Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have owned several, however, the 40T with 35 loader and 2 row cultivators that I bought for $1500 in 1975 was probably the most worked tractor on the farm for many years. We set tobacco with it, plowed our tobacco with it, raked hay, pulled hay and tobacco wagons, planted 40 acres of corn with a 2 row planter and loaded and unloaded machinery in our business for 20 years. I Did do 1 ring job for $175 and finally sold it with the loader in 2005 for $3500. What 2 cyl was your workhorse? Ken

·
Registered
733 Posts
I dont technically "own it"...but it belongs to my FIL..I can use it anytime :beer:
JD 430C...I never realized how powerful a popper was until I drove one with tracks.

As for which popper I'd personally love to have around...the plan is buy one as soon as I build my shop, great father & son project...it a toss up between a 435 and a 730 Diesel. What will make the difference is whatever one I find first...

·
Registered
213 Posts
I grew up on a John Deere model 40 with the old school tricycle front end. We restored it back in the day. Store it outside and well the exhaust manifold rusted out and the cylinders filled up with water. That wast not fun busting those pistons out. We fixed it up and kept it going.

Man those old tractors are cool, but there is a reason why we don't use them any more. I know I would either be dead or missing some major body part by now.

D.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I grew up on a John Deere model 40 with the old school tricycle front end. We restored it back in the day. Store it outside and well the exhaust manifold rusted out and the cylinders filled up with water. That wast not fun busting those pistons out. We fixed it up and kept it going.

Man those old tractors are cool, but there is a reason why we don't use them any more. I know I would either be dead or missing some major body part by now.

D.
I know what you mean, I turned my 40 T with 35 FEL over 1 time back in the eighties. I was lifting a log on a hillside and when she started coming off the ground at the rear. I jumped off and ran down the hill and the tractor rolled right behind me. Because the loader was on and the mounting brackets were above the hood line, I had no damage other than a busted muffler and little kink in the steering wheel. Ken

·
Registered
46 Posts
I do not own this, but I would like to... I know how much you guys like photos, so here is a very nice John Deere Model 50, tricycle with Front Loader. Enjoy!

50 tri.jpg

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is one heck of a bucket for a 50. My 40T had a 4 ft bucket on it. That looks 6 ft in the picture?? Ken Sweet

·
Registered
3 Posts
Wow, that's a nice 50.... but WHAT A CLEAN SHOP!!!

I've got a '48 B that is in the middle of an engine rebuild. It's my favorite because it belonged to my grandpa!

·
Registered
40 Posts
old johnnys

I'm 66, so I've been around these machines all my life and like them. I was gifted a 630 a few years back by my s.i.l., but it was a bit tired. Probably had not had an oil change in years. I stripped it down all I could without getting into the bowels too far, flushed everything out good, replaced about everything rubber, put a better nose piece on the end of hood, and brakes, painted it with JD paint, put a new seat. Thankfully the gears and engine were in good shape, just needed a lot of TLC to clean out the insides. I use it frequently to mow and disk a little 2 acre plot on the farm here. Tractor can set 3 months, just tickle the starter with choke on for 1 second, boom, she's a running. Love a 630.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm 66, so I've been around these machines all my life and like them. I was gifted a 630 a few years back by my s.i.l., but it was a bit tired. Probably had not had an oil change in years. I stripped it down all I could without getting into the bowels too far, flushed everything out good, replaced about everything rubber, put a better nose piece on the end of hood, and brakes, painted it with JD paint, put a new seat. Thankfully the gears and engine were in good shape, just needed a lot of TLC to clean out the insides. I use it frequently to mow and disk a little 2 acre plot on the farm here. Tractor can set 3 months, just tickle the starter with choke on for 1 second, boom, she's a running. Love a 630.

Don't you just love that sound they make when you get them in a hard, slow pull? Ken Sweet

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
I've got a '48 B that is in the middle of an engine rebuild. It's my favorite because it belonged to my grandpa!
WELCOME! Yeah, we would like to see your project.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have always been a fan of the thirty series, so I would say 730 Diesel Row Crop with a wide front. ( When I have a chance to buy one) A friend of mine has one that is really nice. Now the Most fun I have had has been on a buddy's 730 RC that runs on LPG. Had some pretty good hooks with that tractor.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have owned several, however, the 40T with 35 loader and 2 row cultivators that I bought for $1500 in 1975 was probably the most worked tractor on the farm for many years. We set tobacco with it, plowed our tobacco with it, raked hay, pulled hay and tobacco wagons, planted 40 acres of corn with a 2 row planter and loaded and unloaded machinery in our business for 20 years. I Did do 1 ring job for $175 and finally sold it with the loader in 2005 for $3500. What 2 cyl was your workhorse? Ken
My 620 standard. I bought it in 1991 for farm work. I restored it in 2004 for shows.

·
Administrator
20,476 Posts
That is a beautiful tractor Steve! Looks great:thumbup1gif:

I hope one day my poor 'ol 60 looks half as good as your tractor.
IMG_1487.JPG
That's the most recent picture. The contraption bolted to the front was a ditch digging device my grandfather had built. I have since removed it. She's a long way from poppin', but not in the grave yet!:drinks:

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Thought I'd died and gone to heaven when I was able to get this one!!!

That's one model I hope to purchase in the future. An uncle of mine bought his new in 1947 or 1949,but later sold it when his father decided to quit farming. Was hoping to find the exact same tractor, but that appears to be impossible. He is now deceased and I never found out the serial #.

Was hoping to get my 70 at least running before a good friend passed away recently. He farmed with mules first, and later transitioned to JD's and other brands. I was able to tell him about the 70 a few weeks before his passing. Despite his illness, he was able to find the strength to talk about his yellow and green years on the farm and was looking forward to hearing more about my latest project. Sure do miss him.

·
Administrator
20,476 Posts
Was hoping to get my 70 at least running before a good friend passed away recently. He farmed with mules first, and later transitioned to JD's and other brands. I was able to tell him about the 70 a few weeks before his passing. Despite his illness, he was able to find the strength to talk about his yellow and green years on the farm and was looking forward to hearing more about my latest project. Sure do miss him.
All the more reason to get it going. You'll have something to remember him by:good2: It's the same reason I have my model 60. It was my grandfather's tractor. I have absolutely no need for an antique full size farm tractor (other than for fun), but you could never buy it from me.:kidw_truck_smiley:

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
All the more reason to get it going. You'll have something to remember him by:good2: It's the same reason I have my model 60. It was my grandfather's tractor. I have absolutely no need for an antique full size farm tractor (other than for fun), but you could never buy it from me.:kidw_truck_smiley:
You are so right.:thumbup1gif: That reminds me(just like any typical tractor addict:laugh:) there's a 730 just a short skip and jump from where I bought the 70. It's sitting in a pasture with lots of goats to keep it from being too lonely. Trying to figure out something with that one. It's a LP row crop just like the 70, but has a three point. Not sure on the year model or much else. Very little rust.

I don't think there's much hope for getting rid of this affliction any time soon or anything that resembles the desire to.:yahoo::D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts