Registered
2,478 Posts

·
Old Pa-pa
11,147 Posts

·
Registered
3,702 Posts
I just got an email from my dealer about these a little earlier today.

Dave

·
Administrator
20,119 Posts
Although it's a great start, I'll tell you why I wouldn't buy them. They would alter your deck to ground height at every bump. You have an excellent cut now, but after these, how much more scalping and un-eveness in cut would you have? What do they do for the wheels you're practically sitting over, the rear? Nothing. Maybe the quality of cut wouldn't suffer that bad, but I can't see a major improvement in ride with these.

·
Old Pa-pa
11,147 Posts
Although it's a great start, I'll tell you why I wouldn't buy them. They would alter your deck to ground height at every bump. You have an excellent cut now, but after these, how much more scalping and un-eveness in cut would you have? What do they do for the wheels you're practically sitting over, the rear? Nothing. Maybe the quality of cut wouldn't suffer that bad, but I can't see a major improvement in ride with these.
I look at it like this, without them and you hit a dip, you're going to have deck bounce with the frame bounce, with them you smooth
out the frame bounce, maybe you also smooth out deck bounce. :unknown:

Agree with you that the *big* back jarring bounce comes from the rear tires however.

·
Administrator
20,119 Posts
I look at it like this, without them and you hit a dip, you're going to have deck bounce with the frame bounce, with them you smooth
out the frame bounce, maybe you also smooth out deck bounce. :unknown:

Agree with you that the *big* back jarring bounce comes from the rear tires however.
This is where the issue is. If you hit and cause the deck to bounce on the front wheels, how is this eliminated in the rear wheels? If you hit hard enough to cause the deck to bounce on the front wheels, you're certain to hit even harder and bounce even more on the rear.

My property is like mowing a horse pasture. If I though it would actually help and not sacrifice cut quality, I'd have them in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
20,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree with your assessment Jason - 90% or more of what you feel in the seat comes from the rear tires.

But then I think of what Ferris did with suspension and all the rave reviews.

My mowed area is rough also - I could not mow full stick with my 757. In fact with my 20 or so customer lawns it was the same. There are no manicured professionally installed laws anywhere around here.

So I am thinking now a $400 investement would be better put toward a good suspension seat - and keeping the rear tire pressure low.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts