Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading the forums and I haven't seen anyone mention these. I don't mean the MOD deck, which people seem to really dislike, but the mulching KIT which appears to be different blades and a set of baffles.

How well does the mower chop clippings without it? We won't ever be bagging and I am considering the mulching kit to avoid windrows in the spring when the grass is growing 2 inches a day. Has anyone used the kit?

B

·
Registered
313 Posts
I've been reading the forums and I haven't seen anyone mention these. I don't mean the MOD deck, which people seem to really dislike, but the mulching KIT which appears to be different blades and a set of baffles.

How well does the mower chop clippings without it? We won't ever be bagging and I am considering the mulching kit to avoid windrows in the spring when the grass is growing 2 inches a day. Has anyone used the kit?

B
HEY!, bpmcgee… I own a JDZ710A with a 54" 7 Iron deck that came with the mulching kit attached. I don't do any mulching of sorts, so I removed the deck mulching blocking plate, but, I didn't remove the "mulching baffles" or the #M135334 mulching blades. I can chop up 1/4"-1/2" tree limbs into fine pieces without any problems. Also, I get a great cut on the grass with the #M135334 blades and very little grass build-up under the deck by leaving the baffles still bolted to the deck. Here are the #M135334 blades. NOTE: The length of the cutting edge on the blades. ...about 7-1/2" each side.

So, this may be something you need to consider.

·
Registered
20,782 Posts
Not for a zero turn, but....

I’ve been mowing with Deere tractors and zero turns for probably 45 years and had never used a mulch kit. I bought one over the winter for my 62D deck and find that it is awesome. We have heavy dew here every morning and would be tracking grass clippings into the house for 3 days after each mowing. Now - not a trace of grass clippings anywhere - perfect!

I mowed with the grass being soaking wet yesterday and it still did fine. The only issue was when I shut the mower off it would release 20#-30# of grass clippings wherever I stopped. That of course isn’t an issue when dry.

And it seems pretty tough as kebab says - lots of acorns, pine cones, and small sticks and it does fine.

I used it on some leftover leaves this spring -I was amazed that after 1 pass over heavy oak leaves that they simply disappeared.

I am now a believer in mulch kits after all these years.

·
Registered
11,886 Posts
Not for a zero turn, but....
Same here, 60d on a 2025R but I'll say this, I've been a full time mulcher for 20+ years and have never seen anything mulch better than these JD decks with the mulch kit. Nothing bigger than 1/4" when done, even on somewhat wet grass they work very well.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
I use the Gator G6 blades on my Z950R. Not sure what you are coming from but compared to the 54C deck on my X585, the Z really casts out the clippings far. I would say 1-1.5x the deck width. So it is discharging 60-90" from the chute so I do not see windrows.

For me I wouldn't want to do the mulch kit. The reason is I have the Dump From Seat Material Collection System for my Z. So I would have to get under there and remove the baffles to be able to collect leaves in the fall/spring. When I was buying my machine I was talking to a co-worker who is buddies with a few guys that have commercial mowing operations. They were all saying not to get the MCS and to go with a baffle mulching kit. I almost did but I like collecting in the leaves for my compost pile and dirt production. But I don't want to mess with that all year. The difference is those guys are cutting commercially so if they pick it up, they have to dump it somewhere. That adds time and more stops. I dump in my back yard. So I went against their recommendation and got the MCS. I am happy with it. If I didn't go with the MCS, I would have gotten the baffles like you are looking at. Here is what I would do. Try the machine as is. The much kit isn't that much to where you would be hurting if you didn't roll it into the PO on the machine to build it into 0% financing. Assuming you are going that route. I want to say it is about $200. You can always add it later.

The only drawback I can think of is that it will be harder to clean the underside of the deck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts