Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the events from my childhood for which I wanted a "do-over" ...

My brother got up early one morning and ate two cheescakes our mother had prepared for a social club meeting that day (yes, both of them!). She was not amused, and began putting bright yellow notes on everything that was off limits. I returned home late one evening to find dozens of fresh cookies on the kitchen counter, with a note that read "NO!!! Not even ONE!" I didn't eat any, but decided to be a wise guy and wrote on the bottom of her note "Did you count?" Well she had counted, and Dad was busted, thanks to me.

What is/was on your list?

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I was maybe 13 and my sister was 14. We were having a heated argument about who knows what and she was making me so mad! I picked up my skateboard and pretended to hit her over the head with it, stopping halfway. But I wasn't taking inertia and momentum into account, and while I stopped my hands halfway, the end of the skateboard kept going and hit her in the head. I'll never forget the look on her face... an "I can't believe you really did that" expression. I can only imagine the horrified look on mine. She later admitted it didn't hurt at all, but of course ran inside to take advantage of the opportunity to get me in trouble with mom and dad! I never picked up a skateboard in anger again. :laugh:

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was maybe 13 and my sister was 14. We were having a heated argument about who knows what and she was making me so mad! I picked up my skateboard and pretended to hit her over the head with it, stopping halfway. But I wasn't taking inertia and momentum into account, and while I stopped my hands halfway, the end of the skateboard kept going and hit her in the head. I'll never forget the look on her face... an "I can't believe you really did that" expression. I can only imagine the horrified look on mine. She later admitted it didn't hurt at all, but of course ran inside to take advantage of the opportunity to get me in trouble with mom and dad! I never picked up a skateboard in anger again.
I'm not sure I would take that one back. How else is a kid to learn about principles of science and physics without such experiments?
(I'm sure your sister had plenty of other opportunities to get you in trouble, so one more probably made little difference, right?)
:hornets:

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Wish I had never married the wrong woman.
Wish I had pursued either a military or government career.
Wish I had the vision and patience to have obtained a minimum four year degree.

·
Super Moderator
7,882 Posts
Filled a quart mason jar with beetles I picked off a peony plant and dumped them down my sister's shirt. She wasn't amused.:laugh:

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
There's four of us kids. When I was about 6 or 7, my oldest sister who would have been 14 or 15 at the time, was put in charge of us other three while my parents were out for a bit. She was (and still is) kind of bossy! :laugh: My brother and I were getting into some sort of mischief and she was banging on our bedroom door demanding to be let in. I had an elastic belt with a metal clip buckle. My brother (about 10 or 11) and I hooked one end of the belt on to the door handle and stretched that dude out! When we finally let her open the door, we let loose of the buckle and it hit her in the face - shattering her glasses! It's been 50 years and she's still PO'd! :laugh:

==================

Same sister got married in 1974 when I was 12. After the ceremony and the reception, everyone was throwing the rice at the happy couple. They went walking down the street in front of the church and got in my BIL's car. There were still several little rice bags left over so I grabbed several of them and went running down the street and tossed them all into the open car window! :laugh: They were still picking rice out of the carpet when they sold that car a few years later.

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
Thinking about a "do-over"... a really interesting thought. I'm sure after I think about this for a while, I'll come up with more things. Most things I've done in the past usually goes, "I made a decision, good or bad, you can't go back, then just accept it and go on with life, do better next time".

That being said, one of my "regrets" would probably be that I never served in the military. When I was of age, we were in the middle of the Vietnam war, there weren't too many enlistees at that time. My lottery number was high enough that I wasn't called, and I was studying in college, so I actually never gave it another thought. Plus I didn't know many veterans at that time. My father, who was a master sergeant in WWII, told me that enlisting during the Vietnam era was not a very smart thing to do, and at that age, I took his advice without argument.

Flash forward many years, and I have met some veterans, heard from quite a few vets on GTT, and see how being in the military has enriched their lives. If I could do it all again, and be at a time we were not in very active war, I could see myself enlisting for a stint.

So my hat's off to all who serve/served in the military and especially those who serve/served in active wartime. But alas, I'm too old to go back and do something about it now.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
481 Posts
OsRoy -

my youngest sibling is the only female after three older brothers. In our family, each successive child got away with more than the older ones did. My sister never missed an opportunity to rat me out to Mom and Dad for offenses real or imagined. She never really fully caught on that there was more fun to be had if she weren't such a tattle-tale. This behavior speaks volumes towards our 50+ year dysfunction, which will be put to the test again next weekend.

My do-overs?: 1) not marrying the first wife, 2) getting a master's degree, 3) loading the investment boat with Amazon stock in 1997, and 4) spending more time walking the property that we now own with my late F-I-L to learn more about it. All in all, I've been blessed with a great life and my run is not yet over,

Brian :bigbeer

I was maybe 13 and my sister was 14. We were having a heated argument about who knows what and she was making me so mad! I picked up my skateboard and pretended to hit her over the head with it, stopping halfway. But I wasn't taking inertia and momentum into account, and while I stopped my hands halfway, the end of the skateboard kept going and hit her in the head. I'll never forget the look on her face... an "I can't believe you really did that" expression. I can only imagine the horrified look on mine. She later admitted it didn't hurt at all, but of course ran inside to take advantage of the opportunity to get me in trouble with mom and dad! I never picked up a skateboard in anger again. :laugh:

·
Registered
292 Posts
I have too many to list but at the top it would be getting my Engineering degree from Devry instead of just an Assoc in Electronics.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I did a mean thing to my dad when I was in high school. Every week he liked to watch the Jackie Gleason show. It was about the only show he watched on a regular basis. I wanted to watch something on a different channel during that same time slot. So..... I got home from school before he and my mom got home from work. I took the back off the tv set. Removed the tuner and took out the RF strip that tuned in the channel that Gleason came on. Mechanical tuners back in the day had a removable strip for each of the 13 channels. I put the set back together and when you tried to select that channel it would appear to be off the air, just static. Later that night when he sat down to watch his show, turned on the tv, figured the station was off the air and left the room. I turned the tv to my show. Then the next day put the tuner back together. Pretty rotten eh? I always regretted that. I bought him the Gleason show episodes on dvd many years later to atone. I never did tell him, to ashamed.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I did a mean thing to my dad when I was in high school. Every week he liked to watch the Jackie Gleason show. It was about the only show he watched on a regular basis. I wanted to watch something on a different channel during that same time slot. So..... I got home from school before he and my mom got home from work. I took the back off the tv set. Removed the tuner and took out the RF strip that tuned in the channel that Gleason came on. Mechanical tuners back in the day had a removable strip for each of the 13 channels. I put the set back together and when you tried to select that channel it would appear to be off the air, just static. Later that night when he sat down to watch his show, turned on the tv, figured the station was off the air and left the room. I turned the tv to my show. Then the next day put the tuner back together. Pretty rotten eh? I always regretted that. I bought him the Gleason show episodes on dvd many years later to atone. I never did tell him, to ashamed.
Yunno, if I was a father in my later years, that story would warm my heart. If he's still around tell him...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
Stayed in the Air Force and try to get station in Area 51.:spy:

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
I remember those tuners ... had to clean the contacts every so often. My father would have told me how innovative I would have been to think of such a scheme. :lolol:
But he'd forgive me. So I agree that you should tell him and have a laugh over it ... if it's not too late.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
4,560 Posts
Filled a quart mason jar with beetles I picked off a peony plant and dumped them down my sister's shirt. She wasn't amused.:laugh:
Hmmm, The laugh makes me think you would do that again tomorrow if you had the chance.:laugh:

·
Premium Member
13,951 Posts
One regret..

The week of Jan 4 th, 1981 , I was scheduled training in Charleston, WV for MaBell. Before leaving on Sunday I told dad I would call him every evening, since he hadn't been feeling well . My wife and youngest daughter had gone with me , so Tues evening we were invited to the house of a co worker. We were late getting back to the hotel so I never called dad that night.

Dad passed away the next morning, when I called home to talk to mom she told me dad had set up till almost midnight waiting for my phone call.

·
Administrator
20,285 Posts
Damn Gene, that’s a tough one.

·
Registered
82 Posts
The one do-over I wish was back in 1976, I joined the National Guard..After I completed basic training and AIT at Fort Dix I returned home to my unit.. I regret not transferring back into full time Army.. I really liked it and should have stayed.. I missed out on so much..

1 - 20 of 44 Posts