Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Given the number of issues that get reported following hydraulic fluid changes, I am tempted to skip the first 300 hour hydraulic fluid change on the 915B. Can anybody comment on the wisdom (or lack thereof) of that plan? We put about 70-80 hours/year on the machine, and it just doesn't seem like that would put much stress on the fluid.

Has anybody had any unhappy experiences changing the fluid on a 915, or is it a fairly benign procedure?

The hydraulics on the 1025r go through much more of a workout, so I'll definitely not skip that one. Just have to decide if I should do it myself or send it off to JD in the fall. (they do a free maintenance pickup in late fall/early winter.)

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
Got any links to the issues? I haven't looked for them but I wonder what the difficulty is? Mine is a bit different than the setup that is used on the B/E/M machines though. I am probably a year or two away from being due.

The biggest difference in this case is the hydraulic deck lift and the cross porting between the drive units.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,099 Posts
I have not changed mine yet but I do plan on changing it at 300 hours. I think the manual calls for every 500 hours AFTER the first 300 hours.

Reactions: KeyboardJungle

·
Registered
455 Posts
Given the number of issues that get reported following hydraulic fluid changes, I am tempted to skip the first 300 hour hydraulic fluid change on the 915B. Can anybody comment on the wisdom (or lack thereof) of that plan? We put about 70-80 hours/year on the machine, and it just doesn't seem like that would put much stress on the fluid.

Has anybody had any unhappy experiences changing the fluid on a 915, or is it a fairly benign procedure?

The hydraulics on the 1025r go through much more of a workout, so I'll definitely not skip that one. Just have to decide if I should do it myself or send it off to JD in the fall. (they do a free maintenance pickup in late fall/early winter.)

NOTE: First thing to do here as it will save you some guessing and time, plus how to measure the fluid you install in the tank/reservoir.
Find you a wooden dowel or something that you can stick in the reservoir tank to measure where the fluid is before you start. If the reservoir is where it should be, used the stick and mark on the stick where the fluid is showing. This will be your measuring stick when you install the new fluid where it needs to be filled to.

Doing this fluid change is a "no brainer" as they say. You will need two filters and about 1-1/5 gallons of J20C hydraulic fluid. Jack up the rear or use a chain hoist of some type to prevent this 1500 lb. dude from falling on you. Get one of your wife's large dishpans or pots to drain the old fluid into. You will need a 3/8" socket wrench...the remove the drain caps on the two transmission. Which ever one you drain first will drain more fluid as you will be draining that transmission plus the reservoir. The other transmission will have less fluid. You should get new "o rings" with the filters. Waring: Don't tighten the filer caps too tight as they are plastic.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got any links to the issues? I haven't looked for them but I wonder what the difficulty is? Mine is a bit different than the setup that is used on the B/E/M machines though. I am probably a year or two away from being due.
Poorly worded post on my part. I was referring in general to issues that pop up on the forum like 3 point won't raise, backhoe lacks power, etc, rather than issues specific to the 915B. Mostly with scuts. Sorry about that.

I'll reword my post tomorrow when I'm on a regular computer. Typing with one finger on the tablet drives me nuts.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have not changed mine yet but I do plan on changing it at 300 hours.
Be sure to post a report to help me decide if I should DIM or not!

Reactions: Gizmo2

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
Poorly worded post on my part. I was referring in general to issues that pop up on the forum like 3 point won't raise, backhoe lacks power, etc, rather than issues specific to the 915B. Mostly with scuts. Sorry about that.

I'll reword my post tomorrow when I'm on a regular computer. Typing with one finger on the tablet drives me nuts.
I see what you are saying.

I looked at the link with the process and the only difference I see is that I have an inline filter that the others don't have. Probably there to keep contamination from going between the drives.

As for how hard these are worked? That might depend on your yard. If it is pretty flat then you are not working them too hard. Do a lot of ditch or cross hill mowing where you are crabbing, then you are working them a lot harder. This was one of the benefits to the cross porting on the R version. If you are mowing a flat yard and only a couple hours every week, you might be able to extend it a bit. I imagine that 300 hrs recommendation is under the assumption this is a commercial mower running 8-12 hr days every day. Mine might see that in a month or two.

That said, I am going to change my fluid at 300 hrs. The process looks interesting. Drain the drives, change the filters and refill the tank. Then turn the wheels by hand, then run the engine in various states. Doesn't seem hard but a little tedious. I just don't want to risk it.

I have done a change on my X and it was pretty easy. As far as attachments and such having issues, most of that stuff should self bleed the air out. You just have to run them for a while.

Reactions: KeyboardJungle

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,099 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

I guess that I won't edit my poorly worded post - it appears that there is a time limit on editing a post, because the edit button only appears on subsequent posts, but not the first one.

I hope that my original post doesn't give anybody the impression that the hydraulic system or changing the fluid on the 915B is a problem. I am 110% satisfied with mine, and have no problems with it. I'm just a bit hesitant to do anything with the hydraulic system until I get a little more input on any collateral issues that could arise as a result of the fluid change, or what could go wrong when doing a fluid change. So far, the responses have me leaning toward a DIY rather than a dealer service.

Reactions: Gizmo2

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
I guess that I won't edit my poorly worded post - it appears that there is a time limit on editing a post, because the edit button only appears on subsequent posts, but not the first one.

I hope that my original post doesn't give anybody the impression that the hydraulic system or changing the fluid on the 915B is a problem. I am 110% satisfied with mine, and have no problems with it. I'm just a bit hesitant to do anything with the hydraulic system until I get a little more input on any collateral issues that could arise as a result of the fluid change, or what could go wrong when doing a fluid change. So far, the responses have me leaning toward a DIY rather than a dealer service.
The good news for a B/E/M owner is that the hydraulic fluid is only there for motion forward and back. As you mentioned the issues are more with getting air out of the other parts of the system like a FEL on a CUT. You don't have any of that with your machine. I will have to worry about getting the air out of my deck lift and cross porting but it shouldn't be a big deal.

·
Premium Member
13,053 Posts
The good news for a B/E/M owner is that the hydraulic fluid is only there for motion forward and back. As you mentioned the issues are more with getting air out of the other parts of the system like a FEL on a CUT. You don't have any of that with your machine. I will have to worry about getting the air out of my deck lift and cross porting but it shouldn't be a big deal.
There are rarely any issues with air in the hydraulic systems on most SCUT/CUT tractors as the systems are self bleeding. You just drain, fill 'er back up and go to work.

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
There are rarely any issues with air in the hydraulic systems on most SCUT/CUT tractors as the systems are self bleeding. You just drain, fill 'er back up and go to work.
Yeah, I agree, if you look at my earlier post that is what I was saying. OP was concerned about hydraulic issues following a change that he had read about on CUT machines.

Just letting them run for a while and cycle the attachments should purge out the air. Just be sure to keep an eye on the hydro level as it will drop as any air is worked out.

·
Registered
825 Posts
If you're worried about future hydrualic issues after the change, punt it. Let it be someone else's issue.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts