Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had my 50 hour service done by my dealer on my 1025r last week. I went and picked Johnny up Monday evening after I got out of work. Paid the $250 for the service (I know I could have done it myself, but with it being under warranty and pressed for time it was worth the money for me) and loaded him up on my trailer and pulled him home. Got home with no issues and cooked dinner real quick for the family before I went out and unloaded, connected the mowing deck, disconnected the front bucket, and went to mow. Hit the PTO switch and got nothing. Hmmm.... Hit it again...nothing. Drive back over to the barn, disconnect the mowing deck and this is what I saw.

PTO Shaft.jpg

Trying not to panic, I crawled underneath and figured out within a couple minutes how to reconnect the drive shaft. It must have fell off pulling it home is the only thing I can think of. Went to reconnect the mowing deck and couldn't get it to reconnect. Now I'm extremely frustrated at this time. Blood pressure is rising and lots of colorful language is flying around the barn. I keep trying for about 30 minutes and I'm extremely upset. Thankfully my father-in-law stopped by and gave me an extra set of eyes. He says "You close, but it just looks like your crooked." So I take a deep breath, drive back away from the deck for a longer distance to give myself a better line, and Bingo! She clicks right in. So basically everything was just my fault.

So what did I learn?

1. How to reconnect the PTO shaft. Not that big of deal.
2. Slow down, take a deep breath, and don't panic!

Everything was great after that. No problems. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Yea that’s kind of alarming that it would do that. Did you ask the service dept if it’s OK for it to fall out like that?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea that’s kind of alarming that it would do that. Did you ask the service dept if it’s OK for it to fall out like that?

Good call Kbar. I called the dealer and spoke with the service rep and he took full responsibility. It's not supposed to come off. He is actually going to run out to my house after work tonight and check it out for me. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
9,127 Posts
Good call Kbar. I called the dealer and spoke with the service rep and he took full responsibility. It's not supposed to come off. He is actually going to run out to my house after work tonight and check it out for me. Thanks!
Just curious, in what part of Michigan are you located? I don't need the specific city for confidentiality reasons, just SE, SW, NE, NW, Central, UP, etc. would be adequate......I am wondering which dealer or dealer group you are dealing with..........

Thanks.....

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just curious, in what part of Michigan are you located? I don't need the specific city for confidentiality reasons, just SE, SW, NE, NW, Central, UP, etc. would be adequate......I am wondering which dealer or dealer group you are dealing with..........

Thanks.....
Sulley I'm dealing with Tri County Equipment located in Birch Run, Mi.

·
Super Moderator
2,448 Posts
As you probably found out, there's a locking collar on the PTO shaft that locks onto the stub shaft of the transmission. Removing the PTO shaft allows better access to the trans filter to remove it. Most likely they didn't give the shaft a good tug when they put it back on after the filter change. Good thing you caught it before some real damage happened.

·
Premium Member
3,921 Posts
I am making a place my PTO Shaft on my rear equipment on my 4044M to fall into if it breaks or comes apart on my big 7 1/2 ft rear snow blower. I dropped one like your in my water tender. I was so glad the yoke just pulled out and the rear dropped. I knew it would happen and told the Fire People I will wheel hop on that hill and drop a drive shaft getting your water up that steep loose hill. It happen on the 3rd trip and I called a welder I knew near the fire and we welded the yoke back in. In 8 years I broke 2 drive lines pulling the yokes out but they were welded back in. That is the only damage or break down I ever had with it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Me Too

I made the same mistake, myself, earlier this year after changing hydro oil. In my case, the end of the mower PTO shaft was pretty well dinged up and required clean up filing to get it to go back on smoothly.

You were lucky more damage was not done, including a damaged case.

Reactions: BigK and kylew
1 - 11 of 11 Posts