Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mowed my lawn today for the 1st time on the z540r and I got banged around. I know my lawn needs some smoothing out but this thing didn't cushion me near what I wouve expected.

Also noticed that the deck has a loud drone/hum to it depending on where I'm cutting in the yard. Even with earmuffs on this seemed really loud.

Are there any seat upgrades for the z540r? I already have the tires at low pressure.

Is this deck drone common on these models? Wondering what might be going on.

Thanks

·
Registered
73 Posts
I've got a new (3 week old) Z540r and haven't noticed either of those issues in the 4 times I've used it. What size deck do you have? Mine is a 48"

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have a Z535R which (I think) is nearly identical to your Z540R except I don't have the Kawasaki engine that everyone loves. I have a 54" deck on mine. I haven't noticed any deck noise like you mention. The fact that you only hear the noise at certain places in your yard is interesting. I had that happen to me at times with my old X734 but haven't noticed it on the Z535R. I never knew what caused it.

For the ride quality, you could reach out to the ZGlide folks and see if they are close to supporting your model. I contacted them about suspension for the Z535R and they said they don't support that model yet but they're always adding new models. I think our front wheels are the same size. Not an immediate solution but maybe something to keep your eye on. https://zglidesuspension.com/

·
Registered
322 Posts
Even with earmuffs on this seemed really loud.
There are a few things where I need to put ear plugs in under earmuffs. Mowing with the Power Flow bagger installed and riding Saab 340 commuter planes between Memphis and Huntsville (years ago) are a couple that come to mind. The plugs under the muffs really help, at least for me with my crappy hearing. Something to try, anyway.

·
Premium Member
7,027 Posts
Try just using earplugs.

I found when wearing earmuffs that the noise seemed almost as loud.

Just MY theory. Where I am sitting puts my head right between the ROPS bars. I am wondering if the hard sides of the muffs pick up the harmonics transmitted by the steel bars.

Good ear plugs seem to be the most effective and more comfortable when it is hot.

I can't help with the bumpy ride. I need to flatten a good bit of my yard as well, but the [email protected] moles are persistant at re-installing the speed bumps.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks folks. I'll try the ear plugs.

Yeah depending on where I am in the yard I get this real hum/drone even through the 3m muffs!

I thought I saw support for the fron casters on a similar tire model.

Alomost wondering if I should upgrade to a 9 series if it'll be a lot more comfortable?

·
Premium Member
790 Posts
Thanks folks. I'll try the ear plugs.

Yeah depending on where I am in the yard I get this real hum/drone even through the 3m muffs!

I thought I saw support for the fron casters on a similar tire model.

Alomost wondering if I should upgrade to a 9 series if it'll be a lot more comfortable?
Better suspension seats, but nothing that really makes the ride better unless you use tweels and zglides. One of these years they'll make a suspended operator platform or transaxle, till then it'll be a bit rough no matter what you do to mitigate it IMO...

·
Registered
517 Posts
I have a Z540R as well (54" deck) and haven't had the OP's issues. Got 50hrs on it now. I think all mowers have a "drone" to them. Maybe I'm not understanding what the OP is hearing but I'd say that's just par for the course with any engine at full throttle 2ft away from your head. For the ride. The Z540 has the largest tires of all of deeres residential mowers. That's a main reason I chose it. Bigger tires = a better ride. I had never owned a Z mower before so I didn't really know what to expect. I know what you mean by bouncing around a bit. But once I figured out the right speed for my yard, aired the tires down a bit and broke the seat in. I now find it quite comfortable. The seat has softened up quite nicely over time. My 1023e seat was like that too. Pretty stiff when new. But it's much softer and actually quite nice since breaking it in. All of this said. I cannot believe that Deere (and the others) do not offer different weighted seat springs for all of their tractors - mowers etc with seat springs like this. The rubber springs just twist on and off. Why not offer 3 or 4 grades of them from really soft to firm. Husband and wife who share a mower. Dude weighs 250 and a wifey that weighs 105 are going to have a completely different ride. Being able to swap springs would be a fantastic option. It literally takes 2 seconds to swap springs.

