Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently sold my 3038E. It was more than I needed for 2.5 acres and rarely used. I’m considering purchasing a 1025R to replace my zero turn mower for lawn duty. I’d like to have the bucket to move dirt once in a while and I still have my pallet forks that should fit. Has anyone else done this? I don’t think losing the maneuverability of the zero turn would be terrible. How difficult is the loader to remove from the 1025R? I also have a Craftsman mower with a cyclone rake I would like to replace with some type of bagger/lawn vac for the 1025R. Any suggestions? Consolidating equipment should save some maintenance costs and time. Not to mention the garage space.

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
I have a little over 2.5 acres, the 1025r is perfect.

The loader is easy to take on and off, two or three minutes with practice.

Regarding collecting grass and such, Tractor Tim has a video on a collection system that looks like the bomb. Other than that, I kept my lawn tractor with its bagger. I also use a pine straw rake for dethatching and collecting sticks, raking for seeding prep and so on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a little over 2.5 acres, the 1025r is perfect.

The loader is easy to take on and off, two or three minutes with practice.

Regarding collecting grass and such, Tractor Tim has a video on a collection system that looks like the bomb. Other than that, I kept my lawn tractor with its bagger. I also use a pine straw rake for dethatching and collecting sticks, raking for seeding prep and so on.

Thanks for the info. I could use a rake for stick collection as well. Haven’t decided if a landscape or pine straw rake is the answer. Is the pine straw rake I-match compatible?

·
Registered
566 Posts
I went from a 2305 to a zero turn for mowing and wouldn't go the other way. I went from a 62" deck on the 2305 to a 52" deck on a Country Clipper and it still saved me 2 hours of mowing to go ZTR.

If you want one for the loader, get one. But keep the ZTR mower.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I went from a 2305 to a zero turn for mowing and wouldn't go the other way. I went from a 62" deck on the 2305 to a 52" deck on a Country Clipper and it still saved me 2 hours of mowing to go ZTR.

If you want one for the loader, get one. But keep the ZTR mower.
I second this, I just traded in my 60D on z930m and cut my mowing time in half.

2018 - 1025R
120R, 54SB, iMatch, BB5060L, RB5060L, AP10F
2018 Z930M

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
It is truly your choice to make. Do what will work for you. For myself, I never missed the zero turn. But that is me.

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
I have a 1025r and I didn't buy the MMM. I mow with a zero turn and wouldn't have it any other way. The blade speed on a commercial zero turn is MUCH faster than the MMM and the cut quality is dramatically better. I say get the 1 series for the FEL, which is very easy to remove, especially is you add the 12" hydraulic hose extensions like I did recently so for us who have trouble bending down, I can stand next to the tractor and plug and unplug the hydraulic lines super easy now.......

I have 3 neighbors who have Deere L&G tractors and they each pay me to mow with my zero turn as the end result is better and what takes me 45 minutes to cut and cross cut, takes the owner with the x5xx 3 hours to mow. He has a lot of obstacles to mow around and the zero turn excels at mowing around things.

I say get the 1 series to handle all of the tractor related tasks and keep the zero turn. Don't buy a MMM, which is roughly $3,000 with the auto connect deck. Plus, with the dedicated mower, you won't need to take your FEL off as often.

For me, the 1025r with a bunch of attachments and the commercial zero turn mower are the perfect combination of high quality cut and effeciency. Yes, it's two machines to store and maintain, but the zero turn is MUCH EASIER on the turf than the R4's on the 1025r.......

I can't say I have seen many go from zero turn to 1025r for mowing. The drive over decks cut quality is OK and depending upon your lawn, you might not like the cut result. The better the lawn, the more important the cut quality in my opinion.

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
I agree with Plug Ugly, GreenMulcher & SullyBear. I have a 2005 GrassHopper 725 with 61" deck with lift and a 2008 JD 2305 with 62" MMM. I wish I hadn't bought the 2305 with the MMM, never use it. When I bought the 2305, I was in the same position you are. After mowing with the 2305 I instantly changed my mind about selling the GH. Mowing time for 5 acres with GH is at least half of the 2305 and cut quality/appearance is dramatically better.

·
Premium Member
7,027 Posts
I recently sold my 3038E. It was more than I needed for 2.5 acres and rarely used. I’m considering purchasing a 1025R to replace my zero turn mower for lawn duty. I’d like to have the bucket to move dirt once in a while and I still have my pallet forks that should fit. Has anyone else done this? I don’t think losing the maneuverability of the zero turn would be terrible. How difficult is the loader to remove from the 1025R? I also have a Craftsman mower with a cyclone rake I would like to replace with some type of bagger/lawn vac for the 1025R. Any suggestions? Consolidating equipment should save some maintenance costs and time. Not to mention the garage space.
Mowing grass aside, how much other stuff do you see using the tractor for? You said the 3038E was rarely used. Is that because of its size or just because there wasn't much tractor stuff to do?

Too bad they don't make FEL's for zero turns. :lol:

If I am reading this correctly you want to go back to one machine and you can certainly do that with a 1025R. Remember, you'll need a parking spot for the loader or mower when they are off the tractor. You'll also acquire other implements as well....:hide: Where I am going with this is - unless you leave the implements outside - you might have LESS garage space.

Everyone else has listed all the reasons to keep the Z. If none of those bother you, go for it.

I like my Z. Not because I can cut the grass faster or because it cuts my weeds better than a MMM either. I like it because it is FUN.

Seat time is good. :kidw_truck_smiley:

Pick the seat you like best.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
I have a 1025r and I didn't buy the MMM. I mow with a zero turn and wouldn't have it any other way. The blade speed on a commercial zero turn is MUCH faster than the MMM and the cut quality is dramatically better. I say get the 1 series for the FEL, which is very easy to remove, especially is you add the 12" hydraulic hose extensions like I did recently so for us who have trouble bending down, I can stand next to the tractor and plug and unplug the hydraulic lines super easy now.......
This is my way of thinking as well. For what JD wants for a MMM you can get a used commercial Zero Turn. A coworker discovered this when he bought his 2520 a few years ago. He had a buddy that does landscaping and bought one of his Exmark mowers that was getting traded in. He told him which one was the most reliable to buy and I think he got it for about $3k. Sure another motor and such to maintain but it keeps the two jobs separate. Even if easy to attach or remove a FEL, it gets in the way mowing and raises the CG which is bad if you have hills. I find I use my FEL a lot more now that it stays on my X585 all summer. It may only take 10 min to put on and 5 to take off but that is 15 min I could be doing something else and I found if I had something heavy to move many times I would just move by hand and save 15 min. Granted the FEL goes on/off quicker with the 1025R than the X585.

I would say the ZTrak cut or mowing time in half. Granted it is a bigger deck (60 vs 54) so that is part of it but the other part is going around the trees. Now it is one pass around a tree. With the X585 the turning radius is too wide so it is two passes around every tree. If you have more open space then trees, then the time savings probably isn't as great going from a Zero Turn to a tractor. There will be some time savings but mainly at the turn around at the end of a run.

For me my X585 is getting up there in hours and I had a few issues I needed to address. I was looking at replacing it and considered a new X7xx which is a comparable machine. But the more I looked at it, I could get a new machine but not gain much. I opted to take advantage of the 0% financing on a Z950R. Once that is paid off, then I will look at probably a 3025E. I was considering a 2025R but for the same money I can get a 3 series with full CAT1 3pt vs limited, more lifting power on the FEL and a separate pump for steering. Without the need of a mid PTO for mowing, I can get the cheaper E series. The only thing I really lose out on is front snow blower which is nice, but even with my X585 I don't use it enough to justify what they want for the front blower on a 2025R. Once I got the new mower I took the X585 down for a month and went through it addressing all the small issues that had been cropping up over the years and it is running great now. Normally it doesn't see a lot of hours a year now but this year has been the exception. We got quite a bit of snow this year and I have been moving a lot of dirt and trees that I have been cutting down with the construction project.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I went from a zero turn to a 1026r 7 years ago. I did it for the same reasons you are thinking, less maintenance, recovering storage space. The 7 iron deck cut quality is the same as the 7 iron cut quality on a zero turn. Tho only difference is the maximum deck height on the scut is about 4 inches, while the zturn can be raised to 5+ inches. I do agree that the 2305 does not mow as nice as the 1 series, as I know 3 people that have a 2305.

