Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone still use zip drives?
I cleaned out cabinets & came across some old Zip Drives and backup disks of old files. I have internal Zip drives & and external Zip USB drives. I used them for years for backups, but I had to quit using them years ago when I switched to Windows 7 because they were not compatible. Yesterday I decided to give them a try before disposing of them. I was surprised to find that the Zip drives now work with windows 7.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
We use 100mb Zip drives to update the database in the Kingair at work.

Nothing but the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Read Only
1,932 Posts
Haven't used a Zip drive in years. Probably still have a couple of them somewhere. I used to use them for backups as well until what I was backing up got bigger than the Zip drive would hold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Hiya,

I've got a bunch of them and a few SparQ disks too, remember the SparQ drive? It put Syquest out of business in about 7 months with it's almost 200% failure rate. (Every one they replaced went bad again)

SyQuest SparQ (1997 – 1998) | Museum Of Obsolete Media

I think I can dig up some 8" floppy's and some 80 column punch cards too....

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
We used Zip drives until we upgraded to something else. Seems like it was 1 gig, but I do not remember the name. That was a long time ago. I don't even remember what I had for breakfast today, let alone what happened back in the day of zip drives. I still have a few floppy disks, but don't ask what is on them. I have no idea and nothing to put them in.

Dave

·
Super Moderator
5,534 Posts
Holy cow, I haven't heard those two words said together for quite a few years. I had one given to me, but never really bothered with it. Everything for me was floppy disk, finally moved up to CD, then DVD. I have so many HDD's, and SSD's I rarely have the need for removable media. When I do want something put on a disk, it's Blu ray.:)

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies. I had not thought about the ZIP drives for years ether until this weekend when I was cleaning in the office. I also found some backup disks that had some plans & files that I thought were gone. I was able to get them copied to my network drives & backed up to the cloud.

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
I too used to use the zip drives, that is UNTIL they had a problem called "the click of death." Not only was the disk toast, the blood-pressure and heart rate spiked, or sank...

They had their place, but glad they're gone...

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
WOW!! A whole 100MB!!! LOL!!

OK, I'm old enough to remember when that was a ton of storage. I went one better and got the 1GB "Jazz" drives from the same company (IOmega). I have probably 20 of them in the garage. I need to hit each of them with the sledge and put them in the trash.

I'm actually old enough to remember 8" floppies. And, my first programming class was Fortran using punch cards.

I hope you have someone that wants those Zip Drives. I always hate throwing something out that's got some life left in it. I'd give someone the Jazz drives that I have, but there's client data on it that I can't give out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts