Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the 21st last month I had my Z970R delivered. Bought used a 2015 with 215 hours and a real good buy. On that Sunday I climbed on it to mow my yard. Got on it and the first thing I noticed I had to adjust the control arms all the way forward. Got that done got back on it went to put seat belt on and it did not fit. Ok started it up and headed into the yard. I had watched several videos on mowing with a ztr so I thought I was ready. I stopped and brought it up to half idle and lowered the deck and engaged to pto. Brought it up to full idle and took off slowly. Got near end of first row pulled back on control arms and hit my stomach still moving forward. In order to get into reverse I found I had to adjust the seat back into almost reclining and spread the control arm somewhat. This was no t comfortable but it did a great job mowing and it was a lot faster. On Monday I called the dealer parts to order a seat belt extension, they never heard of one and they called Deere and they don't offer one. My one from ford don't quite work. So the following Friday one week after it was delivered it went back to the dealer. My dealer is a first class outfit and offered me a full refund. You can't beat that!! Sorry to see it go my son loved it but it had to be. Of course when I was there the 2038R bug bit me but that's another thread.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
That drives me nuts

Attachments

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
As for the seat belt, I see you had the ROPS folded in your photo. The reason there isn't a safety which requires the seatbelt for operation is because you are not supposed to wear it if the ROPS is folded. It is recommended if you have it locked in the up position. The thought is that if you rolled the machine, which would be pretty hard with the low CG, that if the ROPS was folded you would have a better chance to bail or be thrown clear. If the ROPS is up then your best bet is to ride it out.

Can't help with the control sticks. There is some adjustment to them but mainly up. There is also a calibration bolt adjustment but I think that is just on one side. That is intended to make an adjustment so when both control sticks are pressed forward the same amount, you track in a relatively straight line. So the one that adjusts is tweaked forward or back to get them synced up. One of those things you probably do once and never again. I know I messed with it my first time out and that was it. There is two positions, low and high that the sticks can be mounted in but I don't know if that would have helped and depending on your height, it might make matters worse as it could be like mowing with ape hangers if you were short. I am 6'4" so I have them mounted in the high position.

The problem with the R version is with the PTO and deck lift buttons in the control sticks, it makes it harder to modify them. You could do without the PTO button as all that does is cut it off but the machine wouldn't be very useful without the deck lift. The B/E and M versions use a foot operated deck lift and have no PTO kill switch.

·
Registered
12,646 Posts
Drifterbike--i feel ur pain. when i was helping my cousin mow this spring, i had the same problem. could go like heck forward, but when it came to backing up, them darn sticks hit my belly.

the other problem i had the first couple times, was getting on and off. after a few times, it got easier, but i still love my X-475 way better.............than her sit and spin for a yard mower. and i think it the sit and spin rode way...........worse than my mower. just my 2 cts.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts