Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last couple of times I went to YouTube to look at some auto repair videos & it was awful. Took forever to load & then it kept stalling. Anyone else have this problem.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
As mentioned, run a speed test to understand whether or not your actual connection to the Internet is suspect.

If your speed test comes back at 10% of your contracted speed or less, you need to check everything to do with your connection. Resetting your gear would be step one.

Something to keep in mind: If you purchase Internet and telephone service from the same provider, and your services are Cable-connected, then you have a cable modem that needs to be restarted. BUT... You need to understand that there's a very high likelihood that this modem has a battery inside of it that you will need to pull out at the same time you pull the power cord.

After a cable modem reset, you then power your router back on (assuming that you have this second device, you should pull the power on it at the same time as the cable modem).

I have seen issues with YouTube over the years with specific videos, so it is possible that it's the ones you're trying to watch. I've also seen issues with lots of chop and buffering when trying to use WiFi but those issues go away with hard-wired connections. If this is the case, it's likely time for a router upgrade.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Funny.

I opened the link just now, it showed the EXACT same graph for a completely different area of the country. The fact that there's a "Compare providers in this area" link makes me wonder if it's little more than just a marketing page.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Funny.

I opened the link just now, it showed the EXACT same graph for a completely different area of the country. The fact that there's a "Compare providers in this area" link makes me wonder if it's little more than just a marketing page.
30 day average video consumption will look similar across the entire country for large providers.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Are you using wireless or a hard connection? Definitely do the speed test as suggested. Who is your internet provider?
I'm wireless. Provider is Verizon. No other choice out here. It's a complete Monopoly & everyone here hates it but there are not enough homes & businesses here to attract any other companies. We all would like to have cable come in.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I'm wireless. Provider is Verizon. No other choice out here. It's a complete Monopoly & everyone here hates it but there are not enough homes & businesses here to attract any other companies. We all would like to have cable come in.
What was the results with the speed test?

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Just tested out again, using a totally different provider, IDENTICAL graph. Not similar, identical.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Try restarting your modem and router. Also, if you leave your computer on all the time, try restarting that as well.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts

·
Registered
21,560 Posts
Yes, please useSpeedtest.net by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test to do the speed test. It will provide an accurate test.
That is my default test. I like that you can choose different servers to compare - it does make a difference in the test. They also have an IOS app that works great.

Another one that I find very useful for diagnosing my streaming TV is the Roku speed test - it downloads as its own channel but doesn't come up when you search for it on the Roku.

https://www.rokuguide.com/private-channels/speed-test

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
That is my default test. I like that you can choose different servers to compare - it does make a difference in the test. They also have an IOS app that works great.

Another one that I find very useful for diagnosing my streaming TV is the Roku speed test - it downloads as its own channel but doesn't come up when you search for it on the Roku.

https://www.rokuguide.com/private-channels/speed-test
Manually changing servers doesn't usually result in a better rating from the test, in my experience. When you launch the test, it tries to find the best server to use so that the test is as accurate as possible. Changing to a different server generally doesn't result in connecting you to a "better" server to test against.

·
Registered
21,560 Posts
Manually changing servers doesn't usually result in a better rating from the test, in my experience. When you launch the test, it tries to find the best server to use so that the test is as accurate as possible. Changing to a different server generally doesn't result in connecting you to a "better" server to test against.
It does for me. My default (closest) server is in a small rural town to my north (around 70 miles away). When I then try the one 100 miles to my south (around 100 miles away) which has a city and large college my results always better.

·
Registered
21,560 Posts
After thinking about this I need to ammend my post above.

When doing a speed test on my computer (hard wired) or my iPad (WiFi) it doesn't make a difference with the different servers. Each time I get above 50mbs a I am paying for 50mbs. Where I see a difference is when I do the speed test on my Roku unit. That is the single heaviest use of my internet pulling 1080p video stream. With that I will get in the low 40's from the rural town and high 40's from the city farther away.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
After thinking about this I need to ammend my post above.

When doing a speed test on my computer (hard wired) or my iPad (WiFi) it doesn't make a difference with the different servers. Each time I get above 50mbs a I am paying for 50mbs. Where I see a difference is when I do the speed test on my Roku unit. That is the single heaviest use of my internet pulling 1080p video stream. With that I will get in the low 40's from the rural town and high 40's from the city farther away.
Your results on your Roku device mirror what gets brought up on the A/V forums a lot - speed tests on these devices are very inconsistent and do not reflect the actual speeds your connection is capable of. And honestly, 1080p streams only require about 5-6Mbps throughput. 4K requires a top-end of about 15Mbps.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts