Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a newly established fescue lawn here in North Carolina. No shade and hot weather lately. I've been mowing the fescue on the max height 5.5 so not to let the heat completely kill it. This is a brand new 915E btw. So it seems that it clogs up quite easily and throws out chunks of matted grass but it also tends to leave a small strip of grass that is incompletely cut no matter have slow or fast I mow. It seems A LOT of grass is getting stuck to the underside of the deck......This could be the culprit restricting air flow. Is there a solution? High vacuum blades? Some way to keep grass from getting stuck to underside? Any help appreciated because I didnt expect this from a $8k mower.

·
Registered
23,293 Posts
When you are mowing at the maximum height you loose vacuum under the deck. You shouldn't see the clumps and clogging if you set it lower. But I understand why you are mowing it high. If set at 3.5" you will see much better results. Maybe just try one pass set like that and see.

There is nothing wrong with your mower.

Reactions: gbnpp05

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When you are mowing at the maximum height you loose vacuum under the deck. You shouldn't see the clumps and clogging if you set it lower. But I understand why you are mowing it high. If set at 3.5" you will see much better results. Maybe just try one pass set like that and see.

There is nothing wrong with your mower.

Thank you for that. I will start cutting lower. I suppose 3.5-4" wont hurt

·
Registered
747 Posts
If you still are leaving a strip check to see that one of the blades didn't get installed upside down by accident. I did it myself once and did a whole lap around the area before I realized it.

Reactions: raco232 and Gizmo2

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,099 Posts
What blades are you running jsmith3001?
You are running WOT?

·
Registered
640 Posts
I never cut above 4" on mine because of the same thing. Any higher and the vacuum just isn't there. I am running gator blades on mine and wouldn't use anything else. My lawn is thick fescue and grows fast and I cut every week during season.

Reactions: Gizmo2

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,099 Posts
We cut our lawn at 3.25 -3.5 here. 4 - 4.5 for the horse pasture. GREENVA pretty much said what we see.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I run a Z915 at 4.5" on NC fescue with no issues at all and the yard looks like a golf course. When the cool season fescue is growing like a champ, I use mulching blades. During summer, I wind up swapping those for regular blades. If there's enough grass under that deck that it's clumping, lower it a little. And you might need to mow every 4 or 5 days if yours is growing like ours has been.

Reactions: Gizmo2
1 - 8 of 8 Posts