Green Tractor Talk banner

7621 - 7633 of 7633 Posts

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
I have drank pre-denatured ethanol. Trust me, it's horrible.
Ethanol plants simply make raw alcohol, they do not take any of the extra processes that the Spirits distillers take to enhance the flavor or smoothness.
And you proclaim yourself to be some kind of Dr.??? in your member handle?

I’ll take a wildazz guess as to which type Dr. you could possibly be. WITCH DOCTOR ?
1576711130134.gif
1576531026636.gif
animated-smileys-laughing-041-gif.721442.gif
doctor2-needle-gif.731085.gif

·
Registered
2,956 Posts

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
There is 99.99999% pure industrial ethanol, and it is drinkable.
That is what I had, pure ethanol, and yes it is drinkable, but by no means is it good to drink. I still have a little I bring out occasionally for people to satisfy their curiosity.
Once the denaturant is added it would be very harmful to consume. The only purpose to denature is to prevent consumption.

·
Registered
8,959 Posts
That is what I had, pure ethanol, and yes it is drinkable, but by no means is it good to drink. I still have a little I bring out occasionally for people to satisfy their curiosity.
Once the denaturant is added it would be very harmful to consume. The only purpose to denature is to prevent consumption.
If it was going to be denatured it wasn’t that pure. The 5-9’s purity stuff was $300 a liter if you bought 24 liters. I think it dropped to $250 a liter if you bought a barrel. Laboratory grade purity was about 10% the cost. Denatured costs about 1% of what the ultra pure costs.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
The 5-9’s purity stuff was $300 a liter if you bought 24 liters. I think it dropped to $250 a liter if you bought a barrel. Laboratory grade purity was about 10% the cost.
I've worked on or in 8 ethanol plants, but I have to admit that I have no idea what you are talking about?

·
Registered
8,959 Posts
I've worked on or in 8 ethanol plants, but I have to admit that I have no idea what you are talking about?
Semiconductor grade chemicals are unbelievably pure, one atom of contamination can ruin a chip. Lab grade is for doing titrations and cleaning electronics it must still be pure but not to the level of measuring contamination by the atom.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Semiconductor grade chemicals are unbelievably pure, one atom of contamination can ruin a chip. Lab grade is for doing titrations and cleaning electronics it must still be pure but not to the level of measuring contamination by the atom.
I didn't know that ethanol plants were producing this product. Interesting.

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
I didn't know that ethanol plants were producing this product. Interesting.
Up to this past week, they didn't have permission to do so. While the plants produce ethanol, they weren't FDA certified and it took the FDA a while to decide that we needed the sanitizer more than the paperwork. I had a friend who was a farmer and started growing corn for a corn chip plant. It took him about 2 years to get his processing plant certified for food.

Treefarmer

7621 - 7633 of 7633 Posts