Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a Z930. When I try to start it, the motor spins and as it is spinning smoke is pouring out the exhaust system. It will try to start but never does and smoke just keeps coming out of the exhaust system. It will sputter occasionally like it wants to start but never does. So I assume there is spark but the amount of smoke coming out of the exhaust is copious. The smoke starts as soon as you start turning the motor.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thank you

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Black smoke...oil loaded in the heads. Blue smoke...too much fuel in heads. White smoke... Coolant in same. Check oil level to see if there's gas in the oil...If so, carburetor float is stuck open allowing fuel to flow into the cylinder heads.
I did check the oil level and smelled it and did not get any order of gas. The oil seemed clean. It was clear with just a little darkness.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
On the engine housing near the bottom area that bolts to the frame, there is a Identification Label. It will show the engine code. It is between the frame and the right side part of the engine. Very difficult to see and read.
If it is a Kohler.
It will show the Model No. like 874
Engine Specification: like CV680-3028
Serial Number...………………….
Build Date: like 04/12/2016
On the engine housing near the bottom area that bolts to the frame, there is a Identification Label. It will show the engine code. It is between the frame and the right side part of the engine. Very difficult to see and read.
If it is a Kohler.
It will show the Model No. like 874
Engine Specification: like CV680-3028
Serial Number...………………….
Build Date: like 04/12/2016
Is this what you are asking for?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Before thowing parts at it I think it would be prudent to determine the cause of the fault. Most EFI engines have en electric fuel pump and checking the fuel rail pressure would be a good thing to do if the engine won't start. I'm not familiar with this particular engine (my 930M has the Kawazaki) but you may be able to see a schrader valve on the fuel rail - this is where you would attach the pressure gauge. Worst case, depress the valve stem and see if fuel squirts out. No fuel=no start=pump issue. After that you might check for spark and compression on both cylinders.
I’ll giver her a try as soon as the rain let’s up.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Here are a couple is pics. I bought new plugs the old ones had oil on them. The right side worse than the left.

sprayed some starter fluid and it ran and smoked like crazy and then died. I don’t understand why it will not keep running. Even burning oil it should keep running so I wonder if there is an oil problem but maybe another problem with it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
The picture with the oil stick really doesn't show if the oil is one quart low or not. But, it appears it is a quart low.
With the new spark plugs installed, pull them now and if they are coated with oil as the old ones. If so, you have piston rings problem and oil is being pumped into the combustion chamber.
Did you replace the fuel filter?
If you can start it with starting fluid, then my opinion is that you have a fuel delivery problem. Have you tested the fuel pump? Take the output hose off and crank it to see if any fuel comes out.

Dave
I agree but today is a holiday. Maybe tomorrow but I agree there has to be a fuel delivery issue. But with the new plug coming out oily I believe the rings or guides are shot.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
If those spark plugs are coated with oil, I would suspect the guide seals are gone and need replacing, which requires you removing the heads. Do this first, do a compression check...wet and dry that is if you have the equipment to do a cylinder compression check?
Unfortunately I do not have that tool. It’s going back to the dealer where I purchased it. They have been responsible for the maintenance since it was purchased so I will let them take it from here.

I do want to thank everyone for all the help. This is an excellent forum and greatly appreciate all you comments. I will let you know what happens. Thank you.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.