Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All
I was just watching a youtube video of how to remove a 260B BH. I considered a number of the presenters actions Quite dangerous, two general one looked like he walked under the boom when it was in the air the other he climbed under the the BH to show it free of the bottom mounts. Then when removing the BH from the tractor he lifted the BH up out of the bottom hook mounts with the stabilizers which meant the DH was high in the air sitting on the hydraulic cylinders. He then said drive the tractor forward 6" to access the power beyond hoses rotate the controls as you do with the FEL to relieve pressure.

When I remove my 260 I put the stabilizers firmly on the ground I then pull the top retaining pins by putting the curled bucket on the ground and using it to push back and loosen the pins then using the bucket controls I tilt the BH away from the tractor till I can install the transit pin in the boom keeping BH as close to the ground as possible. This also gives access to the power beyond hoses to disconnect, the power beyond system depressures as soon as you turn the tractor off unlike the FEL so I don't touch the controls. If I am leaving the BH unattached for more than a couple of hours I install pieced of metal made in a U shape over over the stabiliser cylinders to stop them bleeding down.

My problems with the video were he left the BH high off the ground, if one of the stabilisers bleed bown it could fall over. Also, don't touch any of the controls if the the BH is off the tractor sitting on the stabilisers and bucket while the power beyond is still connected to the tractor, as the cylinders with weight on them could collapse.

I know to most this is common knowledge but to someone new to a tractor this could be dangerous. There are very good how to video around (Hi Tim) but don't take the first one you look at as the right one look at a a few and if you still have questions ask. There are No stupid questions just stupid answers.
Regards John
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,521 Posts
You have to remember that ANYONE can make a YouTube video, sometimes a "how to" can turn out to be more of "how NOT to".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,117 Posts
This doesn't apply to just tractors, obviously. My wife's cousin's husband died trying some woodworking artistic technique he saw on youtube where you apply high voltage to wet wood to get a particular burn effect. Hmmm, high voltage and water mixed together to get some kind of artistic burn in wood... what could go wrong with that? :banghead: Apparently a large number of people have died trying it, as some woodworking organizations denounce the technique now.

It all boils down to using common sense, which isn't particularly common as we all know.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
130 Posts
If I am leaving the BH unattached for more than a couple of hours I install pieced of metal made in a U shape over over the stabiliser cylinders to stop them bleeding down.

John-

Do you have a pic you could share of the U-shape metal and how you use it? I have a terrible time reattaching the 260 BH after it's been off my 1025R for a while. I store my BH outside and not on a dolly. I've had the BH on the tractor for a few months now because I know the issues I'll have when I try to put it back on once it sits a while. All the videos I've watched of the install/uninstall are of the user taking the BH off and then putting it right back on. That gives no time for bleed-down. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks-
Patrick
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
529 Posts
Me too.

John-

Do you have a pic you could share of the U-shape metal and how you use it? I have a terrible time reattaching the 260 BH after it's been off my 1025R for a while. I store my BH outside and not on a dolly. I've had the BH on the tractor for a few months now because I know the issues I'll have when I try to put it back on once it sits a while. All the videos I've watched of the install/uninstall are of the user taking the BH off and then putting it right back on. That gives no time for bleed-down. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks-
Patrick
I'd like to see that pic too. Bleed down is a problem, mine is sometimes off the tractor for a few days at a time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,772 Posts
You have to remember that ANYONE can make a YouTube video, sometimes a "how to" can turn out to be more of "how NOT to".
I went looking for one to send a friend about installing tire chains. I had to watch almost 10 to find one that actually had a clue. Even chain retailers were way off the mark. I thought they were hoping people would have them fall off and break.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,656 Posts
My 260B is stored on a dolly I made, and never bleeds down.
Last time I reattached it, it was off for 3 months.
Maybe the dolly is the reason it doesnt.

If I stored it off a dolly, outside, I would most definitely NOT put anything steel over the cylinder to prevent leakdown. Steel rusts, and even a very small amount on the cylinder rod would be very bad. Sometimes this can happen in high humidity indoors too. Id go for aluminum or wood. Or just build a cheap dolly to store it on. Mine was maybe $30.
Sure would be a shame to see anyones cylinder ruined due to rust.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
17,266 Posts
John-

Do you have a pic you could share of the U-shape metal and how you use it? I have a terrible time reattaching the 260 BH after it's been off my 1025R for a while. I store my BH outside and not on a dolly. I've had the BH on the tractor for a few months now because I know the issues I'll have when I try to put it back on once it sits a while. All the videos I've watched of the install/uninstall are of the user taking the BH off and then putting it right back on. That gives no time for bleed-down. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks-
Patrick
Just lower the backhoe onto some wood blocking (6x6's or 4x4's) to stop the settling.

But this is what John is talking about:
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,772 Posts
YouTube is a joke 90% of the time. It’s the last place I would go for advise.

Read the manual. Ask questions on a good forum like this one.

I will never understand the obsession with YouTube.
It does have good points.

The door slamming, stop start process for training my car remote....resetting the oil change light in my old Audi....and my personal favorite. I was under my old t-100 replacing the clutch. The throw out bearing wouldn’t pull out. Checked YouTube, backfilled the pocket with grease, and drove a socket extension through the hole to force the bearing out hydraulically. I didn’t even get out from under the truck to find a completely unknown trick.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,458 Posts
It does have good points.

The door slamming, stop start process for training my car remote....resetting the oil change light in my old Audi....and my personal favorite. I was under my old t-100 replacing the clutch. The throw out bearing wouldn’t pull out. Checked YouTube, backfilled the pocket with grease, and drove a socket extension through the hole to force the bearing out hydraulically. I didn’t even get out from under the truck to find a completely unknown trick.

I agree - I did say 90% - that leaves 10% quality.

I just get so frustrated when I occasionally do look for something.

The person is trying to hold their phone in one hand while trying to demonstrate something. For example a printer - the guy couldn't even get the box open let alone get the printer out of the box.

The person reviewing a tool, but never uses it. In fact some have never used said tool in their life. How the heck do you make a review? But they sit there and talk for 10-15 minutes.

I'll admit I am more of a reader than needing visual stimulation. I just find most videos on YouTube a joke. Not worth my time to waste wading through all the idiots. But when someone links to one here on the forum, if it a subject that interests me, I will go see. Other than that it is one great time waster.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,772 Posts
I agree - I did say 90% - that leaves 10% quality.

I just get so frustrated when I occasionally do look for something.

The person is trying to hold their phone in one hand while trying to demonstrate something. For example a printer - the guy couldn't even get the box open let alone get the printer out of the box.

The person reviewing a tool, but never uses it. In fact some have never used said tool in their life. How the heck do you make a review? But they sit there and talk for 10-15 minutes.

I'll admit I am more of a reader than needing visual stimulation. I just find most videos on YouTube a joke. Not worth my time to waste wading through all the idiots. But when someone links to one here on the forum, if it a subject that interests me, I will go see. Other than that it is one great time waster.
20 minutes for a 3 minute operation? Yeah that’s rough. If 8 sentences cover it, then 8 sentences cover it. I manage to avoid those videos of the ‘unboxers’ they are beyond pointless. If you haven’t used the product for its purpose shut up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
130 Posts
Just lower the backhoe onto some wood blocking (6x6's or 4x4's) to stop the settling.

But this is what John is talking about:
Thanks, Kenny. I have some angle and some u-channel that would fit. A good point was made by IndianaJim on the rust. A coat of paint or making them out of aluminum pieces would take care of that.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top