Green Tractor Talk banner

Z997R Deck Lift Bearing Grease Fittings John Deere ZTRAC mower tractor

5K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Wolfgang 
I know your pain. Twenty two years ago I bought a 1999 John Deere 345 with 54" deck. The deck wheels didn't last about one year. Seems like Deere engineers decided that plastic was the thing to insert in the wheel axle housing and they added the grease Zerks for good behavior. Results: Grease and dirt/sand/and other ground items don't mix well. What you get is some good sandpaper. So, the wheels wore out at the axle housing and they wobbled. I ended up buying new wheels and drilling out the plastic inserts and install good old brass fittings. Problem solved.
In your case, can you find you some steel bearing caps to replace the plastic ones? Also, I would bet the John Dealer knows very well what the score is when you come to replace the worn out plastic caps. About $75.00 per cap to replace.
That's a great idea! I replace the wheels on my x748 62C about every 3 years or so . They probably need it after 1 year! I do keep my wheels up pretty high, but the uneven ground, and just the grass touching them as the machine moves still makes the wheels spin.
Do you happen to remember the dimensions and/or source for the bushings?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.