alone consumes a decent share of their income.

My best friends daughter worked for two years at the mental facility where John Hinckley was a resident. Her apartment in Arlington, which was a studio, cost my buddy $2,200 a month plus another $300 a month for her parking spot in town. So while $175k is a decent wage in much of America, in the large metro areas, it is rapidly consumed with the cost of living. Yet many leave politics wealthy, after having "served the people".......Who are they really serving?

Politicians run on "reducing crime" so they create statistical data which they "massage" to produce the results which APPEAR to demonstrate their success. I don't like lies and I don't like having the "facts massaged". The simple truth is always the best policy, but it is becoming something which is harder and harder to find.

I just wish the process was void of all the special interest and other things which go on and those in power truly were working to serve those who elect them, instead of so often seeming to be focused on serving themselves first and foremost. For example, the "Carbon Credits" which the left has been so keen on and yet these credits have to be "traded" through one exchange or source to control their value and to allow their value to be "created" and manipulated by the exchange.

Of course in most cases, there are expensive fees for trading and exchanging these credits and often, guess who ultimately owns the exchanges through which these credit must be exchanged? Those who created the very credits and require their use. I can feel my stomach starting to churn.......

Politicians and even political parties have made the entire process of being a potential candidate for consideration so toxic, it keeps anyone who doesn't want to endure the unnecessary and brutal process of having your every life's action twisted and misrepresented, destroying anyone who dare consider dipping their toes into the water. This was by design and with the cooperation of the media, who largely shapes the news which they want to report to parrot their support for their hand picked candidates. Its a system which the founding fathers would struggle to recognize as the country which they so bravely founded.
I was there for another bill but while waiting, I did pay attention to the legislation they were discussing. You are correct in that much of it was miss characterized at least in the bill's titles and summary. I spotted three or four bills which seemed odd to say the least. When the bill came up for discussion, they weren't anywhere close to the summary handed out in the committee docket. Even more frustrating is that at least in Virginia, it's a common practice for a substitute bill to be adopted sometimes before anyone except the sponsor has time to read it. Many of the bills I watched go through the committee were substitute bills and frequently the first time the committee saw the substitute was when the patron got up to speak to the bill.

Many bills are fairly innocuous but I don't view a $100 million tax that way. Yes, it's less than $2/month on the average residential bill but it's going to be my $2. If a politician wants to steak $2 from my pocket, they should at least be an honest crook and tell me they are taking it instead of being a sneak thief.

Sadly, while in the past Virginia actually had a reputation for honest, ethical government that reputation is now shot and deservedly so. We still do have honest politicians such as the Senator Stuart I quoted in my original post but most new legislators appear both clueless and less honorable than their predecessors which included such figures as George Washington, Patrick Henry, Thomas Jefferson, John Marshall and similar men of stature and honor.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
8,221 Posts
I was there for another bill but while waiting, I did pay attention to the legislation they were discussing. You are correct in that much of it was miss characterized at least in the bill's titles and summary. I spotted three or four bills which seemed odd to say the least. When the bill came up for discussion, they weren't anywhere close to the summary handed out in the committee docket. Even more frustrating is that at least in Virginia, it's a common practice for a substitute bill to be adopted sometimes before anyone except the sponsor has time to read it. Many of the bills I watched go through the committee were substitute bills and frequently the first time the committee saw the substitute was when the patron got up to speak to the bill.

Many bills are fairly innocuous but I don't view a $100 million tax that way. Yes, it's less than $2/month on the average residential bill but it's going to be my $2. If a politician wants to steak $2 from my pocket, they should at least be an honest crook and tell me they are taking it instead of being a sneak thief.

Sadly, while in the past Virginia actually had a reputation for honest, ethical government that reputation is now shot and deservedly so. We still do have honest politicians such as the Senator Stuart I quoted in my original post but most new legislators appear both clueless and less honorable than their predecessors which included such figures as George Washington, Patrick Henry, Thomas Jefferson, John Marshall and similar men of stature and honor.

Treefarmer
Thanks for your reply. Lately, I read somewhere about how West Virginia's Governor had extended or actually, reminded some counties in Virginia that they are welcome to leave Virginia and join West Virginia. The reason I say "reminded" is that it appears this offer went back to the time when West Virginia was separated from Virginia at the time of the Civil War due to the split regarding whether Virginia was going to support continued slavery and West Virginia was formally joining the Union and abolished slavery.

If I understand the history as I read it some time ago, Virginia did not support abolishing slavery, but it also did not secede and join the Confederacy. It sounded like it was common with some of the "border states" to have portions of the state holding the political position of not leaving the Union, but also not calling for the end of slavery. That had to be confusing, especially for those slaves who were fleeing slavery as to where they were truly "safe" and where they were not..............

Also, your state has been in the media lately regarding some of the new legislatures delegates desire to fight the NRA and to drastically change gun laws. What the heck has been going on down there the last couple of months? Sounds like things have taken a drastic left turn?

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
Thanks for your reply. Lately, I read somewhere about how West Virginia's Governor had extended or actually, reminded some counties in Virginia that they are welcome to leave Virginia and join West Virginia. The reason I say "reminded" is that it appears this offer went back to the time when West Virginia was separated from Virginia at the time of the Civil War due to the split regarding whether Virginia was going to support continued slavery and West Virginia was formally joining the Union and abolished slavery.

If I understand the history as I read it some time ago, Virginia did not support abolishing slavery, but it also did not secede and join the Confederacy. It sounded like it was common with some of the "border states" to have portions of the state holding the political position of not leaving the Union, but also not calling for the end of slavery. That had to be confusing, especially for those slaves who were fleeing slavery as to where they were truly "safe" and where they were not..............

Also, your state has been in the media lately regarding some of the new legislatures delegates desire to fight the NRA and to drastically change gun laws. What the heck has been going on down there the last couple of months? Sounds like things have taken a drastic left turn?
During the Civil War or the late unpleasantness as it's sometimes called, the invitation to join West Virginia was extended to three Virginia counties. Two counties did change and one did not. Technically Frederick County Virginia still has an invitation on the books to become part of West Virginia as the law allowing them to join was never repealed. For counties other than Frederick, I believe West Virginia must pass a law allowing the other counties to join.

The Virginia legislature was drastically altered in last year's election primarily by new legislators being elected from the suburbs of Washington DC. A LOT of money came in from out of state funding campaigns of very left leaning candidates, including from Michael Doomburg. He naturally wants a return on his investment. So yes, bills have been introduced on all types of "common stupidity" gun laws including a limit on magazine capacity which would make illegal most double stack pistols, red flag laws, a ban on assault weapons (whatever that is), and similar nonsense. Some of those have passed one house or the other, some have failed and any that pass will have to stand muster in the courts.

Treefarmer

·
Premium Member
7,341 Posts

Politicians run on "reducing crime" so they create statistical data which they "massage" to produce the results which APPEAR to demonstrate their success. I don't like lies and I don't like having the "facts massaged". The simple truth is always the best policy, but it is becoming something which is harder and harder to find.

I just wish the process was void of all the special interest and other things which go on and those in power truly were working to serve those who elect them, instead of so often seeming to be focused on serving themselves first and foremost. For example, the "Carbon Credits" which the left has been so keen on and yet these credits have to be "traded" through one exchange or source to control their value and to allow their value to be "created" and manipulated by the exchange.

Of course in most cases, there are expensive fees for trading and exchanging these credits and often, guess who ultimately owns the exchanges through which these credit must be exchanged? Those who created the very credits and require their use. I can feel my stomach starting to churn.......

I call statistics the art and science of making numbers lie.

Think of Carbon Credits like Bitcoin.

·
Premium Member
7,341 Posts
Vaulted ceilings and smoke detectors.

Vaulted ceilings are evil, especially when a code required smoke detector starts chirping in the middle of the night. So today's chore was move the tractor, get out the extension ladder, drag it inside to cure the problem, and do the reverse to finish the job.

Besides JTPYO; does anyone know why smoke detectors always chirp a low battery signal at night?

·
Registered
21,563 Posts
I know this has been mentioned numerous times in this thread.....but today it was a gear grinder for me again.

People who refuse to turn their headlights on when it’s foggy/rainy. Today it was a combination of fog and a mist of rain and sleet/snow. A majority of them had daytime running lights. And most of them the daytime running lights were little LED lights in a fancy arrangement. First off those lights are not aimed at all - secondly they are very bright. So instead of being visible on a terrible day like today they are more blinding.

I am pretty sure most or these cars would have automatic lights. Here again people just defer to the technology rather than use their heads and not be so lazy. I mean how hard is it to turn a knob a notch?

·
Registered
8,797 Posts
Craigslist is so much fun.

I’ve got the snowmobile posted for sale. It describes how it runs, starting it, existing defects, that if the add is up it’s available, and I’m not interested in negotiations unless the cash is in reach.

15 minutes after posting I get a reply still available? Yes I just posted it. Does it run? Yes it’s ready to ride. Then nothing back until today. Are you interested in trades? Not really, the only ones I would consider are things I can sell today for the same or more money. I have a motorcycle....it’s snowing outside and even if it wasn’t it’s not motorcycle season, get back to me in April if it’s still posted. In April snowmobiling is over I won’t want it...so why are you wasting my time?

Then I just get another email, call me if it’s available #######. I call will you take 60%? No, I’m not negotiating if you haven’t looked at it. What’s the best you’ll do? The add says $xxx, that’s my price unless you’re pulling out cash in front of me. Ok I’ll keep it in mind...

·
Registered
21,563 Posts
Craigslist is so much fun.

I’ve got the snowmobile posted for sale. It describes how it runs, starting it, existing defects, that if the add is up it’s available, and I’m not interested in negotiations unless the cash is in reach.

15 minutes after posting I get a reply still available? Yes I just posted it. Does it run? Yes it’s ready to ride. Then nothing back until today. Are you interested in trades? Not really, the only ones I would consider are things I can sell today for the same or more money. I have a motorcycle....it’s snowing outside and even if it wasn’t it’s not motorcycle season, get back to me in April if it’s still posted. In April snowmobiling is over I won’t want it...so why are you wasting my time?

Then I just get another email, call me if it’s available #######. I call will you take 60%? No, I’m not negotiating if you haven’t looked at it. What’s the best you’ll do? The add says $xxx, that’s my price unless you’re pulling out cash in front of me. Ok I’ll keep it in mind...
So will you take a check......for 65% of the price?

I don’t know how you do it. Since there is no craigslist that serves my area I’ve never been involved.

We should have a dedicated thread for “Craigslist Stories” - I find the ones you post just amazing.

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
So will you take a check......for 65% of the price?

I don’t know how you do it. Since there is no craigslist that serves my area I’ve never been involved.

We should have a dedicated thread for “Craigslist Stories” - I find the ones you post just amazing.
It's too bad that CL has scammers and idiots plus some good people. I saw an ad for a 4410 and called the person. He said a lady had spoken for the tractor and would be back in two days with cash and he was holding it for her but if I wanted to take a look, that was fine. I went and looked at the tractor- it was pretty much as advertised. We had a nice conversation and I told him that if the lady didn't show up to call me. He didn't call but I happened to drive through that area a few days later and the tractor was gone.

He was a stand up guy. I didn't get the tractor which is ok but I met somebody doing business the right way. He buys tractors and equipment, makes minor repairs and resells them. I wish all CL posters were like him.

Treefarmer

·
Administrator
20,368 Posts
We do have a Craigslist stories thread...

·
Registered
21,563 Posts
We do have a Craigslist stories thread...
I did a forum search and found quite a few possibilities -

I think this last one could be a good default Craiglist thread but it seems to be a free for all of threads.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
During the Civil War or the late unpleasantness as it's sometimes called......
I used to spend a lot of time with a girl whose family was from rural Georgia. She said that they referred to it as "The War of Northern Aggression". :oops:

·
Registered
8,797 Posts
The snowmobile caller texted this morning saying he wanted to pickup in an hour...ok....I’ll bring 80%....nope....90?......you haven’t even looked at it......95%, that’s all I can do......ok, here’s my address......they checked it all out and when counting out cash they only had 90%, I would have accepted that if that’s what the offered after accepting but because it was just playing games I sent them to to atm. They came back with the agreed upon amount and off they went with a sled. Apparently they went and looked at others in the price range and realized i wasn’t gouging for like other sellers.

·
Registered
21,563 Posts
The snowmobile caller texted this morning saying he wanted to pickup in an hour...ok....I’ll bring 80%....nope....90?......you haven’t even looked at it......95%, that’s all I can do......ok, here’s my address......they checked it all out and when counting out cash they only had 90%, I would have accepted that if that’s what the offered after accepting but because it was just playing games I sent them to to atm. They came back with the agreed upon amount and off they went with a sled. Apparently they went and looked at others in the price range and realized i wasn’t gouging for like other sellers.
Good for you!

I would never go look at something I was serious without enough money for the asking price.

Now I might put 90% in one pocket - show that and ask. But if they said no, and I wanted it, I would pull the rest out of my other pocket.

·
Registered
8,797 Posts
Good for you!

I would never go look at something I was serious without enough money for the asking price.

Now I might put 90% in one pocket - show that and ask. But if they said no, and I wanted it, I would pull the rest out of my other pocket.
That’s exactly how I operate, I can leave exactly what I need to in my pocket without it looking like I’m just digging it out. On things that don’t really need inspection and the price is agreed to ahead of time I make sure I have exactly that set aside. The oh I messed up and only brought x is a game. The guy asked, that really doesn’t work for you? My reply was it’s just about doing what you said.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Self checkouts.
So I'm at Target, and there's at least 10 checkouts & only 2 are open.
There are 4 self checkouts and they've got 2 people helping people out at those and everything would have went a whole lot smoother & faster if they'd have simply opened 2 more checkouts.
I imagine that the theory is that the self checkouts show up for work, don't need smoke breaks, don't steal, work Holidays and never fail a piss test.
I guess now that I explained it to myself I get it!

7421 - 7440 of 7521 Posts