Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3046R with 385a, 320R.
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone on here use a Cyclone Rake on the ZTR? I sold my 2320 to and now have a 530R for mowing. With fall around the corner, I am asking if anyone has used a cyclone rake. I do have to drill new holes to attach the boot and figure out how to attach the mounting plate to the machine. Not a big issue. the machine has a pin plate for up to 300lb pulling.
I understand my usage on sloped front yard will be off limits but would like to at least get the back yard which is flat. open to all suggestions.

·
Premium Member
Early 2017 Vintage 1025R TLB (260/H120)
1,984 Posts
I'd look in to a boot designed for the deck. White this is for a 1025R/60D I bought a SuperiorTek TKV boot. Fit I'd great and it has only plugged on me once. A quick phone call to them might save you the drilling and get a boot designed for the deck.

·
Registered
3046R with 385a, 320R.
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd look in to a boot designed for the deck. White this is for a 1025R/60D I bought a SuperiorTek TKV boot. Fit I'd great and it has only plugged on me once. A quick phone call to them might save you the drilling and get a boot designed for the deck.
Thanks @MattL
I am not too concerned with a perfect fit as it is just for leaves. The boot actual is for a JD lawn tractor I modified for my 62D deck (2nd hand from my BIL), luckily the mounting holes were the same.
my concern was more on any potential strain on the hydros pulling the bin around.

·
Premium Member
Early 2017 Vintage 1025R TLB (260/H120)
1,984 Posts
@Jester_2320. - Yea, can't help you with load on the transmissions - I've got about 4hours total time on a ZT (they complicate cigar smoking) and know even less about their strengths/limitations. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
12,775 Posts
If the ZTR is commercial grade, I wouldn't be concerned. If its not, I would be.

One thing to check would be to see if the ZTR has a bagger kit available from Deere. If they will sell a bagger kit for the mower from the OEM, then the hydro's could likely handle the extra weight and strain. On the other hand, if it doesn't, I would proceed cautiously as I was at my buddy's shop yesterday who I buy my ExMark from and he showed me repairing the hydro's on one machine, the bill was nearly $5,500 and only $600 of that was labor, the hydro parts prices have gone through the roof.

Plus, the time to get them is crazy slow. He has one machine which has been down now 10 weeks waiting for hydro parts..........Even though the machine brands are different, many use the same engines and hydro's, so be careful about possibly damaging yours.........

When you add a bagger to the Zero turns, it requires adding front ballast, plus the weight of the material collection system itself. If the machine can handle the weight from the factory, then I wouldn't be as concerned about using the cyclone rake behind it. I happened to read the Operators Manual for the MCS for my ExMark on Sunday and the MCS system and counter weights and deck blower weigh a combined 460 pounds when installed. I thought that sounded crazy, until I put the MCS system on it myself..............

Reactions: MattL

·
Premium Member
12,775 Posts
Looks like Deere offers a MC System for the z530r, for $1,728, which they describe as a two bagger system. I didn't see anything about counter weights or other ballast and they refer to it as a 48" system, even though I indicated the 60" high flow deck. So, I guess I would proceed cautiously and if the Z530r is new, I would definitely change the hydro oil at 50 hours and then every 150 hours or so, or more often if using the weight of an additional implement behind the machine.

If it is new, just be careful adding the cyclone rake doesn't invalidate your warranty coverage, as it may be much more than the machine was intended to carry or move. The rake can get very heavy when full of clippings and leaves.

·
Registered
3046R with 385a, 320R.
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Indeed it can get heavy. Anything beats raking or the back pack blower come October.
I’ll try it out and if need be, empty it every few passes. If all else fails, I can make piles and suck them up as well pulling with the 46R. Not a good as mulching but it’s something.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have a brand new Z530r with the JD MCS system. I can confirm that there is a weight kit/bracket for ballast. The weights that are part of the JD package are two 42 lb weights. The JD 2 bag system is 6.6 bushels so not huge. My Zturn has the 54" high capacity deck and no problems with weight or unusual lag with the MCS. That said, I only have 6 hours on the machine - I bought it for leaf duty this fall. So, more info / experience to come.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I previously ran my Cyclone rack behind a Dixie Chopper ZTR. The weight never seemed to cause any issues for forward motion on the DC. The "pin weight" on the Cyclone Rake is not bad as the design puts most of the weight on the wheels of the rake. The issue I had, when the load got heavy, was the "tail wagging the dog". This was especially bad when I used it a few times to collect grass! When the bag started getting full and I did a "zero turn" I had to adjust so that I did not end up turning 270 degrees! Overall, I would say it was not a super friendly set-up. I chose to just mow more often and keep the leaves managed rather than try to clean them up rake.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have a Z540M and just replace the right transaxle at 90 hours. It's working great now. The transaxle on this one is not serviceable and only has a small reservoir which must be kept to the full level line.
Proceed with caution.
When it comes to mowing lawn clippings and leaves: I raise the deck up and just start cutting it all up.
I cut the leaves up by blowing them to the middle and just mow around in a circle until they are gone.
Grass clippings pretty much the same way, but I spread them out until they are gone. No raking any more.
I have a yard full of Maple trees so plenty of leaves. I can have them all cut up in a couple hours.
Way faster than raking and hauling.

·
Registered
3046R with 385a, 320R.
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have a Z540M and just replace the right transaxle at 90 hours. It's working great now. The transaxle on this one is not serviceable and only has a small reservoir which must be kept to the full level line.
Proceed with caution.
When it comes to mowing lawn clippings and leaves: I raise the deck up and just start cutting it all up.
I cut the leaves up by blowing them to the middle and just mow around in a circle until they are gone.
Grass clippings pretty much the same way, but I spread them out until they are gone. No raking any more.
I have a yard full of Maple trees so plenty of leaves. I can have them all cut up in a couple hours.
Way faster than raking and hauling.
I do applaud the effort is mulching everything but I also make compost and leaves are a big component yearly.
I usually had to collect the first month of mowing due to thick grass and windrows but with the ZTR this year I haven’t had as much of an issue.
always with caution

1 - 11 of 11 Posts