Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some time ago, I bought a bag of zerk caps for my tractor. These keep the zerk clean and dry. I got green ones. It's not a perfect JD green, but it's not bad. If I had to do it over, I think I'd get bright yellow. This would make it easier to find the zerks.

They look like this installed:

2017-10-26 11.37.44.jpg

I've learned that it takes a lot of hand strength to install or remove these caps, and I'm personally moving in the wrong direction on hand strength. The fit is very solid. I can get them on and off by hand, but I'll sure feel it later. So I started looking for a tool to make it easier. I discovered that a 1/2 " socket driver worked well to install them. To remove them, I bent a landscape pin (used for installing edging, Home Depot) using pliers and a vise. I rounded and polished the tip of the tool to prevent gouging. Then I added the Nicholson file handle that I've used for other tools. I also added a vinyl tip that I had laying around. I've seen similar tips for sale at Ace hardware. This is optional; it works fine without this tip.

2017-10-26 11.44.27.jpg

2017-10-26 11.37.10.jpg

2017-10-26 11.44.53.jpg

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Where did you buy the zerk caps?
I found these on Amazon.

They have a lot of choices. In the search field, type "zerk cap" or "grease nipple cap".

I noticed when I went to get the URL that the kind I bought are currently unavailable.

LockNLube.com and Fastenal also carry zerk caps.

Keane

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I have (HAD, can't find it now) a spark plug boot puller that was almost identical to the tool you made.
I have the same tool. Pretty sure I know where mine is at. lol

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,183 Posts
I just use a rag to wipe the Zerks off. I'll need the rag to wipe them off after greasing them so...:dunno:???

·
Premium Member
10,403 Posts
I just use a rag to wipe the Zerks off. I'll need the rag to wipe them off after greasing them so...:dunno:???
Same here. I was just greasing the loader yesterday and removing all the globs of old grease that collects around the pivots before it drops on the garage floor. As I wiped off the zerks before and after I couldn't help thing how much longer the job would have taken if I had those little caps on each zerk.

When you think about how grease goes into the zerk, it's only the very tip around the ball valve that needs to be clean.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts