Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a Z930. When I try to start it, the motor spins and as it is spinning smoke is pouring out the exhaust system. It will try to start but never does and smoke just keeps coming out of the exhaust system. It will sputter occasionally like it wants to start but never does. So I assume there is spark but the amount of smoke coming out of the exhaust is copious. The smoke starts as soon as you start turning the motor.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thank you

·
Premium Member
Early 2017 Vintage 1025R TLB (260/H120)
3,715 Posts
Black smoke? Blue Smoke?

·
Premium Member
17,084 Posts
So I have a Z930. When I try to start it, the motor spins and as it is spinning smoke is pouring out the exhaust system. It will try to start but never does and smoke just keeps coming out of the exhaust system. It will sputter occasionally like it wants to start but never does. So I assume there is spark but the amount of smoke coming out of the exhaust is copious. The smoke starts as soon as you start turning the motor.
EFI or non-EFI engine?

·
Registered
573 Posts
Black smoke...oil loaded in the heads. Blue smoke...too much fuel in heads. White smoke... Coolant in same. Check oil level to see if there's gas in the oil...If so, carburetor float is stuck open allowing fuel to flow into the cylinder heads.

·
Registered
5,093 Posts
When was the last time it ran? How many hours?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Black smoke...oil loaded in the heads. Blue smoke...too much fuel in heads. White smoke... Coolant in same. Check oil level to see if there's gas in the oil...If so, carburetor float is stuck open allowing fuel to flow into the cylinder heads.
I did check the oil level and smelled it and did not get any order of gas. The oil seemed clean. It was clear with just a little darkness.

·
Premium Member
17,084 Posts
There are a little over 400 hours on the motor. It ran last week and then stopped and will not start as described.
Did the engine stop unexpectedly or did you shut it off with the key?

Reactions: MattL

·
Registered
5,093 Posts
Is the hour meter flashing any codes? There should be a red light that flashes if it is detecting anything and a chart on the side wall by the panel if you flip up the seat.

·
Registered
6,043 Posts
My feeble understanding is that black smoke is fuel related and blue smoke is oil related?????

Dave

·
Registered
573 Posts
Grooty, You need to do one thing first. Do you know if the engine is a Kawasaki or a Kohler brand. When you know that, you need to know the engine code.. Like Kohler Command Pro Code" ECV/ECH749 or CH26S.
Next... log to...https://www.mymowerparts.com/
1. Click on the "Red Banner" on the webs site. "Repair Manuals"
2. Scroll down to Kawasaki -Service and Repair Manuals...if the engine is a Kawasaki. On that page it would show your engine code number.
3. If the engine is a Kohler. That is the next item down on the engine section. Again, it would show the engine code numbers.
4. When you have located the correct engine. scroll to you come to .Trouble Shooting" section. There you will find the causes why the engine won't start.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
45,465 Posts
Almost sounds electrical.

·
Premium Member
17,084 Posts
Grooty, You need to do one thing first. Do you know if the engine is a Kawasaki or a Kohler brand. When you know that, you need to know the engine code.. Like Kohler Command Pro Code" ECV/ECH749 or CH26S.
Next... log to...https://www.mymowerparts.com/
If it is an EFI engine then it looks like a Kohler PS-CV749. It's odd though that JD Parts shows an EFI option yet none of the Operator's Manuals mentions an EFI Kohler, only a carb Kawasaki.

·
Registered
6,043 Posts
All I can find on the Z930M for engine is F80IV which is a Kawasaki engine at 25.5 HP.

Dave

·
Premium Member
17,084 Posts
All I can find on the Z930M for engine is F80IV which is a Kawasaki engine at 25.5 HP.

Dave
JD Parts shows these choices... the EFI is Kohler, the other one is Kawasaki.

Reactions: Yank
1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.