Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going through the mail when I got home yesterday before hitching up the camper and heading out of town. I happened to see a letter from John Deere.

I thought this was odd and when I opened it there was two stickers. One in English and the other in Spanish along with a copy of a page which indicated what they wanted me to put the stickers. There was a letter stating something to the effect that for safety they have made a change to the Operator's Manual. That this change is for some Z9xx Traks I think from model year 2014-2107. As I mentioned I was on the way out the door for the weekend so I only glanced at it. From what I remember the change was something like ensuring the parking brake was set before starting the machine. Hmm, so there isn't a safety that prevents starting without setting the parking brake? I thought there was or maybe it isn't sensitive enough. I guess I am not sure how the parking brake is set on the B/E/M. I know it is a hand brake more like a car has where the R is a foot brake. The R is either on or off. Not really any way of setting it not all the way on. Is the one on the B/E/M like a car where it has different levels maybe?

Anyone else notice the letter in the mail yet?

Reactions: Gizmo2

·
Premium Member
2,758 Posts
On the R you have to have foot brake set to start it. I found it was a PIA to operate it.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
On the R you have to have foot brake set to start it. I found it was a PIA to operate it.
Yeah it is yet another one of those positive and negatives. I have had issues and I haven't. I find that if I am wearing proper footwear it works fine. Maybe it is the way that the JD engineer can make me do things right. :nunu: There are times though that I may have Teva sandles or Crocks on where I just need to move the machine out of the shop to work on something where I tend to fight with it. If I am wearing proper work boots or even shoes that I tie on, I don't seem to have a lot of problems with it. It is partly one of those things that got easier with time. Not sure if it takes a bit to break in the wear surfaces or just developing the muscle memory on how to release it. Probably a bit from both buckets.

I will have to look at what they sent when I get home from camping but it didn't seem specific to the R version. Like I said I didn't read the entire thing as I was trying to get some last minute stuff together and hitch up the camper so we could get to the camp site before dark. That didn't work as we were setting up in the dark anyhow. The envelope had John Deere on it and something about important safety information on the outside of the envelope. I was initially thinking it might be some recall notice and was thinking great, now it has to go back to the dealer and I just had it there for a couple weeks. It was only a couple stickers though for changing the wording on a paragraph in the manual.

Reactions: Gizmo2

·
Registered
226 Posts
'Got my letter - and stickers.

The sticker has two bullet items restated from the manual, the first of which is about the same as what my manual says (the sticker, ironically, has a typo... :banghead: ), the second bullet needs correction and is the impetus for the sticker.

The manual's original text (highlighted in the letter) states driving up and down hills is preferred over traversing, which is the opposite of what should have been stated and was corrected in the sticker.

According to the letter, this is what they are trying to address.

Matt

·
Registered
139 Posts
Yep. I got my letter yesterday. I use the Internet/digital version of the safety manual, so I attached the sticker to my MacBook.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Yep. I got my letter yesterday. I use the Internet/digital version of the safety manual, so I attached the sticker to my MacBook.
:lolol:

·
Registered
440 Posts
When I bought my Z710A the parking brake was a PIA to operate. When I would set the brake, it was impossible to get it to release. Sometimes I spent five minutes to push, cuss, yell out horrible foul words and it still wouldn't release. So, I put a screwdriver in the caddy box and use it to flip the lower part of the brake/release pedal. I gave up on that, and now "never, never" use the brake at all.
I finally made an effort to fix the problem. I remove the who assembly and put a grinder to the flange that holds the brake on and ground it down so it now will release just by me saying..."release dammit"

1 - 8 of 8 Posts