Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any experience with the front fork suspension system from Z-Glide? I am in the process of getting a new Z930M with X-Tweels and a full suspension seat and was looking for additional suspension options for the mower. I went ahead and ordered them and my dealer agreed to install them for me. Here is their website and a couple YouTube videos on them. Thanks
https://zglidesuspension.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ld4jZhQpshw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YIXualhCvM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lx55TZ9kGzo

·
Registered
59 Posts
Do the Tweels provide a softer ride that air tires. I stopped by a dealer the other day and was told they DO NOT. The salesman however didn't seem to knowledgeable though about many of my questions.

Thanks
Mark

·
Registered
147 Posts
Do the Tweels provide a softer ride that air tires. I stopped by a dealer the other day and was told they DO NOT. The salesman however didn't seem to knowledgeable though about many of my questions.

Thanks
Mark
I’ll definitely buy Tweels and the ZGlide on my next JD. That’s a shame the person you talked to doesn’t have the slightest clue about the products they sell.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts

Thanks
Mark
I don't know that the intent of Tweels is to provide a softer ride. The big benefit is for a lawn service person that is cutting grass commercially or even residential where they are not going to know what is in the yard. Maybe the place was just reroofed and there are roofing nails all over the place. It will reduce down time for a flat tire. They do deflect to absorb some bumps but so do a normal traditional tire. They might have a slightly larger contact patch which would aid in traction.

I have never ridden on a machine with tweels though compared to my Z950R. I asked about them but they were just coming out and the dealer hadn't seen any. I bought my Z 3 years ago now. They also are not an option for me because of the DFS collection system. I want to say that the weight on a Z9xx is pushing the limits of a tweel and when you add all the suitcase weights and factor in a hopper full of wet grass, the tweels would deflect too much and it would cause issues. I want to say they are rated at something like 750# each. A Z950R is around 1300# by itself. Granted some weight is carried by the front casters but most is to the rear. Add my lard butt and a full hopper and I would imagine you would blow past the 750# rating.

Here is some more info on them.

MICHELIN X TWEEL TURF Airless Radial Tire | John Deere US

·
Registered
59 Posts
Thanks for the quick replies!

·
Registered
41 Posts
I am also interested in the Z Glide system. Called my dealer this morning and they have heard of them but never installed them. Went on Lawnsite and the reviews are positive. I am mowing about three acres, and 11/2 of it is very bumpy. I have the deluxe suspension seat which helps, but I need to do more. I mow at 3.5 inches so I do not get any scalping. How hard is it to level the deck on a Ztrak after installation?

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
I am also interested in the Z Glide system. Called my dealer this morning and they have heard of them but never installed them. Went on Lawnsite and the reviews are positive. I am mowing about three acres, and 11/2 of it is very bumpy. I have the deluxe suspension seat which helps, but I need to do more. I mow at 3.5 inches so I do not get any scalping. How hard is it to level the deck on a Ztrak after installation?
Z-Glide wouldn't change the deck leveling procedure. I don't have them but my understanding is that they probably don't have much sag when you are in the seat vs not. They are mainly there to take up some of the shock of hitting something.

However, maybe you could convince your significant other that you need to be in the seat to properly level the deck. So clearly they will have to level the deck for you while you sit there providing... ballast... I mean instruction.... I mean supervision....

:nunu:

·
Premium Member
803 Posts

There are several youtube videos that show the installation and the leveling process for JD ZTRs. The ZGlide looks like it lifts the front enough to matter in the videos.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
There are several youtube videos that show the installation and the leveling process for JD ZTRs. The ZGlide looks like it lifts the front enough to matter in the videos.
I would agree that it will lift it to where you might want to go through the leveling process once. Remember you want the deck 1/4" lower on the front than that back. But I don't think the process of leveling will change at all.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Leveling process is the same. However I check my deck at least once a month to look for settling.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I finally got and installed a set this spring... I've been weighing getting them for a year or so.

Yes, on my 960m, the forks raised the front end a smidge, and required a re-level of the deck - no biggie.

No, at least for my 180lbs of extra weight, the suspension doesn't sag when you sit on it.

No, on the moderately rough, portions of my lawn, I do not see a decrease in cut quality. No wavy cut level when looking across it from the side. On the really rough parts where I go slow, really slow, there is no suspension based cure for what I have...

Yes, they help smooth out a rough ride. My lawn is always evolving with hundreds, if not thousands of stumps ground below grade creating new pot holes all season long as they rot. I know bumps. With run-flat tires and OE forks the ride is bone jarring if you don't know where to slow down or to avoid. With the zglides, the "edge" is taken off the biggest bumps, but you still spill your drink if it's a pot hole (see comment above). But, over the majority of the lawn the ride is much improved compared to the OE setup. Speed can be increased on average.

I have a really bad back (like busted/out of location vertebrae..), it's kinda of a built in accelerator/seismograph. My back doesn't notice a benefit. I attribute this to my back being located closer to over the rear axle and the general increase in mowing speed. So a side benefit I was hoping for didn't materialize. Motrin to the rescue.

They're worth getting if you have a lawn that is rough or has rough spots. If you live on a golf course, maybe not.

I'm very pleased with them and would recommend them in a heart beat.

Matt

·
Registered
41 Posts
So I just installed the Z Glides on my 950M and mowed the roughest part of my property. Huge difference! made the largest bone jarring bumps more manageable. Had to do some minor leveling of the deck but no big deal. Hardest part was trying to find a 17/16 socket to remove the fork retaining nuts. So far well worth the money. Question is would switching to pneumatic tires make any significant difference? Or not work the money. Looking at around $300 to switch.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
So I just installed the Z Glides on my 950M and mowed the roughest part of my property. Huge difference! made the largest bone jarring bumps more manageable. Had to do some minor leveling of the deck but no big deal. Hardest part was trying to find a 17/16 socket to remove the fork retaining nuts. So far well worth the money. Question is would switching to pneumatic tires make any significant difference? Or not work the money. Looking at around $300 to switch.
So a 1 1/16" socket?

I wish they'd make a Z Glide for my bota

·
Registered
41 Posts
I think they do make them now for the Kubota. I called them and the guy was very informative. Got them through Green Farm Parts from this forum. Got the discount and free shipping. Yes the retaining nut was 1 7/16".. got a socket and adapter 3/4" drive to 1/2" drive from Tractor Supply for $19.

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
I have a bumpy 4 acres that I mow so I tried to get a set for my Z535R. Sadly, they don't support that model yet. Contacted support and they said just to check back in the future as they're always adding more models.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I have a bumpy 4 acres that I mow so I tried to get a set for my Z535R. Sadly, they don't support that model yet. Contacted support and they said just to check back in the future as they're always adding more models.
Nothing for my 797 either. I doubt they'll go that far back. Would be nice tho.

·
Registered
41 Posts
The biggest improvement I noticed is on the very bumpy areas the shock of the bumps were transmitted to my arms which went to the steering levers causing the ride to be even more erratic. With the Z Glides that does not happen. Also in the uneven areas where one of the front wheels would be off the ground, the Z Glides compensate for it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
They also say......

I would agree that it will lift it to where you might want to go through the leveling process once. Remember you want the deck 1/4" lower on the front than that back. But I don't think the process of leveling will change at all.
They also say to mow for 50 hours to let the zglides work and settle then check the mower deck for level and adjust if need be.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts