Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a small puncture on sidewall (circled in photo) that’s leaking. Can this area be repaired or am i looking at buying a new tire? It’s a Carlisle Turfmaster 24x12-12, 4 ply.

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
IMO a tire shop should be able to put a patch on the inside of the tire. for maybe $10.00 or less.

·
Registered
656 Posts
If not patchable, I'd consider a tube before replacing the entire tire...

Brian

IMO a tire shop should be able to put a patch on the inside of the tire. for maybe $10.00 or less.

Reactions: bfloyd4445

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Option 1 - Plug kit
Option 2 - Tube
Option 3 - Slime/fix a flat
Option 4 - New tire

I know most tire shops won't touch a sidewall puncture, maybe since its a mower tire they would fix it though.

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
I have a plug in almost the same spot on my Z950R. It hold air just fine. Would I trust a plug on the sidewall of a car/truck/motorcycle? No way. In my Zero Turn? Heck yeah. As long as it holds air plug and move on. As mentioned plug/patch from inside.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a plug in almost the same spot on my Z950R. It hold air just fine. Would I trust a plug on the sidewall of a car/truck/motorcycle? No way. In my Zero Turn? Heck yeah. As long as it holds air plug and move on. As mentioned plug/patch from inside.
That’s what I was thinking...Would never trust on my vehicle, but I only mow my own property, so what’s worst that could happen? I get stranded in the “lower 40”

Think I’ll see if I can patch first.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Several years ago I worked at a local tire shop. Our patch supplier one day brought in some literature regarding plugging tires.
They put over 100 plugs, the standard kind, not the patch plugs, in the SIDE of a tire, then proceeded to drive it across country. Twice.
While the practice was and still is not recommended for use, it is a very safe method of repair even on higher speed tires with a standard puncture (not a slit or tear).
I mention this sometimes when these questions arise, as these are VERY low speed applications.
The reason they arent used on road going vehicles is because of the possibility of an accident, should a blowout occur from improper application.

What happens when your tire on your mower blows at 8 mph? Not a whole lot....

Anyway, plug it if you want. You dont need to take it anywhere. Go to the parts store and get a plug kit and have at it. Wont take 5 minutes.

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
Several years ago I worked at a local tire shop. Our patch supplier one day brought in some literature regarding plugging tires.
They put over 100 plugs, the standard kind, not the patch plugs, in the SIDE of a tire, then proceeded to drive it across country. Twice.
While the practice was and still is not recommended for use, it is a very safe method of repair even on higher speed tires with a standard puncture (not a slit or tear).
I mention this sometimes when these questions arise, as these are VERY low speed applications.
The reason they arent used on road going vehicles is because of the possibility of an accident, should a blowout occur from improper application.

What happens when your tire on your mower blows at 8 mph? Not a whole lot....

Anyway, plug it if you want. You dont need to take it anywhere. Go to the parts store and get a plug kit and have at it. Wont take 5 minutes.
Yeah I have patched tires from the inside like this but the biggest concern is effort around breaking the bead and what a tire shop charges. Now if the local tire shop is 50 miles each way, I would do it myself. In my case I happen to have a tire changer mainly for doing motorcycle tires so I would probably still do it myself. However then there is the fact that my local Discount Tire dealer which is about 3 miles each way, does it for free. Even when I didn't buy the tire from them they haven't charged me for stuff like this. They will just say keep us in mind the next time you need tires. They price match Tire Rack or other places and guess what, I have bought every tire since then from them. Not motorcycle tires though as they don't do them. However when I run a car tire on my motorcycle I do get it from them. They do look at me strange when I order just 1 tire and mumble something about a Honda when they ask what kind of vehicle it is going on and that I would take care of mounting and balancing it. When I get 25-30K miles on a $100 car tire vs 5-8K on a $160-$180 MC tire there is a big difference.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Yeah I have patched tires from the inside like this but the biggest concern is effort around breaking the bead and what a tire shop charges. Now if the local tire shop is 50 miles each way, I would do it myself. In my case I happen to have a tire changer mainly for doing motorcycle tires so I would probably still do it myself. However then there is the fact that my local Discount Tire dealer which is about 3 miles each way, does it for free. Even when I didn't buy the tire from them they haven't charged me for stuff like this. They will just say keep us in mind the next time you need tires. They price match Tire Rack or other places and guess what, I have bought every tire since then from them. Not motorcycle tires though as they don't do them. However when I run a car tire on my motorcycle I do get it from them. They do look at me strange when I order just 1 tire and mumble something about a Honda when they ask what kind of vehicle it is going on and that I would take care of mounting and balancing it. When I get 25-30K miles on a $100 car tire vs 5-8K on a $160-$180 MC tire there is a big difference.
Yep, you just can't turn as good!

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
Yep, you just can't turn as good!
Actually a little better. It raises the back end a bit giving me more lean angle before the pegs start to drag. The counter steering is just a little heavier.

·
Registered
5,882 Posts
Sealant

Honestly, I'd put some Liquitube tire sealant in it and call it good but I hate dismounting/mounting lawnmower tires and would probably have to pay a local shop $10 or so plus take it to them.

If I had a shop that would do it for free, I'd probably let them plug it/patch it but either way I wouldn't replace the tire unless you are doing lawnmower races, lol.

Treefarmer

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,097 Posts
I'd patch it and put a tube in the tire.

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
Honestly, I'd put some Liquitube tire sealant in it and call it good but I hate dismounting/mounting lawnmower tires and would probably have to pay a local shop $10 or so plus take it to them.

If I had a shop that would do it for free, I'd probably let them plug it/patch it but either way I wouldn't replace the tire unless you are doing lawnmower races, lol.

Treefarmer
Normally I would agree but this is pretty far up the sidewall. Maybe it would work to pull the wheel and lay with the hole side down. It is hard to say how big of a hole it is as well.

Reactions: Gizmo2

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Actually a little better. It raises the back end a bit giving me more lean angle before the pegs start to drag. The counter steering is just a little heavier.
Yeah, you get more lean angle, but less contact patch. And the initial lean in has to be hell!

Granted, I'm 100% confidant that you are on a cruiser/touring bike.
My perspective is off sport bikes... No car tires here!

Now, to keep it on topic, I did once plug a rear tire on my bike. Not smart, but it had less than 1k miles on it!
Lasted anther 2k then I killed it in a burnout contest.

Attachments

·
Registered
455 Posts
The picture of the hole in the tire sidewall is no big deal....replacing the tire is out of the question. Take it to a tire shop and have them to install a "tire sidewall patch", and you might consider installing a tube.

Both of my rear tires on my '99 JD 345 have some patches and tubes in them, and have for about 15 years now.
You aren't going to be driving the tractor 60 mph, so don't worry it will last a lot more years.

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
Now, to keep it on topic, I did once plug a rear tire on my bike. Not smart, but it had less than 1k miles on it!
Lasted anther 2k then I killed it in a burnout contest.
I do carry a plug kit and an air compressor. Mainly to get me home though.

Reactions: bfloyd4445

·
Registered
5,882 Posts
Up to 1/4"

Normally I would agree but this is pretty far up the sidewall. Maybe it would work to pull the wheel and lay with the hole side down. It is hard to say how big of a hole it is as well.
I'd be comfortable with Liquitube up to a 1/4" hole. Specs say it will go larger but that's in a heavier tire. I cringe every time I see one of these videos Premium Tire Sealant Videos - Liquitube but the danged stuff works.

I agree with some of the other comments. If this was a high speed tire, I'd probably replace it. A blowout at 65 mph isn't much fun.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Got a small puncture on sidewall (circled in photo) that’s leaking. Can this area be repaired or am i looking at buying a new tire? It’s a Carlisle Turfmaster 24x12-12, 4 ply.

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Tire looks fine I would tube it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts