Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Planning the 2019 garden and wanting to try some different sweet corn varieties. I always grow Peaches & Cream and Illini Sweet (those are what my dad always grew). Some of it is eaten fresh, some frozen, some canned and some sold on roadside stand at end of driveway. What’s everyone’s favorite varieties? How long of a window do you have to harvest and how long does it keep after picking? I do plant several different times, weather permitting, from May to June here in central Indiana.

·
Registered
322 Posts
In case are not aware, you have to pay attention to the sugar types: su, se, sh2, sy. I understand that cross pollination between incompatible types makes for poorer taste. I have a couple of Su types that I do not care for, HYB EARLIVEE and HYB SUGAR & GOLD. It's OK but we are going to try something else. We are kind of limited with a short growing season here. I'm sure that you can find better choices for your area.

We had some Hybrid Northern Xtra Sweet (sh2) from Gurney's and Dege's Extra Sweet not sure of the type) from Dege's a great place to buy garden stuff in Maplewood, MN before they shut down. Those were both good. And MN had a better corn growing weather than our present location in MT.

Here, we usually have 2 or 3 weeks from beginning of picking to frost. Where we lived about 50 miles from here, we had corn from the 55 day variety, the 60 day variety froze before it was ready. That was the year Mt St Helen's blew her top. The summer was way cooler than normal probably due to all the ash in the upper atmosphere.

Happy corn hunting.

·
Registered
4,238 Posts
Honey Select. It's almost as good frozen as it is fresh.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
I did not like what the local farm store offered last season,,,
so, I ordered off of Amazon,,,

Amazon.com : Peaches Outdoor

The results were perfect,, :bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
X2 on the Silver Queen but I liked the Avalon I planted last year as well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
X2 on the Silver Queen but I liked the Avalon I planted last year as well.
X3 on Silver Queen but every time I try to grow it, I end up with galls on the ears called "corn smut". Can't seem to get rid of it. I tried some Silver King and had better success but it's not quite as good. Someone said to try some Ambrosia so I may do that this year.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Stowell's Evergreen.
Dad would plant 10 acres of it - with a 1947 Farmall H - for us 4 kids to pick and sell at the house.
We'd put up a sign on the road north of Peculiar, Missouri and sell wagon loads at .25¢ a dozen. This was mid-late 60s and early 70s.
Used to have a guy who drove a Kitty Clover potato chip truck stop and give us several big bags for a grocery sack of corn....we never got potato chips so that was a big deal to us kids!
We'd eat that corn right there in the field....it was that sweet.
It's one of the oldest heirloom sweet corns you can still buy.

·
Corndog Hater
11,106 Posts
Honey Select. It's almost as good frozen as it is fresh.
This is what we buy at the stand, best sweet corn we’ve ever had.

I haven’t planted sweet corn in years, now everything I plant is in raised beds. I have thought about planting some corn in the raised beds just to see how it does.....the gears are turning.......

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
I have thought about planting some corn in the raised beds just to see how it does.....the gears are turning.......
It does just fine. We use to put in multiple plantings with just enough for pollination so we'd have corn throughout the summer. But then the 'coons moved in and we've been too busy the last couple of years.

·
Registered
444 Posts
We have been planting Ambrosia for 5-6 years now and are very happy with it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Sweet corn

Freshly pilfered from the canning company field is best.

·
Registered
171 Posts
X3 on Silver Queen but every time I try to grow it, I end up with galls on the ears called "corn smut". Can't seem to get rid of it. I tried some Silver King and had better success but it's not quite as good. Someone said to try some Ambrosia so I may do that this year.
I am having the same issue with smut, going on the third or fourth new variety this year to see if I can get a handle on it.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
I met a local sweet corn processor/seed seller a year or two ago. I was very impressed with his knowledge. We created a video where he explained the sweetness of various varieties.

Lots of non-GMO and GMO varieties available. Check out their website: http://4thegrower.com

Here is the sweetness chart: sweetness chart

This year, we will be planting a GMO "Super sweet" variety. ...he says "Super sweet" is the sweetest category:
4thegrower.com supersweet hybrid

·
Registered
8 Posts
Great info Tim. Thanks for the link to the site. Love your channel.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts