Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Administrator
17,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
AmericInn workers save man trapped under riding lawn mower

A man is alive today after good Samaritans came to his rescue.
A lawn care worker was mowing the lawn on a West side Madison hill when the mower slipped. Skid marks show the mower slid about 10 feet down a hill and then fell 5 feet off a ledge onto the AmericInn Lodge and Suites property.
Patrick Sias, the General Manager at the AmericInn on Grand Canyon Dr. in Madison said the incident happened around 11 a.m. on Monday.
A worker cleaning the courtyard found the lawn care worker unconscious and trapped underneath his riding mower. They said he was barely breathing and had turned purple.
Sias said immediately all employees were radioed to come for help and he, along with three other AmericInn employees carried the mower off the man, saving his life.
Sias said was able to cradle his head to help him breath while they waited for help to arrive. He said by the time the ambulance took off for the hospital, the man was able to speak and tell emergency crews what his name was.
"Seeing someone in peril like that is, it really gets your adrenaline going and you want to do everything you can to help them and I just pray he's O.K.," Sias said.
According to an investigating officer, the man suffered broken ribs and a fractured sternum.
OSHA is investigating the incident. The man was doing lawn work for Boley Tree and Landscape Care at the time of the incident. Another employee said the injured man has been working for the company for at least a year. OSHA representatives tell NBC 15 the investigation will reveal if any safety standards were violated when the incident happened.

·
Administrator
20,366 Posts
No one ever deserves this. Ever. Damn.....

·
Registered
11,415 Posts
Should have had the ROPS up and the seat belt on. Seems like the operator still may have been hurt but not nearly as bad. OSHA will be tough on the employer.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Two neighbors have rolled zero turns,,, they both were OK,,, and mow with GT's now,,,, :flag_of_truce:
go GT's!!

my first question is, why did he not jump off? second question is, did he have a seat belt on?

·
Registered
11,415 Posts
go GT's!!

my first question is, why did he not jump off? second question is, did he have a seat belt on?
With a five foot drop he probably didn't have time to jump. It doesn't take long for something that heavy to free fall five feet. With the ROPS down, probably seat belt not latched. I don't know about ZTR but my 2320 OM states not to use seat belt unless ROPS is in the up position.

I assume (I know) that as long as the ROPS is down in the picture that it was down in the accident.

·
Registered
11,415 Posts
Glad he's OK, but with OSHA involved the business will
lucky to survive. No matter what, they'll find some sort of
violations.
You are right. Total responsibility will be to the employer.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
You are right. Total responsibility will be to the employer.
Except that they will fine the operator as well, OSHA holds the individual and the employer responsible typically.

·
Registered
11,415 Posts
Except that they will fine the operator as well, OSHA holds the individual and the employer responsible typically.
Could be, but I doubt that the operator will be cited. With MSHA and OSHA the employer takes the hit, regardless if the employee does something stupid. The only infraction that MSHA will cite an employee for is smoking in a non smoking area.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts