Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
We'll see. Electric motors have tons of torque. A Tesla in sport mode will blow the doors of most exotics off the line. 400 mile range and fast recharge will be the key to it's success but I don't thing the batteries are not there yet. Wonder what the payload is or tow rating is and it's range towing. (Still watching video).

In the video, the shot on the bridge is the Astoria/Megler bridge in Astoria Oregon.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
That truck should easily out tow my purchase,,,

:laugh:

If my math is correct,, this should be close to my last truck purchase,, knock on wood,,,

so, no electric in my future,,

I was out this morning,, and saw more than 6 stations that had gas for $1.99,,
that pricing is the death of the electric,,, IMHO,,,

·
Super Moderator
5,450 Posts
No next truck in my future either. My 2014 Silverado is more than likely my last. Unless of course, I win the lottery!

·
Premium Member
1,603 Posts
No thanks I'll stick with My gas Guzzling Titan XD. My Next truck will be a Titan XD Diesel when My Mechanic retires and I have to use a dealership for service:bigthumb:

·
Registered
4,238 Posts
It's a neat idea. Looks like a truck for a city person.

No idea what my next truck will be, my last one was the deuce and a half.:lol:

·
Registered
11,224 Posts
No next truck in my future either. My 2014 Silverado is more than likely my last. Unless of course, I win the lottery!
My answer too. I need to start buying tickets. :banghead:

·
Registered
12,242 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Been missing my '62 CJ5. Kinda' interested in one of these . . .

2020-Jeep-Gladiator-JT-Pickup-1-780x405.jpg

Should be available about mid-year . . . :pickup:

·
Premium Member
3,223 Posts
I still like my 79 1 ton 4x4 Chevy. Only gets 10 MPG but a $50,000.00 new truck price tag will buy a lot of gas? Even at $3.50 a gal I need to drive another 143,000 miles to use that up but not sure the math works out cause a new $50K truck still needs fuel and maintenance and I only drive my work truck around 5,000 miles at the most each year? I have had this one 13 plus years now limited repairs during that time and I can work on it. I will admit in 13 years I have spent around $3500.00 on it and that included tires. CHEV%2027.jpg Only truck I can put 5 ton of gravel in the bed and still drive it and not have people look at me like it is way over loaded! Till then I am going to wear out my 2005 Dodge Ram 3/4T 4x4 Hemi it has 158,000 miles on it and rides like a car. Oh I just put $3500.00 into it with new brakes and a Clutch assemble we won't count several sets of tires. Chevy cost $4500.00 used, Dodge cost used $18,900.00 so saving money is not a reason to buy a new truck to me at all. Best part of the Chevy I can do stuff in it that breaks my other trucks and it comes back for more punishment.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That truck should easily out tow my purchase,,,

:laugh:

If my math is correct,, this should be close to my last truck purchase,, knock on wood,,,

so, no electric in my future,,

I was out this morning,, and saw more than 6 stations that had gas for $1.99,,
that pricing is the death of the electric,,, IMHO,,,
Varney on Fox this morning said Texas had the lowest gas prices in the country. And according to him the lowest price in Texas was at a Buc-EE's in Denton at $1.69. Haven't seen that yet here, lowest I've seen locally was $1.87 today at Sam's. Most of the majors are still around $1.90 - $1.94.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I think if they can actually produce that truck at that price then they will sell all they can handle. We have an electric car, and even with “cheep” gas, I still save nearly $200/month in gas vs what I was paying for gas in my last similarly sized car even though it got ~30 mpg. So even though this electric car cost $10k more then the car I had before, I’m still saving money each month. I have a Tacoma now and plan to keep it until there have been 2-3 electric pickups on the market to choose from. The range issue with electrics I’ve found to not be much of an issue. You start off each day with a full tank, so unless you are doing a lot of driving, you never have to worry about charging mid day, and for me and most of the people I know 300+ miles covers 95% of their daily use.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
There is no doubt that electric motors can provide SERIOUS hauling capabilities - that's what locomotives have been using for decades. It's all going to come down to being able to create the correct balance of battery and motor. And then getting those that buy and drive trucks to accept that electric is a viable means of powering the vehicle.

·
Corndog Hater
11,106 Posts
Been missing my '62 CJ5. Kinda' interested in one of these . . .

Should be available about mid-year . . . :pickup:

That's got DRobinson written all over it.:good2:

·
Registered
57 Posts
I always thought a electric truck would be a good choice for rv owners most of the time they drive 1 day or less then hook up for the night or weekend then drive home. It could be a decent daily driver low center of gravity, good range. I my self am looking at the new Ford Ranger in the next couple of years

·
Registered
11,224 Posts
That's got DRobinson written all over it.:good2:
I can't disagree, Jamie. Yesterday I went to the Jeep website to see what it looked like in white. However I think the Silverado will carry me out.

·
Super Moderator
5,450 Posts
I still like my 79 1 ton 4x4 Chevy. Only gets 10 MPG but a $50,000.00 new truck price tag will buy a lot of gas? Even at $3.50 a gal I need to drive another 143,000 miles to use that up but not sure the math works out cause a new $50K truck still needs fuel and maintenance and I only drive my work truck around 5,000 miles at the most each year? I have had this one 13 plus years now limited repairs during that time and I can work on it. I will admit in 13 years I have spent around $3500.00 on it and that included tires.
Only truck I can put 5 ton of gravel in the bed and still drive it and not have people look at me like it is way over loaded! Till then I am going to wear out my 2005 Dodge Ram 3/4T 4x4 Hemi it has 158,000 miles on it and rides like a car. Oh I just put $3500.00 into it with new brakes and a Clutch assemble we won't count several sets of tires. Chevy cost $4500.00 used, Dodge cost used $18,900.00 so saving money is not a reason to buy a new truck to me at all. Best part of the Chevy I can do stuff in it that breaks my other trucks and it comes back for more punishment.

Oh man, JD that brings back memories. I had a '75 C10 Scottsdale. Crazy stuff back then too. Straight axle!:) Loved it, and full time 4WD. Didn't get any better than that.:good2:
Bought it off a farmer in '77. It was Saddle Brown with the wood grain inserts down the sides. I helped my friend who was excellent with body work and paint redo the entire truck. Interior and exterior was repainted a Cadillac dark blue metallic!:good2: Truck treated me well for the 10 years I had it.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts