Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to pass along a bit of information for other owners of this or similarly sized ZTR's. I recently decided to try adding water ballast to the rear tires of my Z255 and boy was it one of the best ideas I've had in a long time. I no longer get stuck in the slightest bit of mud, mowing on an incline feels tremendously more stable, tight turns no longer leave skid marks on the inside tire, and the ride is significantly better. I picked up the water adapter at Tractor Supply for $9.99, but they are available at your major online retailers as well.

If you store your ZTR in an area where the water might freeze you can add some antifreeze to the water or just fill them with windshield washer fluid entirely. If you decide you need one of these options, you can use a drill pump to push the liquid into the tire.

Air/Water Adapter Kit | Slime

Attachments

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
44,817 Posts
Thanks bigbull15.
I've toyed with the idea of filling the ZTR tires since 2002 and always wondered what the results would be.

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
If you store your ZTR in an area where the water might freeze you can add some antifreeze to the water or just fill them with windshield washer fluid entirely. If you decide you need one of these options, you can use a drill pump to push the liquid into the tire.
If you don't want to mess with getting a pump you can pull the wheel, break the bead, lay the wheel down and pour some fluid in. This is how I put fluid in the rear tires on my x585. The advantage of the adapter is that you don't have to remove the wheel. The advantage of breaking the bead is you don't need any special equipment to do it. Also if you are going with washer fluid. Get it this time of year or in the spring when it goes on clearance so that you get the stuff that is rated for -20. The regular summer stuff will freeze up in the winter. I think I put 12 gallons in each tire on the x585 but I may have too much in there as the ride isn't that great. I think the tires are bigger than that on many of the ZTRs as well.

Reactions: Gizmo2
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.