Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Z997 (bought 2010) won't start. I get an error code of 3-2 which indicates low voltage. I took the battery cables off and the multimeter shows 12.97V. I replaced the Start Relay. I pulled the cover off the fuse box and both are ok as are the diodes. I am not a mechanic.

Any thoughts on what could be wrong? Does anyone know the part # of these diodes?

Gesture Finger Thumb Wrist Gadget

Tints and shades Rectangle Fashion accessory Auto part Shadow

Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Check and clean all ground connections at the battery, and chassis side of negative cable, with a wire brush or wire wheel, file. Also, check for broken ground cables. Even the wire inside whatever type of connector is used, can oxidize and cause a bad connection inside the connector/lug. A bad ground, will/can cause a no start issue.

Reactions: driveshaft

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
I cleaned the battery posts and cable connectors, still won't start. I will check the chassis side connections next, thank you.
Also, clean the chassis where they meet, while you're in their cleaning the connector.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I sanded and cleaned the neg connectors on the chassis and the engine. I checked the post cable connection to the starter motor and it is tight. The 3-2 yellow code is gone but the low engine oil pressure light continues to blink erratically. I did not think to mention this red light earlier, sorry. Still won't start.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Ok, is it cranking at all, and not lighting off, or not even cranking?

Also, make sure the PTO has not accidentally been engaged. Park brake is set. Verify seat safety switch is functioning correctly, or bypassed. You can also take the battery to a local auto parts store where they can perform a load test on it. Is it the original battery? If it's an 11 year old battery, it may have just finally gave up. That's a pretty good run, if it's the original battery.

The oil light could just be a by-product of the electrical issue. It could also be due to low a oil level. Verify oil level is correct. There may be a protection built into the low oil pressure sensor, that prevents it from being run, so no damage can occur from low oil/low pressure.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not cranking at all. I think I am hearing the fuel pump but that is it. PTO? This is a Z997 zero turn lawn mower. I don't think there is a PTO. I changed the oil myself Just 2 days ago, right after I found out it would not start. I just now check the oil level and it is up to the full mark on the dip stick. The last time I had this in to the dealer was 2016 because it would not start. They put in a new battery. Even though the battery shows 12.97V using the multimeter, could it be that it needs to be replaced?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Also the parking brake is set, the handles are apart, and mower engage knob is pushed in, and I sit on the seat when turning the ignition key.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
To engage the mower deck, with the yellow push/pull knob, that is the PTO. It's an electric engagement device.

Battery could need replaced. 12.97v static, could be way lower when it gets load drawn from it while it is trying to turn the starter over. That's where a load test comes in, to tell if the battery is performing as desired under load. Static testing won't reveal that. I'd take the battery to a local auto store, and have it load tested. It's usually free to have done.

Even 4-5 years from a seasonal use battery is a pretty good run.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you, SGR. Really appreciate your taking the time to talk me through this. I am thinking it is the battery and will take it down tomorrow or Tuesday and have it tested, or maybe just get a new one.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
No problem. And, no guarantees, on the direction I pointed you.
Have that battery tested before you spend good money on a new one. It may not be the problem. A free test will tell you if it is.

·
Old Pa-pa
13,537 Posts
took the battery cables off and the multimeter shows 12.97V.
I had a battery on my truck go open circuit on me, but my DVM showed 12.8V.
When I tried to crank or even turn on the headlights it would go nearly to zero.
Basically the DVM was reading a capacitor type charge voltage at no current capability.
Figure a internal connection between the in series cells opened up in it.

First time I ever had a battery open circuit internally, every other time its'
been a cell or cells getting weaker.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Good to know thank you. I am taking the battery in tomorrow to the John Deere dealer for a load test, assuming they will do it. If it fails, which is what I expect, I will replace with a JD battery, hopefully a Strongbox.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Do as you want. But lately I have not been overly impressed with John Deere batteries. I am a die hard replace with John Deere parts guy but the last time I got a battery for my 2520 it made it about 3-4 months. Could just be the extremely great luck I have also.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Ok, will do. Thanks again.
(y)
Follow up with what ya find out. Always good to be able to read the solutions to the problems. Too many times, topics are left stranded with no info about the resolution.

Reactions: dj2520

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
dj2520, I Googled replacement batteries and many people think highly of the John Deere Exide built Strongbox batteries. Hopefully they honored the warranty for you. I wonder if there is a Lithium Iron Phosphate battery that would fit in a 997.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I found this on Amazon: Eastup 1250750 Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePo4) Automotive Replacement Battery 12V 50AH, Cold Cranking Amps (CCA) 750A, 640Wh 10+ Years Lifetime. …

·
Registered
408 Posts
dj2520, I Googled replacement batteries and many people think highly of the John Deere Exide built Strongbox batteries. Hopefully they honored the warranty for you. I wonder if there is a Lithium Iron Phosphate battery that would fit in a 997.
Yeah they did on the first one but the second one did not make it much more than year. Keep in mind this tractor sits in a 65degree garage in the winter so no real abuse on the battery. I finally went to farm and fleet and just bought one. That was about 3 years ago. Only complaint on that battery is the corrosion on the terminals. Have to clean every few months.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I found this on Amazon: Eastup 1250750 Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePo4) Automotive Replacement Battery 12V 50AH, Cold Cranking Amps (CCA) 750A, 640Wh 10+ Years Lifetime. …
Does it really say 699.95 for a battery!!! Or is my Amazon jacked up?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts