Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Those familiar with the Z915B will notice the missing plug. Lost this one last time I mowed. Ordered a couple new plugs from Green Farm Parts and they got here right away. Total cost $4.32 with free shipping! Kudos to Green Farm Parts!

Problem is I can't get this plug started into the reservoir. The sides of the reservoir are clear of any guides or other aids to insertion. The plug is a friction fit but no joy after encouraging it with a small ball-pein hammer.

Any ideas out there in GTT land?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope . . . sides of the reservoir are slick as a baby's behind. There is a remnant of a broken leaf on top of the grease . . . didn't notice it til after I took the pic. :hide:

·
Premium Member
13,053 Posts
Put the new cap in some hot water for a few minutes and then give it a try.

Reactions: BigJim55 and Gizmo2

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
Maybe try and heat it up a bit with a heat gun. You have the right part.

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That might help. Certainly worth a try. I'll let you know but will probably be tomorrow. Kinda hot in the barn right now. :unknown:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,097 Posts
I've read Many times not to over grease the front forks/pivots on ZTRs, it will pop the seals and or caps. 1 or 2 shots of grease maybe twice a year.
I would line the new cap up the best I could and lay a piece of 2x4 on top of it and give the 2x4 a rather good smack with a hammer.

Maybe this will help but it doesn't really show the installation... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lx55TZ9kGzo

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks again to GTT. Soaked the cap in hot water, used a 2x4 and a bigger hammer. Only took one lick to seat the cap.
Appreciate the help!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Gizmo2 and jgayman

·
Registered
455 Posts
Here is a good WARNING. Where do you think the grease goes/leaves the front wheel spindles?... Answer: NO WHERE. Once the front wheel spindles are greased(fully)… what gives you the idea you need to grease them again or each time your brain suggest in doing so. If you keep pushing grease into the zerks...the "plastic dust caps" to come off, and you have found out where they come off. Surely, you have found out what happens when you over-eat and your "bowels" get full... have you to rush to a toilet. That is the same thing that happens when you over-fill the spindle capacity with too much grease. Gee, thank God for brains.

·
Premium Member
13,053 Posts
Here is a good WARNING. Where do you think the grease goes/leaves the front wheel spindles?... Answer: NO WHERE. Once the front wheel spindles are greased(fully)… what gives you the idea you need to grease them again or each time your brain suggest in doing so. If you keep pushing grease into the zerks...the "plastic dust caps" to come off, and you have found out where they come off. Surely, you have found out what happens when you over-eat and your "bowels" get full... have you to rush to a toilet. That is the same thing that happens when you over-fill the spindle capacity with too much grease. Gee, thank God for brains.
Where does any grease go when it disappears? Why do I have to keep greasing the steering spindles on my lawn tractor? Where does the grease in my mower deck spindles go? :)

Perhaps you are supposed to inject new grease until the old grease pushes the cap off and then reinstall the cap. A lot of commercial ZTRs have vent holes for the old grease to escape before it builds too much pressure.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Where does any grease go when it disappears? Why do I have to keep greasing the steering spindles on my lawn tractor? Where does the grease in my mower deck spindles go? :)

Perhaps you are supposed to inject new grease until the old grease pushes the cap off and then reinstall the cap. A lot of commercial ZTRs have vent holes for the old grease to escape before it builds too much pressure.
I've never had to grease any spindles such as on a mower deck, any steering shaft, or wheel bearings...unless I had to replace any of those items. If grease escapes such grease capacity, it's all due to a bad seal. Grease don't wear out or evaporate that is I know of in all my days of owning equipment. Also, never seen anything like a wheel, spindle with bearings build up pressure.

What John Deere or any other manufacturer does here... they add a grease zerk, and a dust cap incase the owner has to replace any seal or bearing... not to keep adding grease when they don't need it.

·
Premium Member
13,053 Posts
From Z915B manual:

[h=4]Every 50 Hours[/h]
  • Lubricate deck components.

Every 500 Hours

• Change transmission oil and filter. (Every 500 Hours after 300 hour Initial Break In).
  • Check torque on ROPS hardware.
  • Lubricate front caster wheel pivots.
  • Change hydraulic oil and filter.
  • Remove cooling shroud and remove debris.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
The oil will eventually evaporate/separate from the thickener, and the thickener will turn to a wax crud that is bad for the parts, which means that you need to grease on a regular basis.

·
Registered
455 Posts
The next time you need to sharpen/replace your mower blades.... remove that metal cup like deflector that is between the blade and the spindle housing and see how much grease you have collected there because you have added grease to the zerks so much it has pushed the grease past the lower seals. That is where the grease is going that you think is being evaporated or used by the spindles rpms.

However, I do believe in a few things to prevent any bearing failures, and that is add a few tabs of bearing grease to the mower deck spindles that run at 1950 rpms. Also, I go one better on the fluid and filter on the transmissions, as I change those out at 250 hours instead of the 500 hours as JD suggests. When the costs to replace a hydro is $1,700.00 ea. that will keep your memory up to date.

Most of you probably own an automobile...past or present. And those that drove automobiles from 1915-2004 remembers those had front wheel bearings and they had grease to keep the bearings from wearing out. Most owners repacked those wheel bearing each time they replaced the brake shoes. Well, I must be driving a good luck vehicles, as I never have had to replace wheels bearings since I have own a vehicle. which I have been driving cars/trucks since 1948. Wonder why those front wheels didn't have grease zerks?

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,097 Posts
There are plenty of greaseless mower deck spindles out there.
The manual for our old ZMaster stated to add grease to the deck spindles until you saw grease coming out.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts