Green Tractor Talk banner

61 - 75 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
It's like this...you have to carefully measure and weigh each branch, determining the center of gravity of each one. Then you mark each with a sharpie and lay them all out, giving each one a tracking designator. Then enter all the data into a spreadsheet and fractalize the inhibitor parameters, and sort by the sine of the statistical median (not the mean). Then carefully load the branches onto the forks in order of the sort, and carefully weave individual branches together to form a cape cod basket weave pattern, until all branches are loaded. Then wrap four tie-downs around all branches and forks, cinching it tight to prevent any possibility of a single branch falling off the forks.

Or you could do what I do and just throw a bunch of branches on the forks and drive to a spot without a single one falling off and dump them. Or occasionally I just pick up an already-piled load of branches with the forks and do the same.

Occasionally, if it's a REALLY big stack, I'll grab a particularly straight branch and stab it through the middle of the stack to kind of hold it all together...

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
I was too tired this Sunday after tiling the floor of the rear sunroom to get the tractor out, so I just broke out the wondrous DeWalt 10" 20v chain saw and cut some more brush. I thought about the magnets, the glue and the spread sheets (I'm afraid the spread sheets won't handle much weight), but, as I say, I was tired. I just lined the brush up to a minor degree and I'll try the liars' way (pallet forks) again next weekend.

·
Registered
8,483 Posts
I find pallet forks so good at moving brush and debris, I have put off spending money on the Grapple. I must be doing something wrong.....as evidenced by the photos..........

I stopped with just a few pictures. I name my photos when I save them by topic so when I search for them, its easier to find them. In pallet fork tree, limb and brush hauling, I have 18 photos, but will just post a few.

Here is one trick when you are loading your pallet forks, offset every other stick or branch or log in the opposite direction, end on the right, next one cut end on the left and back and forth. It makes the pile on the forks very balanced and stable so the load remains on the forks for the duration of the trip to the burn pile.

Some of The pictures posted below are for a tree I removed 1,800 feet down the street for a neighbor and I hauled the branches right up the center of the road and home to put on my brush pile to burn. Didn't lose a single branch in 6 loads the size shown........Plus, it enables you to really load the forks, with the only limiting factor being able to see forward around the pile carried.

I would be willing to provide personal "Fork Use Training Lessons", of course, at a cost......Or, you can purchase our DVD series titled "Fork it, and don't lose it".........all for just $19.95......BUT WAIT, if you order in the next 60 minutes, we will throw in absolutely nothing, at no additional charge.

Attachments

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,691 Posts
I find pallet forks so good at moving brush and debris, I have put off spending money on the Grapple.
Same here. Maybe if I was just starting out........

·
Registered
5 Posts
I use "trash forks" for this purpose, at least that's what my JD dealer called them. They are not Green, but they sold them, not sure of the distributor. One piece unit that clamps on the bucket. Picture six pallet type forks extending from the bucket, about 7-8 inches spacing between the forks. When cleaning up downed trees and limbs I will neatly stack limbs into large piles (this is a must-always keep the limbs the same direction or they tend to lock up the entire pile). I can then come in with the tractor, pick up large sections, and off to the burn pile. It works great if you have a good fire going first. This also works well if your driving around picking up limbs and loading them right on the bucket/forks. These forks also work well for gathering cut firewood. You can move a lot of wood at once.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I use "trash forks" for this purpose, at least that's what my JD dealer called them. They are not Green, but they sold them, not sure of the distributor. One piece unit that clamps on the bucket. Picture six pallet type forks extending from the bucket, about 7-8 inches spacing between the forks. When cleaning up downed trees and limbs I will neatly stack limbs into large piles (this is a must-always keep the limbs the same direction or they tend to lock up the entire pile). I can then come in the the tractor, pick up large sections, and off to the burn pile. It works great if you have a good fire going first. This also works well if your driving around picking up limbs and loading them right on the bucket/forks. These forks also work well for gathering cut firewood. You can move a lot of wood at once.
Got any pictures?

·
Registered
5 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
For the "unruly" pile, a ratchet strap works just fine. I did get a grapple the end of last year so this spring I'll be trying it out.

·
Registered
224 Posts
IMG_5133.jpg

Clamp on debris forks. I have the same thing just a different color. They are extremely handy. I use them quite often. Several vendors sell them.

·
Registered
182 Posts
OK, I'll bite....I pulled this out of an agricultural ditch, the root ball I grabbed was at the lower limits of my loader travel and I had to rebite several times as I pulled it up until I could get a full bit. I couldn't grappe it from the side without it twisting my loaders arms violently and lifting a back tire off the ground.

There is no way in heck you lift this with forks...

·
Registered
85 Posts
The black mesh like device. Is that part of your fork setup?
Its the headache rack i guess you'd call it. i think they are bradco brand forks. that was my friends tractor that he let me borrow when my loader got delivered so i could unload it.

61 - 75 of 75 Posts