·
Registered
10,985 Posts
Try just using earplugs.
:thumbup1gif: IMO, ear plugs work way better.
There is a significant noise reduction using ear plugs and muffs together. However, I don't think of piece of lawn equipment should make enough noise to require both means of protection.

If the OP has a smart phone, he can download a Sound Meter and read the actual sound level in decibels. I have one on my phone and find it to be accurate when compared to an OSHA sound meter.

·
Registered
20,782 Posts
As far as the ride - check your rear tire air pressure. I will bet you they are way over pressure.

It seems they come from the factory over filled for shipping purposes. If you reduce the air pressure to the low end of what is recommended in the manual you will see a huge difference in the ride.

As far as the drone - are you mowing at full throttle?

And ear protection - use it! There are many of us older guys who never used ear protection when running equipment and are now paying for it.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As far as the ride - check your rear tire air pressure. I will bet you they are way over pressure.

It seems they come from the factory over filled for shipping purposes. If you reduce the air pressure to the low end of what is recommended in the manual you will see a huge difference in the ride.

As far as the drone - are you mowing at full throttle?

And ear protection - use it! There are many of us older guys who never used ear protection when running equipment and are now paying for it.
I have my tires down to around 10psi front and rear.

Full throttle when I mow. I do have the mulch kit I need to install maybe I'll give that a try to see if it changes.

Are there any aftermarket seats that will fit the 540?

I'm going to call the ez glide company and see if they're carrying anything for the 540r. Looks like they have a kit for the z540m and I think they are the same front wheels?

·
Registered
322 Posts
There is a significant noise reduction using ear plugs and muffs together.
Yep

However, I don't think of piece of lawn equipment should make enough noise to require both means of protection.
You, sir, have never operated my Power Flow bagger. :flag_of_truce:

I have a set of AO Safety (now 3M) Work Tunes. They work for most of what I do. Not the bagger, though. Can't even hear the radio. For me, plugs and muffs together work the best whilst bagging. But, hey, that's just me. I think my poor hearing has been sensitized to loud noises.

·
Registered
322 Posts
That! ↑↑↑↑↑↑

·
Registered
10,985 Posts
Yep

You, sir, have never operated my Power Flow bagger. :flag_of_truce:

I have a set of AO Safety (now 3M) Work Tunes. They work for most of what I do. Not the bagger, though. Can't even hear the radio. For me, plugs and muffs together work the best whilst bagging. But, hey, that's just me. I think my poor hearing has been sensitized to loud noises.
You are right. I have never been around a bagger, but when I think of it, it would be a noise maker, not unlike a forage blower.

·
Registered
322 Posts
You are right. I have never been around a bagger, but when I think of it, it would be a noise maker, not unlike a forage blower.
My particular bagger is loud. My wife's cousin works in sound. I'm sure he has a sound meter. If I ever get the 214 running again, I'll measure it. The particular ear muffs I have, 3M 1440, actually seem worse than nothing in the two cases I mentioned, the bagger and the Saab 340 commuter plane. Maybe it has to do with a particular frequency. :dunno: But with ear plugs in the muffs, makes those to cases mute, or moot. :lol: For everything else I've encountered, the 1440s are just fine by themselves.

And it could be just me. Years ago, I kept complaining to my boss about my computer monitor (a CRT if anyone remembers those) making an unbearable noise. He'd come by, listen, and say it was my imagination. I guess he got tired of my complaining and sent an IT person to check it out. A young lady, and a guy she was training in, showed up. He said, "I don't hear anything." She said, "How can you stand to be near that thing?" Finally, someone else that could hear it.

Sorry to have taken this thread so far off the rails.

Derailed.jpg

1 - 16 of 16 Posts