Green Tractor Talk banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
6,043 Posts
I could not find a listing for the F80IV engine, so looked up the next higher HP which is the 31HP FX921V that I have in my Z960R.

Dave

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I could not find a listing for the F80IV engine, so looked up the next higher HP which is the 31HP FX921V that I have in my Z960R.

Dave

View attachment 788988
Interesting. I did take the air cleaners off and tried to start it. It initially made a popping noise like a backfire then tried to start but never did. Just kept blowing smoke.

·
Registered
6,043 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Check the oil level on the dipstick, if it is over full and very dark to black in color, and the viscosity looks thin( ie; dripping off dipstick quicker than usual) . If this is the case , you need to rebuild the carburetor, and change oil and filter. There will be no separation with gas and oil short term , as they will mix. Hope this helps

·
Registered
575 Posts
On the engine housing near the bottom area that bolts to the frame, there is a Identification Label. It will show the engine code. It is between the frame and the right side part of the engine. Very difficult to see and read.
If it is a Kohler.
It will show the Model No. like 874
Engine Specification: like CV680-3028
Serial Number...………………….
Build Date: like 04/12/2016

·
Premium Member
4,047 Posts
Check the oil level on the dipstick, if it is over full and very dark to black in color, and the viscosity looks thin( ie; dripping off dipstick quicker than usual) . If this is the case , you need to rebuild the carburetor, and change oil and filter. There will be no separation with gas and oil short term , as they will mix. Hope this helps
It's EFI, no carb.

·
Premium Member
17,423 Posts
I know that if the flywheel key shears or partially shears it will prevent the engine from starting but it will continue to cough, sputter and sometimes backfire. I can't imagine the key shearing just from you shutting it off but stranger things have happened.

Obviously, with EFI there are more things to go wrong and it can be much more difficult to diagnose yourself - as compared with a carbureted engine.

Reactions: AJgrn78

·
Registered
575 Posts
It could happen, but, I've never heard of a large horsepower engine...such as V-twin that have large key-ways and pins to shear or partially shear.
If it is a Kohler...older models. They installed the Smart-Spark system and it was trouble from the beginning. In 2019 they discontinued it and went to a better system.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
On the engine housing near the bottom area that bolts to the frame, there is a Identification Label. It will show the engine code. It is between the frame and the right side part of the engine. Very difficult to see and read.
If it is a Kohler.
Serial Number...………………….
If it is a Kohler.
Serial Number...………………….
Is this what you are asking for?

·
Registered
575 Posts
That is the one. You have a 2013 Kohler ECV/749 V-Twin EFI engine. But, I didn't know that Kohler made their engine in China. Not good.

OK, here is the site for the Repair manual. Scroll down to page 18 for 'Troubleshooting Tips" and pages 27 28 on the EFI systems.
sm_24_690_02.pdf (kohlerengines.com)
First, I would replace the Electric Fuel Injection fuel filter. It is due every 200 hours.
It also could be the Smart-Spark system that is causing the no start. Cost to replace...about $130.00

·
Registered
1025R, Z930M, GX345
59 Posts
Before thowing parts at it I think it would be prudent to determine the cause of the fault. Most EFI engines have en electric fuel pump and checking the fuel rail pressure would be a good thing to do if the engine won't start. I'm not familiar with this particular engine (my 930M has the Kawazaki) but you may be able to see a schrader valve on the fuel rail - this is where you would attach the pressure gauge. Worst case, depress the valve stem and see if fuel squirts out. No fuel=no start=pump issue. After that you might check for spark and compression on both cylinders.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Before thowing parts at it I think it would be prudent to determine the cause of the fault. Most EFI engines have en electric fuel pump and checking the fuel rail pressure would be a good thing to do if the engine won't start. I'm not familiar with this particular engine (my 930M has the Kawazaki) but you may be able to see a schrader valve on the fuel rail - this is where you would attach the pressure gauge. Worst case, depress the valve stem and see if fuel squirts out. No fuel=no start=pump issue. After that you might check for spark and compression on both cylinders.
I’ll giver her a try as soon as the rain let’s up.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Here are a couple is pics. I bought new plugs the old ones had oil on them. The right side worse than the left.

sprayed some starter fluid and it ran and smoked like crazy and then died. I don’t understand why it will not keep running. Even burning oil it should keep running so I wonder if there is an oil problem but maybe another problem with it.

·
Registered
575 Posts
The picture with the oil stick really doesn't show if the oil is one quart low or not. But, it appears it is a quart low.
With the new spark plugs installed, pull them now and if they are coated with oil as the old ones. If so, you have piston rings problem and oil is being pumped into the combustion chamber.
Did you replace the fuel filter?

·
Registered
6,043 Posts
If you can start it with starting fluid, then my opinion is that you have a fuel delivery problem. Have you tested the fuel pump? Take the output hose off and crank it to see if any fuel comes out.

Dave

·
Registered
135 Posts
I suspect this is fuel issue as well. It will on start on ether but dies? Check your fuel filter and fuel pump for operation.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
The picture with the oil stick really doesn't show if the oil is one quart low or not. But, it appears it is a quart low.
With the new spark plugs installed, pull them now and if they are coated with oil as the old ones. If so, you have piston rings problem and oil is being pumped into the combustion chamber.
Did you replace the fuel filter?
If you can start it with starting fluid, then my opinion is that you have a fuel delivery problem. Have you tested the fuel pump? Take the output hose off and crank it to see if any fuel comes out.

Dave
I agree but today is a holiday. Maybe tomorrow but I agree there has to be a fuel delivery issue. But with the new plug coming out oily I believe the rings or guides are shot.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.