Green Tractor Talk banner

7441 - 7460 of 7521 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,341 Posts
We're expecting company on Monday and we have just enough snow that their puddle jumper car will get hung up in it. So I plowed the driveway with Bambi and the rear blade, which went well...except for the freezing my ass off part. Against my better judgement I decided to do the front walk in front of the house. I was so busy making sure I didn't smack the bollard lights that I ripped a downspout. I called it a day.

Now if Deere and/or the dealer hadn't dropped the ball getting the front blade for my X754 I could have used it to plow if they had gotten it to me a couple of weeks earlier when we had 60's and 70's in January. So I have the blade, etc in the garage waiting for warmer temps that are not in the forecast to install it. Why? JTPYO!

I wish I could justify a cab tractor.

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
I used to spend a lot of time with a girl whose family was from rural Georgia. She said that they referred to it as "The War of Northern Aggression". :oops:
I started to use that but there are too many good people from above the Mason Dixon line so I dialed it back to the "Late unpleasantness".

I recently read some of Bruce Catton's books on the Civil War. Although now dated, he was very good historically and a heck of a writer.

Treefarmer

·
Premium Member
7,341 Posts
The Northern Irish described their country's sectarian violence as 'The Troubles.'

Related to my previous post about wanting a cab tractor; I just did a Deere build my own for a 3039 cab tractor and it came to a MSRP of $46k+ of which $18k were in options (cab and related required options). OUCH! Even if I got 10% - 15% off, I doubt a 19-year old 4200 would fetch much on a trade to further lower the over all cost.

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
The Northern Irish described their country's sectarian violence as 'The Troubles.'

Related to my previous post about wanting a cab tractor; I just did a Deere build my own for a 3039 cab tractor and it came to a MSRP of $46k+ of which $18k were in options (cab and related required options). OUCH! Even if I got 10% - 15% off, I doubt a 19-year old 4200 would fetch much on a trade to further lower the over all cost.
There's always the lottery. Somebody is winning it, it sure isn't me.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
I started to use that but there are too many good people from above the Mason Dixon line so I dialed it back to the "Late unpleasantness".

I recently read some of Bruce Catton's books on the Civil War. Although now dated, he was very good historically and a heck of a writer.
I'm going to look up some of his books. THANKS!

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
I'm going to look up some of his books. THANKS!
He wrote quite a few. I read A Stillness at Appomattox years ago and recently just read his books on U.S. Grant which were very good. They followed him from before the Civil War through.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
we got al little snow yesterday, roads were snow covered and slick. had a minivan just about rub up against me. Luckily for me my F 250 is tall or I would have lost my mirror. I look to see whose driving it and its a young woman texting , steering with her knee. Why woul one even think of touChing a phone when driving on a multi lane road that has 4” of snow on it ??? After that incident I started watching and noticed at least 6 other drivers with phones in their hands . I can understand what’s so important that it can’t wait until you at least get out of heavy traffic. If for some reason you need to talk on a phone while driving, why would you get some type of hands free device.

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
we got al little snow yesterday, roads were snow covered and slick. had a minivan just about rub up against me. Luckily for me my F 250 is tall or I would have lost my mirror. I look to see whose driving it and its a young woman texting , steering with her knee. Why woul one even think of touChing a phone when driving on a multi lane road that has 4” of snow on it ??? After that incident I started watching and noticed at least 6 other drivers with phones in their hands . I can understand what’s so important that it can’t wait until you at least get out of heavy traffic. If for some reason you need to talk on a phone while driving, why would you get some type of hands free device.
I've answered a phone holding it in my hand before but if I had to dial or text, it meant pulling off the road. Now with hands free and voice commands, I don't feel too bad about making calls although sometimes it's frustrating to get the phone to recognize a name in the contact list.

If I'm in heavy traffic or questionable road conditions, I don't worry about the phone. Somebody can leave a message or not. If I've got to call, it's time to pull off the road in those conditions.

Treefarmer

·
Premium Member
7,341 Posts
When it comes to cell phones while driving; I'm a firm believer in "HANG UP AND DRIVE!" or "PARK AND TALK!" I also practice what I preach. I recall (pun intended) trying to talk and drive at the same time when I got my first cell phone in the 90's; it scared the crap out of me the couple of times I did it.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I wish I would have had an old style house phone yesterday. I was talking to a "service" rep from
the power company about my late MIL's account. She refused to answer my question about the final
months billing and then she said "is there anything else I can help you with?".

I replied , "anything else? What do you mean anything else can you help me with?
Hell , you refused to help me with the one simple question I asked. ! "
The conversation went quickly downhill and I hung up on her.

But swiping a smart phone with my thumb does not , absolutely does NOT give the satisfaction one gets
by banging an old style phone receiver down on the phone when hanging up on some moron.

·
Premium Member
4,774 Posts
I still have a few of those old school phones in my stash of old technology that works.
I have one rotary in the shop I never use. I used the other day to call NAPA. 1st thing was I could call NAPA because I remember any number I used to call before my smart phone, none since. If I lost my smart phone it would be a very short list of who I could call. 2. my word it takes a long time to call some one dialing all those numbers on a rotary.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I have one rotary in the shop I never use. I used the other day to call NAPA. 1st thing was I could call NAPA because I remember any number I used to call before my smart phone, none since. If I lost my smart phone it would be a very short list of who I could call. 2. my word it takes a long time to call some one dialing all those numbers on a rotary.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
One ringy, two ringy...... courtesy of Laugh In from the 60's.

Dave

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
tenor.gif

·
Registered
8,221 Posts
One of my neighbors had an "incident" and ended up in jail. His phone was in his car, which the rollback wrecker picked up and dropped off in his driveway while he was on his way to jail. The only phone number he could "remember" was his in laws phone number which has been the same since the 1990's. Since there is no longer any "directory assistance" for phone numbers for everyone who uses a cell phone, he didn't know who else to call. He ended up calling them to come and get him out of jail and they live 4.5 hours away.

I wished they had called me, but they said "they didn't want to bother me at that hour", which wouldn't have mattered as I sleep like crap anyways and usually am awake every two hours, on a good night. His wife and kids were at her parents house at the time and I wish she would have called me, as I would have gone down and gotten him out. But I think she also wanted to have a chat with him.........

Then my neighbor says to me "The guy in charge of the jail who came through when I was being booked had on a name tag and he had what I thought was the same last name as yours." I told him, "Yes, that is my brother......he would have known how to get a hold of me.............You should have said something to him." Oh well......

I will have to ask my brother what the policy is on allowing people to access their phones once they are at the jail and being processed. Most people, especially younger people, probably have no idea of most of their daily called phone numbers any more since smart phones and contacts are used so often now.

7441 - 7460 of 7521 Posts