I mow approximately 2 acres, and my mowing time increased by about 20 minutes. For me the trade off in time was a non issue, and I was able to consolidate all of my maintenance equipment,(zturn, 4 wheeler with a snow blade for light snows, Old Wheel Horse with a blower for heavy snows, and a walk behind snow blower) into one piece of equipment that will do anything.

The turning radius of the scut vs the zturn is another non issue for me.

I mow with the deck all the way up, and I wish I could get it up another inch or so, but I am happy with the quality of cut. Gator blades also improve the cut over the stock JD blades.

The The drive over deck, and the quick attach loader only take a minute or so to attach and detach. Quite effortless.

Best of luck with your decision. Hope my opinion helps.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'm in the "keep the ZTR" camp as well. I have an Exmark ZTR for mowing. When I bought my 1025r, I considered getting the deck for backup, but the 3k didn't seem worth it. I can find a good used ZTR for that 3 if mine dies. I much prefer to mow with the ZTR. I have about 2.5 acres of grass.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
101 Posts
What gigaqwatt said. When I was shopping for a used SCUT, I thought getting one with a MMM would be a plus up in value down the road. Finally found a 4 year old 1026R and bought it. While shopping it seemed on the used side, one with the deck cost about the same as one without a deck. So now the mower deck sits in the pole barn and will never be used by me.

Tried out the MMM and when I got close to the pond it was scary sitting way up there in the ozone layer. You did not mention terrain. My antique Toro Z (99 model) cannot be beat on side slopes. I think it maybe would slide off the side hill before tipping. Just a thought folks, I ain't gonna find out. :flag_of_truce:

Terrain aside, I will never cnsider mowing lawn with the 1026. My Z is made for that stuff.

On the other hand, I had a neighbor that had a (i think it was 6 foot) deck on his little JD. he seemed to do well since his yard was a big flat field with just a few trees.

On second thought I plan on using it this summer. I am gonna mount it up and get it outside for a good clean up and this time when I put it back to bed, it is gonna be covered up so it stays nice and shiny. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
178 Posts
I am going to be a little different here. I had a JD zero turn and when It was time to get a new machine I went with the 1023e with the loader and 60inch cutting deck, and I am pretty happy. There is no question the zero turn was a better cut and was faster but it was just so limited in what it could do besides mowing. Two machines would have been nice but I was not in the situation for two machines. I think for 2.5 acres I would go with the subcompact especially if you have other tasks you would like to accomplish as the mower deck removal is super fast and easy and the loaded install and removal is pretty quick too. In an ideal world I would have both machines but it sounds like in your situation you are leaning towards trading in your zero turn. I think if you are willing to sacrifice a little speed and cut quality you wont be disappointed.

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
Thanks for the info. I could use a rake for stick collection as well. Haven’t decided if a landscape or pine straw rake is the answer. Is the pine straw rake I-match compatible?
I have the everything attachments version which is not compatible. However, there is a reason for that having to do with the arc that it swings when lifted. It has a higher top pin location to facilitate it getting out of the way of the straw it collects. UPDATE: I just checked and it says it is compatible as of 8/8/2018. I must have missed the cut-off because I bought mine around that time.

I use Pat’s hooks rather than I-Match.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Keep the zero.

·
Registered
528 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
I thought of buying a ZT and the 1025r but decided to go with one machine so i would have more garage space. I do wish the 60D deck could go higher as a 4” cut is a little lower than i would like.

On the plus side, its super easy to take on/off the deck and/or FEL, plus with the FEL you can use Kens Hooks and a chain to easily lift up the mower deck to change blades.

One bonus is the 1025w/60D can be used to cut a field where a ZT would just not be able to - i’ve helped my neighbor out cutting @2-3 acres of uneven and well sloped field with 8 foot tall johnson grass - the 1025r never quit!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts