Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening folks.

My wife and I are looking to purchase a ZTR, with so many options, it's hard to focus our target.

5 acre property, grass/weeds on Sandy loam. No hills, slight embankment and ditch line. Some areas can be soft and wet during spring/fall and we avoid. Lots of perimeter trees but mostly wide open, garden/ducks/chickens fencing.

We currently mow with an '06 Cub Cadet LT1045 46" cut and it takes around 5.5 hours.

I do not have a brand loyalty at this point, grew up with Farmalls, lived in JD country and now I'm living in Orange country.

I live 5 miles from a very large Kubota/New Holland dealer, 10 miles from a Ferris/Shindaiwa dealer service center and 67 miles from the nearest Deere dealer. Not to say that we have no budget, but I would like to make a sound decision and only purchase once.

Any and all opinions with reasoning welcome.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
I have only limited ztr experience gained from repairing the Scag we have at work. It is a solid machine and used to be a very popular choice of commercial dudes here in northern Ohio.
But, I'll tell you what, at least 80% of what I see out there now is Exmark. I don't know how they stack up to Ferris whom are known to be a quality unit but their popularity must mean there is something about them.
My local Stihl dealer sells Exmark and I am stunned at the price of the commercial lawn equipment now.

·
Premium Member
10,068 Posts
I don't have any personal experience beyond my own mower which was made by a company that isn't around anymore. :laugh:

I've heard lots of good things about Ferris mowers, their suspension system is supposed to be top of the line.

·
Registered
23,575 Posts
You don't mention your fuel preference. Since I always have diesel fuel available without having to haul it, I lean toward diesel with everything. With that said if I were to buy a new zero turn right now it would be a kubota 60" diesel.

My nearest Deere dealer is a 5 hour round trip. Kubota is 2:45. That alone makes a huge difference for me - to have an accessible dealer.

I've heard good things about Ferris - we used to have a regular (NEWT) here who had a mowing business and was really up on a lot of the zero turns. What is appealing to me with Ferris is their model with suspension. Almost all these zero turns ride rough unless you have a manicured lawn.

I had a Deere commercial 757 that was bullet proof. But now with the lack of a dealer I won't take the chance unless buying used.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
I forgot about Kubota! I work next to a self storage place that was put up by a family that already had a condo community. They have had a Kubota diesel mower that they cut all there holdings with, significant lawn areas, I think it must be at least 20 years old and still looks and sounds great.

Reactions: coaltrain

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't have any personal experience beyond my own mower which was made by a company that isn't around anymore. :laugh:

I've heard lots of good things about Ferris mowers, their suspension system is supposed to be top of the line.
Yazoo?

No fuel preference.

I see a lot of lawn companies using exmark and bad boy? Big boy?

·
Registered
139 Posts
I see a lot of lawn companies using Deere and Ferris, and lots of cities using Deere. If you get a commercial Deere, upgrade the seat. I have a Z920M and love it, but the Z925M is EFI, and sips fuel compared to the 920. All I can say is that the Deere commercial mowers really handle well, and have the best decks in the business. They handle hills well too. Ferris are suppose to be awesome too. I'd go with the best/nearest dealer.

Reactions: dieselshadow

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I bought a Kubota ZD25 pro when we built our house over 10 years ago and I can honestly say that it has been a great mower. I have kept it serviced and other than changing the blades and a belt it has never let me down. It still has the tires that came on it when I bought it new.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I'm a Deere guy through and through but I think the kubota diesel mowers are pretty slick. There's a good chance that's the direction I'd go if I was shopping.

Brett

·
Registered
3,228 Posts

Simplicity also sells mowers with suspension. Never actually drove any to see how good they are.

When shopping for a tractor to replace my L108. I had it narrowed down to a Simplicity Prestige or a JD X540. They both had power steering, power deck lift and diff lockers. I was not to crazy about the mesh seat on the Simplicity. Although probably cooler in the summer. I could see me poking a hole in it easier than a regular seat. On the old style seats the foam and vinyl cover seemed to come off the base. Some used ones I looked at were like this.
However the suspension is one of the features that I liked from Simplicity.
Ultimately it came down to financing. JD credit had way better rates. Plus it's a green and yellow Deere.
Another thing was the Simplicity dealer would have had to order the tractor. Not to crazy about spending that much money sight unseen. Plus I need a mower today. Seeing the grass was already 8" high.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I just bought a new 970 R John

I just bought a brand new JD 970 R , if its gets any better than one of these I would like to see it... The JD zero turns are hard to beat. My last new mower was a JD M665 zero turn that now has over 1000 hours on the meter and is still going strong and has had zero issues in its 17 years of hard mowing..this speaks volumes for the commercial grade JD zero turns IMHO...

Attachments

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
I just bought a brand new JD 970 R , if its gets any better than one of these I would like to see it... The JD zero turns are hard to beat. My last new mower was a JD M665 zero turn that now has over 1000 hours on the meter and is still going strong and has had zero issues in its 17 years of hard mowing..this speaks volumes for the commercial grade JD zero turns IMHO...
Man! I'll have to take a better look at these next time I'm at a Deere dealership. I know most of the pro ztr's are built like tanks to start with but that was a bold recommendation. I have noticed on some ztr's the hydraulic reservoirs are really low capacity. What are the Deeres like?

Reactions: Old Cajun

·
Old Pa-pa
12,148 Posts
Man! I'll have to take a better look at these next time I'm at a Deere dealership. I know most of the pro ztr's are built like tanks to start with but that was a bold recommendation. I have noticed on some ztr's the hydraulic reservoirs are really low capacity. What are the Deeres like?
For the 997 Z Trak , 6 gallons with a big a$$ oil cooler in front the radiator.
Oil cooler swings out (hinged) for easy cleaning it and the radiator.

·
Registered
23,575 Posts
For the 997 Z Trak , 6 gallons with a big a$$ oil cooler in front the radiator.
Oil cooler swings out (hinged) for easy cleaning it and the radiator.
That is one thing I found strange with my 757 - no cooler. But it did have a large capaicty tank. Just guessing - but I guess they figured the oil would cool enough coming back to a large tank.

Reactions: Old Cajun

·
Old Pa-pa
12,148 Posts
That is one thing I found strange with my 757 - no cooler. But it did have a large capaicty tank. Just guessing - but I guess they figured the oil would cool enough coming back to a large tank.
One very minor complaint about the 997, they put the dang soft drink holder in a recess of the hydraulic tank on the
right of the drivers seat.

I wonder what little rocket scientist twerp in design thought that was a good idea? :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Guaranteed to get your drink to 100* in about 30 minutes! :nunu: :nunu:

:lol:

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
I'd recommend the Kubota, especially if going diesel. I bought my ZD326H (Diesel / 72" deck) for $12,500 new. Not other manufacturer is close to that price for a diesel ZTR and the thing is a tank. I cut my dad's 8 acres and my 5 acres. Uses about .7 gallons per hour of fuel. No complaints

·
Old Pa-pa
12,148 Posts
I'd recommend the Kubota, especially if going diesel. I bought my ZD326H (Diesel / 72" deck) for $12,500 new. Not other manufacturer is close to that price for a diesel ZTR and the thing is a tank. I cut my dad's 8 acres and my 5 acres. Uses about .7 gallons per hour of fuel. No complaints
That's the 26 HP diesel I think.
When I priced the Kubota 31 HP diesel Vs the Deere 31 HP diesel, the Kubota was nearly 2 grand cheaper, but
only came with a 1 year warranty, if you got the add on extra 2 year warranty, there was less than 2 hundred difference.

Deere prices include the 3 year warranty in the price.

That was 3 years ago.

Nearness of the Deere dealer is what swung me to Deere (2 miles Vs 30 miles), plus I thought the 7 Iron deck was a little better.

My buddy, who convinced me to buy a ZT, has the 31 HP Kubota, has no complaints about it, it's about 4 years old.

·
Premium Member
2,850 Posts
Looked at the Kubota zd1211 with a 6o rear discharge deck. Diesel for 14,500$. I am still shopping.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
That's the 26 HP diesel I think.
When I priced the Kubota 31 HP diesel Vs the Deere 31 HP diesel, the Kubota was nearly 2 grand cheaper, but
only came with a 1 year warranty, if you got the add on extra 2 year warranty, there was less than 2 hundred difference.

Deere prices include the 3 year warranty in the price.

That was 3 years ago.

Nearness of the Deere dealer is what swung me to Deere (2 miles Vs 30 miles), plus I thought the 7 Iron deck was a little better.

My buddy, who convinced me to buy a ZT, has the 31 HP Kubota, has no complaints about it, it's about 4 years old.
Yes 26hp....every dealer around here wanted $22k for the Deere, near full on MSRP. I just couldn't do it. If it had been with $2k it would have been the Deere.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts