Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So like everything Deere, there are so many levels and options and models I get dizzy.

I mow with a 2018 2032r with 60" deck. It isn't the friendliest option. I think I want to get a Zero turn to go with it. I have just under 4 hilly acres to mow. I generally lean towards the best quality option, but I am thinking the Z9xxx series is more than I need. Can someone skool me on the differences between the Z9xxx and Z7xxx please? I figures out the E vs R vs M differences within the 700 series thanks to You Tube...but I still need to be skooled.
Thanks in advance!

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,841 Posts
I'd have to go low end commercial (Z915E).
Bigger tires = better ride.
I like the warranty better.
Much better mower deck IMO.

·
Registered
23,079 Posts
If you have hills to deal with look at the weight of the machines.

My first zero turn a long time ago was a Deere 717A I think. It was the smallest in the commercial line at the time. Not good on hills - would loose traction on side hills and the front end was way too light when climbing hills.

Went to a 757 which is a mid frame model which cured it all - the things was like glue on the hills.

I don’t recall the weights but there was a significant difference. I am betting there is a good difference between the z7xx and z9xx.

Also look at deck construction and blade tip speed. These 2 things make a huge difference.

Buy it once and buy it right.

·
Premium Member
9,804 Posts
I have the Z915E. It is a good solid machine.

My winter projects include adding weight to it and loading the tires.

It goes uphill really well. Downhill, not so much.

I wouldn't want a lighter machine.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I have to disagree with some here on what is the difference between Ztraks. So, lets take the new 2019 models for a ride.

The new 2019 Z740r series verus the new Z930r series.

Both have the same size front tires. Same 7 Iron decks in all the width sizes. 22" x 11 tires on the Z740r and 24"x 12 on the Z930r. The Z740r has the Tuff-Torq TZT1310..10/10 cc/rev transmissions, 9-11 mph 20-23 trires, and the Z930r has the Tuff-Torq TZT13..13/13 cc/rev. 12-13 mph. transmission. 24' tires. The Z40r has a smaller KAW 23.5 hp V-Twin, and the Z930r has the larger 25.5hp. V-twin.
The Z930r has the optional suspension seat, whereas the Z740r doesn't The rear panel is different on the Z7440r , whereas the Z930r is some what different (might add a few pounds) to the rear section. There is a 2 gallon difference on the fuel tanks, and with that you can mow about 2 mph faster.

The frame is basically the same...may be me a few added bolts and nuts. The upper platform is different configuration. However, the main thing is the price difference. The Z740r is $8,999.00about $4000 lower in price. And most of all you get the same famous paint scheme...Green and Yellow.

You can do what I have done to make the Z740r like a Z930r... Sort of. Buy you couple new 24" x 12 tires and rims and install them on the Z740r. I paid $150.00 with free shipping for my 24" tires and rims. The ebay person said he was parting out a new Z950m. I never ask if it was stolen.

·
Old Pa-pa
11,844 Posts
One thing to think about is weight and how much rain you get on average.

I have the 997 diesel and it comes in at a ton weight wise.
It's a beast, but a heavy beast.

There are a few times I have to wait to mow even with turf tires.

Reactions: Gizmo2

·
Registered
440 Posts
Are you sure?

Model HP* Deck Size Fuel Options
Z915E25 hp. 7Iron™ II Deck 48", 54", 60" Gas

Z920M23.5 hp 7Iron™ PRO Deck. 48", 48" MOD, 54", 60" Gas, Propane Kit

Z925M Flex Fuel25 hp. 7Iron™ PRO Deck./ 54", 54" MOD, 60" Gas, EFI, Flex Fuel

Z930M25.5 hp. 7Iron™ PRO Deck. 54", 54" MOD, 60", 60" MOD Gas

Z945M EFI 27.0 hp. 7Iron™ PRO Deck. 60", 60" MOD Gas EFI

Z950M27 hp. 7Iron™ PRO Deck. 60", 60" MOD, 72" Gas, Propane Kit

Z955M EFI29.0 hp. 7Iron™ PRO Deck. 60", 60" MOD, 72" Gas EFI

Z960M31 hp. 7Iron™ PRO Deck. 60", 60" MOD, 72" Gas

Z930R26.5 hp. 7Iron™ PRO Deck. 54", 54" MOD, 60", 60" MOD Gas, Gas EFI

Z950R27 hp 7Iron™ PRO Deck 60", 60" MOD, 72" Gas, Propane Kit

Z970R35.0 hp 7Iron™ PRO Deck 60", 60" MOD, 72" Gas, Propane Kit

Z994R Diesel24.7 hp 7Iron™ PRO Deck 54", 60", 60" MOD Diesel (NOTE: I think this is a new Model for 2019)

Z997R Diesel37.4 hp 7Iron™ PRO Deck 7-Gauge Rear Discharge Deck 60", 60" MOD, 60" RD, 72" Diesel

Gizmo2, When I bought my 2013 Z710A with a 54" 7 Iron deck, I wanted a 60" deck and ask the salesman if this could be done. He said, "no problem" So, he went through all what had to be done. The 60" deck would be $875.00 more, due to the fact it had a few inched wider deck chute. Also, the 60" deck has the rear anti-scalp wheels, and the bolt holes for a "stripper unit", which I didn't care for. The 60" deck from a Z915B has different blade spindles. I thought the price was a little high for the 6 inch gain.

So, we talked about what would be the price of a 2013 Z915B. His price was $9.450.00. $1000.00 off list price. The price on the 2013 Z710A was $7,999.00. $1000.00 off of list price.. We couldn't make a deal on either one.

About one month later, I went to a John Deere dealer own by the same two brothers. They had a 2013 Z710A with 54" deck and 28 hours on the meter the dealer used for a loaner or demonstrator. I bought it for $4595.00.

From all appearances, the 7 Iron decks are the same, only the brackets welded to them for options such as rear anti-scalp wheels, stripper units, etc.

However, I must agree with Old Cajun, the Z997 is a different bred from any of the other Z900 series tractors. It don't share any parts of the others.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have to disagree with some here on what is the difference between Ztraks. So, lets take the new 2019 models for a ride.

Both have the same size front tires. Same 7 Iron decks in all the width sizes. 22" x 11 tires on the Z740r and 24"x 12 on the Z930r. The Z740r has the Tuff-Torq TZT1310..10/10 cc/rev transmissions, 9-11 mph 20-23 trires, and the Z930r has the Tuff-Torq TZT13..13/13 cc/rev. 12-13 mph. transmission. 24' tires. The Z40r has a smaller KAW 23.5 hp V-Twin, and the Z930r has the larger 25.5hp. V-twin.
The Z930r has the optional suspension seat, whereas the Z740r doesn't The rear panel is different on the Z7440r , whereas the Z930r is some what different (might add a few pounds) to the rear section. There is a 2 gallon difference on the fuel tanks, and with that you can mow about 2 mph faster.

The frame is basically the same...may be me a few added bolts and nuts. The upper platform is different configuration. However, the main thing is the price difference. The Z740r is $8,999.00about $4000 lower in price. And most of all you get the same famous paint scheme...Green and Yellow.

You can do what I have done to make the Z740r like a Z930r... Sort of. Buy you couple new 24" x 12 tires and rims and install them on the Z740r. I paid $150.00 with free shipping for my 24" tires and rims. The ebay person said he was parting out a new Z950m. I never ask if it was stolen.
Thanks, this is very good stuff!! This is what I needed.

·
Premium Member
808 Posts
One other difference, availability. I went to the local dealership to buy a z740r, the earliest delivery date was in August. I bought a z930m that's scheduled to be delivered 1st/2nd week in April.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Well!.. You can figure why the reason for the later delivery date... 30% more people are ordering the Z740r over the Z900 series. The Z74-r will become the best Ztrak seller this year for John Deer.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
One other difference, availability. I went to the local dealership to buy a z740r, the earliest delivery date was in August. I bought a z930m that's scheduled to be delivered 1st/2nd week in April.
I'm hearing the same thing from my dealer, he has one Z930m left and doesn't expect to see z7xx until July, which means August. Seems like Deere missed the importance of spring lawn mowing with their timing.

Reactions: trboxman

·
Premium Member
948 Posts

All 700 series have the 9 iron decks. The 740R does have the deluxe suspension seat. My local dealer has two coming in tomorrow, one of which I will demo and see if its the right fit for me.

YMMV

Reactions: Ransx77

·
Premium Member
808 Posts
Well!.. You can figure why the reason for the later delivery date... 30% more people are ordering the Z740r over the Z900 series. The Z74-r will become the best Ztrak seller this year for John Deer.
I'd say the sales volume has more to do with it being several thousand dollars less than any other reason. The dealer's price from JD for a z930m is close (within a few hundred) to the retail cost of the z740r.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I never followed up with you guys on this, so let me do so. Met with the dealer a few times, and ended up buying the z740r. It does come with the upscale suspension seat. The deck is not a 9-iron in name, they refer to it as a High Capacity PRO instead. but the specs say it is 9 gauge steel so I guess it is just the name. I paid $8499 and the dealer is throwing in gator blades and a rubberized floor mat (his idea, he says the metal deck gets slippery with grass on it???) It should be arriving any day now. I asked if there was a lighting kit as I sometimes am mowing into the evening (in the fall). He quoted $300, I said no thanks, I'll do it myself. I have to find the fuse box.....LOL.

·
Registered
23,079 Posts
I never followed up with you guys on this, so let me do so. Met with the dealer a few times, and ended up buying the z740r. It does come with the upscale suspension seat. The deck is not a 9-iron in name, they refer to it as a High Capacity PRO instead. but the specs say it is 9 gauge steel so I guess it is just the name. I paid $8499 and the dealer is throwing in gator blades and a rubberized floor mat (his idea, he says the metal deck gets slippery with grass on it???) It should be arriving any day now. I asked if there was a lighting kit as I sometimes am mowing into the evening (in the fall). He quoted $300, I said no thanks, I'll do it myself. I have to find the fuse box.....LOL.
Looking forward to what you think. For me it would be a tough call between these 2 zero turns. Anything with an “R” in the model number sure tries to sway me.....

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
For my 4 acres the z740r made more sense than buying the low end z9xxx. Especially as I have the 60" 7-iron on my 2032r, AND I have a 4ft rotary mower for the tough stuff. I doubt I'll put 1000hrs on it within 4 years. I only have 160hrs on the 18month old 2032r. so the warranty at 4yrs/1000hrs will be just fine. I will be sure to post some results here if it ever stops raining. BTW, I did ask if there was a pontoon option available.....:lol::lol::lol:

Reactions: coaltrain

·
Registered
3,525 Posts

There are more differences between a Z740R and a Z930R to explain the cost differences. I would argue that the Z740R is a better comparison to a Z920M. I haven't seen one in person to compare the deck so I don't know what the difference is there. However the R in the Z9xxR adds things that the Z740R simply doesn't have. Granted there is more costs too. Those two models not only share the same engine (Kawasaki FX730V)

For instance, different hydrostatic drive which you pointed out in the model what you left out is that they are cross ported for better cooling. The Z9xxM doesn't have this either and suspect the Z9xxM may use the same hydrostatic drive that is found on the Z740R. The Z740R, Z915B/E and Z9xxM all have the 10 MPH ground speed. Once you step up to the Z9xxR it goes up to 12. There is more to this though and possibly the reason for the different hydrostatic drives. The Z9xxR has different control arms. They have a button on the end of each stick. One is a kill switch for the PTO the other is the button for the hydraulic deck lift. There is no foot pedal to lift the deck. There is a foot operated parking brake that only the Z9xxRs get as well.

While there is a collection system for the Z740R, it isn't the commercial one found on the Z9xx. That makes me question if they really are the same deck. The commercial powerflow has a steel housing where the residential one is plastic as found on the Z740R. Granted most people don't have a collection system so this may be a wash. However I have replaced several plastic housings on my X585 over the years and welcome the steel construction on the commercial one.

The Z9xxR comes with a longer warranty by hours but the Z740R comes with a longer warranty by months. Kind of a wash based on your use case. Another indication that the Z7xx is marketed for residential vs the Z9xx being commercial.

The deck lift and leveling system looks very different on the Z740R. Never worked on one so I don't know what is better. However I am leveling my deck a couple times a year. That commercial powerflow head is heavy and I have to relevel the deck when I run it with and then again when I run without.

The Z920M is about 200lbs heavier. About 70 of that might be the weighted rear bumper.

The Z920M runs about $10K and while more expensive than the X740R at $9K they are much closer to each other than trying to compare it to a Z9xxR.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for this great comparison, I learn a little more every day. Some responses:

There are more differences between a Z740R and a Z930R to explain the cost differences. I would argue that the Z740R is a better comparison to a Z920M. I haven't seen one in person to compare the deck so I don't know what the difference is there. However the R in the Z9xxR adds things that the Z740R simply doesn't have. Granted there is more costs too. Those two models not only share the same engine (Kawasaki FX730V)

For instance, different hydrostatic drive which you pointed out in the model what you left out is that they are cross ported for better cooling. The Z9xxM doesn't have this either and suspect the Z9xxM may use the same hydrostatic drive that is found on the Z740R. The Z740R, Z915B/E and Z9xxM all have the 10 MPH ground speed. Once you step up to the Z9xxR it goes up to 12. There is more to this though and possibly the reason for the different hydrostatic drives. The Z9xxR has different control arms. They have a button on the end of each stick. One is a kill switch for the PTO the other is the button for the hydraulic deck lift. There is no foot pedal to lift the deck. There is a foot operated parking brake that only the Z9xxRs get as well.
Given my residential needs, the 10mph is plenty, but that PTO kill switch and a hydraulic deck lift would be real nice!

While there is a collection system for the Z740R, it isn't the commercial one found on the Z9xx. That makes me question if they really are the same deck. The commercial powerflow has a steel housing where the residential one is plastic as found on the Z740R. Granted most people don't have a collection system so this may be a wash. However I have replaced several plastic housings on my X585 over the years and welcome the steel construction on the commercial one.
No issue here, if I need a collection system I have a Trac-vac. It's currently set-up for the 2032r but if I buy a new head for the z740r it's an option, one I am not totally sure I would want to use. Loaded, that Trac-vac is heavy!! There's little or no need to stress the Z with that.

The Z9xxR comes with a longer warranty by hours but the Z740R comes with a longer warranty by months. Kind of a wash based on your use case. Another indication that the Z7xx is marketed for residential vs the Z9xx being commercial.
I doubt I will put 1000hrs on the Z740r over 4 years, so I would rather have 4 years than 2 years unlimited hours. Great option for the commercial guys, but not for me!

The deck lift and leveling system looks very different on the Z740R. Never worked on one so I don't know what is better. However I am leveling my deck a couple times a year. That commercial powerflow head is heavy and I have to relevel the deck when I run it with and then again when I run without.
Takes some getting used to, but it's really not that bad. Nothing like the awesome hydraulic lift on the 2032r.

The Z920M is about 200lbs heavier. About 70 of that might be the weighted rear bumper.
There were a few spots where I thought a little more weight on the wheels would've helped, but I'm a big boy, I probably add 80-100lbs more than most of you "normal" guys do. (See what I did there?)

The Z920M runs about $10K and while more expensive than the X740R at $9K they are much closer to each other than trying to compare it to a Z9xxR.
Yes, close, but I can find things to spend a grand on, I bet you can too! :lol::lol:

Thanks again, good points, much appreciated!

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Thanks for this great comparison, I learn a little more every day. Some responses:

Given my residential needs, the 10mph is plenty, but that PTO kill switch and a hydraulic deck lift would be real nice!
Ground speed isn't a big deal residential or commercial. I also mow just my residence not commercially. Where it does come in handy for me is it is a little faster making runs to dump the collection system. Mowing speed doesn't benefit from this. Really it is more the cross porting that is a feature not the ground speed. This allows fluid to flow from one transmission to the other to keep one from heating up more than the other. From what I have read this is a bigger deal if you are mowing a lot of hills. I don't have a ton of hills but I wanted the collection system which adds a lot of weight. More so when it is full so I figured it would help. Also that commercial powerflow head is heavy as I mentioned. Part of the installation directions on the B/E/M is to adjust the deck lift assist springs. Since I only run it part of the year and the R didn't have the requirement with the hydraulic lift, I figured it was a better option. As far as how it works and the PTO kill switch it might be a little different than someone might think. They are both momentary buttons. The deck lift will lift the deck as long as you hold the button or up to 25 seconds or something like that. Then it goes down. You can release and press the button again to reset the timer or while it is up, reach over and spin the deck transport lock. One problem with this is it is easier to feather the deck up a bit if going over a root or cresting a hill like when coming out of a ditch with the foot operated deck lift. You can just partially lift it if that is all you want and hold it there with your leg. As for the PTO all it does is break the safety circuit killing the PTO. If you want to start it again you still have to go over to the dash and turn off and back on the PTO. Really the buttons are nice but they are not perfect. There are a lot of situations where the manual foot operated one is better. I do like the PTO kill. Sometimes I am zipping around the yard and my eye catches a kids toy or something and cant get to the PTO switch quick enough but my thumb can find that kill switch a lot faster.

No issue here, if I need a collection system I have a Trac-vac. It's currently set-up for the 2032r but if I buy a new head for the z740r it's an option, one I am not totally sure I would want to use. Loaded, that Trac-vac is heavy!! There's little or no need to stress the Z with that.
For me (everyone has different needs) I wanted the collection on my mower so that I can dump the clippings and use the FEL on the tractor to pile them up. I don't like mowing or collecting with the FEL on as it is too hard to get close around the trees and it raises the center of gravity too much. Unless I can push it back I run out of space to dump. Again, my situation and what works better for me. As mentioned I wanted the R for this reason. The cross porting will help with longevity of it.

I doubt I will put 1000hrs on the Z740r over 4 years, so I would rather have 4 years than 2 years unlimited hours. Great option for the commercial guys, but not for me!
I bought a dealer demo unit because I got a better deal on it. It came with 65hrs and just turned 3 years old where my warranty is up. I am at 200 hrs. Like I mentioned on that one it is a wash based on how you use the machine one may be better than the other. I knew hours would never be a limiting factor but the Z740R wasn't an option either 3 years ago. Like you a 4 year 1000 would have been better but I was mainly pointing out differences.
Takes some getting used to, but it's really not that bad. Nothing like the awesome hydraulic lift on the 2032r.

There were a few spots where I thought a little more weight on the wheels would've helped, but I'm a big boy, I probably add 80-100lbs more than most of you "normal" guys do. (See what I did there?)
Ahh I might resemble you more than you think... :laugh: One of the differences with the B/E and the M/R is the rear bumper weight. Mine has a 70# cast iron bumper for weight. You want it low and as far back as possible. This helps going down hills. That is when you lose traction on the rear wheels. If you lose traction, you can't steer or stop. Some people have added rear weight or fluid filled tires.
Yes, close, but I can find things to spend a grand on, I bet you can too! :lol::lol:

Thanks again, good points, much appreciated!
You are right a grand is a grand. I just thought I would point out a machine that is a little closer of a comparison for apples to apples and it gives you a better understanding of real cost difference. All that goes out the window though when you get into different financing programs and dealer specials. That is what can add complexity to this. Kind of like with the tractors. A 2025R and a 3025E are really close in price. But when you start looking at the differences there are pros and cons with each machine that might drive a person one way or another. I don't need a mid mount mower because I have the Z950R so that mid PTO is less of a feature that I need. It is a machine that is mainly used for FEL work and clearing snow. Well there are some pros for more lifting capacity and a separate pump for steering.

Reactions: Gizmo2
1 - 20 of 29 Posts