Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Z930M. The Engine Diagnostic Indicator Light has come on and off. This is the light in the top right of the indicator/hr display. This is what the manual says:

"Engine Diagnostic Indicator Light (B) is used for Z925M EFI and Z930M EFI engines only. Light will be on if active engine diagnostic code is present. See your John Deere dealer."

Does anyone know what the light indicates or what diagnostic codes are possible?

Thanks

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
35,190 Posts
No clue here. Sorry.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Flip your seat forward and look at the data plate on the side fender just below the dash. There should be a data plate with the codes listed. You have to count the number of flashes of the diagnostic light to translate what the code is. I think it is also in the owners manual somewhere but the closest place to find it is on that fender.

I should say at least my 2015 Z950R has the codes listed there.

I don't see the diagnostic light on very often but it has come on a few times for something silly like I was trying to start it and the parking brake wasn't set.

I also found this on John Deere's website.

OMTCU36879

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the replies. There are 2 different indicator lights. The one you spoke of is the Vehicle Diagnostic Indicator Light - it flashes codes and yes there is a data plate to look at for issues. The light I have on is the Engine Diagnostic Indicator Light. The manual shows this light is for the engine only on the 925 and 930 efi models. It doesn't flash so I can see any codes. From the manual it sounds like I might have to take it to Deere to have them scan??

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
I should add that the way to read the codes is clearly to count the flashes. The code will repeat over and over until cleared. Clearing can simply pretend it is a windows computer. Turn it off and on again. As long as the condition is corrected, the code will clear. In the case of my oops, I parked on perfectly flat ground in my pole barn and didn't set my parking brake. Turn it off, set the parking brake, turn it back on and start. The condition that caused the code has been corrected and the light will no longer flash.

Looking at the diagram that I linked to above the code for the parking brake is 1-2. This means 1 flash a pause and 2 flashes.

Oh another one I see is PTO/Mow Engaged. The code is 1-3. So, 1 flash a pause then 3 flashes. Odds are this is a code that will impact us with the "R" version far more often than an "E/B/M" machine. What happens when I get this most of the time is I was mowing and used the thumb operated kill switch for the PTO that is only on "R" models. When you use this button, it trips the PTO safety interlocks and kills the PTO. This is the same thing as if the operator got out of the seat with the PTO running and the system can't tell the difference. When you kill the PTO this way (which is perfectly fine) it doesn't physically turn off the PTO on the dash mounted switch. So, if you park, and go to start the machine later, it will sense that the PTO switch (dash mounted) is still in "On" position and throw that 1-3 code. Since only "R" models have the buttons on the control sticks for Deck Lift and Kill PTO, it is something that those machines will probably see a lot more often than over versions. That is unless your "normal" way of turning off the PTO is to get out of the seat when it is running which would be pretty odd.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Thank you for the replies. There are 2 different indicator lights. The one you spoke of is the Vehicle Diagnostic Indicator Light - it flashes codes and yes there is a data plate to look at for issues. The light I have on is the Engine Diagnostic Indicator Light. The manual shows this light is for the engine only on the 925 and 930 efi models. It doesn't flash so I can see any codes. From the manual it sounds like I might have to take it to Deere to have them scan??
Hmm, so you have an EFI. I missed that. I don't have the TM yet so I can't look that up for you. Now that you mention it, I do seem to remember something about another diagnostic light for the EFI machines.

Is the machine running fine? You mentioned there is a light.

So my other machine is a X585 which has the 25HP EFI Kawasaki. That will turn on the an engine diagnostic light under certain conditions. It is basically the same engine as yours in a horizontal shaft configuration vs the vertical that you have. I can't tell you where it is on your machine but there is an EFI control module that has a button on it. I want to say you can clear the light with that button and maybe pull the codes. It has been a long time since I have used that. See if you can follow the wiring harness from the engine probably under the seat somewhere and look for an EFI control module. You might have a push button switch on there.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Does that have a Kohler Engine in it not a Kawasaki? I see the non EFI is a FX801V but the EFI looks to be an ECV749. I thought all gas M and R machines had Kawasaki engines.

The link above to the ECV749 has the owner's and service manual for that engine. I'll bet it has the diagnostic info. The John Deere TMs are great, I also keep the Kawasaki and manuals stored with my other PDFs. Keep in mind that the actual manufacturer of the component may know more about that component than the Assembler.

NOTE: I know sharing trademarked/copy-write protected manuals here is a no-no (for instance the John Deere TM for Z9xx). However these links are to the manufacturer for the engine and they choose to share the manual freely to the public.

EDIT: Page 50/51 is where they start talking the diagnostic codes and how to access them if you have that Kohler Engine.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It is a Kohler. You have given me a lot of info to go though - Thanks!! I will dig into it over the next few days.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts