Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had any experience with the new 10bu Dump from Seat MCS? Look at potentially getting one for a z950m and am hesitant to drop 4400+ on a system I cant find a review about. Would appreciate any input in terms of suction, blowout, removal off the machine and anything else you love/hate.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
Well, we will see if anyone else chimes in with personal experience with this one. I didn't even know they came out with a new one... Not sure if anyone has one yet.

That said... I have a Z950R with the 14bu DFS MCS. So I can only assume the two systems are pretty close. I did find a pic of this new one but it was more from the back so I can't see if it uses the same Powerflow head that I have. Maybe it is the same maybe it is different.

In general it sucks.... Well sucks things up. Sorry had to....

Really here are my thoughts again this is a bit different than mine but not drastic.

The good:
It seems to pick up leaves and clippings just fine. I normally use it in the fall for fall clean up. I will hit the yard in the spring as well but then it comes off and I just mow all summer. It is worth it for me that I don't have to put the mower and collection system on my X585 just for fall/spring clean up. I haven't put the mower on my X585 in over 5 years now. The Powerflow head (if the same as mine) is built like a tank. I really didn't like the plastic housing on the one for the X and 1-2 Series. This one is pretty much all solid steel. The one part that is plastic is a small deflector that rides along the ground. It is nice to whip up to my compost area, flip the lever and dump. Then zip back to picking up more. Much faster than the collection cart I have on the X585.

The interesting:
I broke a belt for driving the Powerflow one Sat afternoon. It was my final cleanup for the fall and I think there was rain or snow moving in the next day. Everything was really dry and I just wanted to be done with it and put it away for the winter. So I went over all my piles with a dead Powerflow head really just acting like a chute blocker. I also run the Oregon Gator G6 blades. I was shocked my piles of leaves were gone. I don't know where they went it just destroyed the leaves and it looked like I was picking them up but I wasn't.

The bad:
The 14bu hopper fills up fast. My concern is going down to a 10 would be even worse. I would want bigger not smaller. This might be a little better with the changed design but the trap door on my system sometimes doesn't dump stuff. Sometimes it gets hung up in the hopper. So this might be a pro with the new one over what I have. I am listing it as a con but it might be more with the design I have. The Powerflow head spins parallel to the deck and it is big. It adds quite a bit of width to the machine. I don't trailer it much but it won't fit on my trailer with the Powerflow head on the deck. It is really hard to tell when it is getting full. There is no warning that you are over filling it and if you do there goes the benefit of a DFS. You are going to have to get off and mess with stuff. This sucker fills up quick which gets back to my first comment. In peak leaf harvest I am making tons of trips to dump. I will say this is where the little bit faster ground speed of a R is nice as I make that trip all the way back to the compost pile a lot. Visibility to the rear is really blocked. Also when you cut all summer without that big hopper hanging out back you tend to forget it is there and clip trees with it. Though the new design is more over the engine. This last one is more of a personal thing so not an issue for most. I blew out my left shoulder in the military so I have loss of range of motion in it. It can be kind of hard for me to manipulate the dump lever just because my arm doesn't move like most people. If you have had extensive rotator cuff reconstruction (not talking about a little tear) you might have issues with manipulating it.

Getting back to "the interesting" part. I really wonder. It is a lot of money for a MCS. A simple chute blocker really did a number on my leaves. More so if you can catch them when they are dry. I spoke with a lot of people that were more in the commercial mowing career that said not to waste my money on a MCS. But what I took that as is they are mowing to make money. Time is money. If they pick up stuff they have to take more time to dispose of it. I have a compost pile in the back yard so that isn't an issue. Also I like having compost for more dirt and if I am not collecting them I have to get dirt from another source. So consider that. Also what would I do for those years that I dethatch? I have a dethatcher for the X585 and I will hit the yard with that and then pick it up with the MCS.

EDIT: I just saw a video on the new systems and they changed the Powerflow heads. Saying less clogs and need for double passes. I really didn't have much problem with that. It isn't clogging it is overfilling that is clogging it. Also getting hung up in the hopper. I basically back into the dump location, open the hopper, turn on the PTO and try and blow it out while jiggling the control levers to shake the machine to get it to dump at times. If that doesn't work then I am getting off to clean out the pipes. What I don't know that I like is that they went with two pipes now. More to disconnect and clean out if over filled. The blower is back by the exhaust. How is it powered? It looks too small for a small gas engine so maybe still belt driven they just passed by with the camera so fast you can't really see it. They did go with a clearish hose so maybe you can see it starting to overfill but it is behind you so it is hard to see.

Like I said, not really a perfect review of the exact product but those are my thoughts about the one they had before this one. I would be concerned about going even smaller. The areas they improved I don't think are areas that I would say I had issues on. Well maybe it would fit on my trailer now but that really isn't an issue for me 99% of the time. It would be if I was running a landscape company and was trailering it everywhere all the time. I just cut my yard but there have been times I have trailered it to a buddies house to help them out or my parents. Very rare though.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Welcome to my world lol.

‘’I’ve been on the fence about this subject for over a year now. I almost pulled the trigger on a 950m last year with the dfs mcs but couldn’t justify the price especially since my dealer couldn’t even find anybody locally that they sold one to that I could go and look at.

I have a 2320 that I bought new back in ‘08 with a MMM With the rear 3 bag/blower system I use it for mowing, snow blowing (have a 47’’ front PTO snow blower) and a bucket that I use for lots of projects on my property (cutting wood, landscaping etc). The 2320 is a beast and I love it. It does exactly what I want. That said I get tired of doing the spring and fall switch from mower to blower and visa-versa. My shoulders aren’t what they use to be and putting that PTO drive shaft on and off tweeks em every time. Bothers me for days on end each time I have to take it on or off... so hence the desire for a dedicated mower.

I have lots of trees and they 3 bag does the job but it’s a bit of work. They fill up quick. The shoot clogs often and can be a royal pain at times. I get a fair amount of blow out on the right front of the deck and must do a lot of dbl passes to get all the leaves. That said - I’ve spent some time looking for alternatives. There is a company called Terra King (sp?) that has a super awesome looking mcs that I could get but it doesn’t solve the problem I have of still having to do the spring/fall switch from mower to blower and back. I mean it has everything I’m looking for: power DFS, a sensor that goes off when it’s close to full so you don’t over fill, very large bushel capacity (can’t remember how much) and very high quality. But alas it is my unicorn.

So I come up with the dedicated mower idea and have been looking for over a year now at the 950m. That said I’d love a larger bushel mcs and one that has a power dump feature. As far as I’ve seen and have researched they just aren’t out there. I’m a physical therapist by profession and the positioning of these dump levers on the DFS systems is just horrible. I can’t begin to understand how this got past an ergonomics evaluation. Its a shoulder injury waiting to happen. The Terra Kind mcs won’t work on a zero turn (I called and asked) and now the new mcs has even less capacity than last years 😧😧. It’s a loose loose situation if you ask me.

Between the size of my yard (I like to bag my grass clippings - and yes I am aware of the naysayers opinions about that but that’s what I prefer) and the number of trees I have, I have to have some type of collection system. The grass clippings arent that big of a deal as they don’t pile up that quickly in the bagger but the leaves can take me a whole day at times if not more.

After all that I’m pretty sure I’m going to pull the trigger on either a 950m or a 960m this week with the 3 bag collection system. It’s the best bang for the buck although not really want I want but it’s the closest I can currently get. At least I’ll have a dedicated tractor and a dedicated mower which will save me lots of time in the end.

‘’if anybody has any other ideas I’m all ears

1 - 3 of 3 Posts