Green Tractor Talk banner

Deere announces new 260B Backhoe for 1-Series Tractors

36K views 69 replies 32 participants last post by  blue87fj60 
#1 · (Edited)
We had already heard about the new 120R loader. Today, Deere is announcing a new Backhoe for the 1-series.

Here is what we know so far: 260B Backhoe

Not much so far, but it is a start. ...and looks like some nice improvements!

Tim

#2 ·
Cool heads up Tim. I like the latching stabilizers and it is high time they added a cushion to the boom cylinder but I think I prefer my swivel seat to a dedicated one on such a tiny tractor. By the way I just watched your waste pipe excavation on the youtubes, great job! I was worried about the 12 inch bucket when I got my tractor but it digs great in my hard soil.

#3 ·
The cushioned boom cylinder will certainly make me look like less of an idiot backhoe operator. Even with some experience now, I occasionally bang the boom against the stop.

I'm not sure how the additional seat will fit. Will the backhoe be further from the tractor?

#4 ·
From the ad copy it sure sounds like JD has been listening to 1 series TLB owners. For me latching stabilizer arms and boom pins operable from the seat are "frills" as I don't mind hooking up my little stabilizer chain or putting in the boom pins, but handy none the less. Home run on the "Anti Boom Whacking" hydraulic damping on the boom control, though I have it pretty well under control (after the first whack after a time of non-operating).:laugh:

Now even pretty ladies will be right at home on the dedicated backhoe seat and they should show up in the JD ad videos real soon!:laugh::good2:

#20 ·
Home run on the "Anti Boom Whacking" hydraulic damping on the boom control, though I have it pretty well under control (after the first whack after a time of non-operating).:laugh:
I am wondering if the new cylinder could be retrofitted to an existing 260? I really like that idea.
Not very keen on 2 seats especially since it appears one or the other has to be tipped. I like being able turn the steering wheel if needed when trenching with BH. My guess is they're having far more warranty work on the swivel seat than what they'd like.
I know a lot of SCUTs have that bent forward look on the ROPS but I don't care for it.

#13 ·
Has a lot of nice new features it looks like.
Only negative i saw was that it said "tire chains not compatible with new rear subframe" :nunu:
Tire chains wouldn't work with my sub-frame on the existing 1-series/260BH. When on a slope (sideways), the lugs on my tires rub on the subframe WITHOUT chains.

Not sure why the subframe angles out so sharply at the front, and why this angle is so close to the tire.

Tim

#6 ·
FOR SALE: Antique 260 Back Hoe, First Edition, Slight Wear and Tear. LOL:laugh:

#23 ·
Sold

I will give you $100 for you know since it's old and outdated and all.:lol::lol::laugh::laugh::lolol::lolol:

#7 · (Edited)
Loved the 260 on my 2305. Swivel seat worked great. Shortened the overall length and you could raise the FEL and reach the throttle while using the backhoe. Hope the b has ample legroom for extended use. Hope when the b comes off the machine it doesn't leave a large frame on the ground like the 46? Now JD can sell more wheel spacers and longer trailers :laugh:

#11 ·
Yah, what's up with that? As I was reading the up date I was thinking, "now I know why I didn't get the BH when I bought my tractor". Then I read that. Puts me in the same position I was in before...without.

#9 ·
I noticed some things I really like.

I like how the rops isn't right over your head.
I like how they moved the power hydraulic line off the floor and is mounted straight up and down out of the way. Also making it much easier to get to and easier to keep the connections clean! That is a huge plus if you have muddy boots!
Hand grab doubles as a light protector. Lol
Not sure about the step? Looks a little high to me? But better than nothing..
I like the new boom cylinder and would like to demo one to see how well it works.

That's enough for now!
Might be a upgrade coming to a few 1025r owners near you! :lol::lolol:

#10 · (Edited)
So this new 260B backhoe will not be back compatible with existing 1025R tractors? Is this what I am understanding? One needs to order new 1025R to get the 260B backhoe?
Reason being...I am thinking of buying a 1025R from existing dealer stock....?

#12 ·
#14 ·
I am glad they moved the hose so you are not stepping on it, but after looking at all the pics on JD website I realized that now the tire will be throwing dirt and crap up on the hoses and fittings. Too keep them clean I can see a mud flaps install on the fenders or a rubber shield or a metal shield for our welders out there on the brackets of the new designed BH.

Attachments

#19 ·
Something I cant even pretend to get excited about, wife would murder me

Having just bought my first tractor in Feb, she would murder me if I traded it in. I will just have to be content with what I have. The only real problem I have with mine currently is I hate stepping on the hose, and i wish it had a little bit more power.

#21 · (Edited)
"I know a lot of SCUTs have that bent forward look on the ROPS but I don't care for it."

I'm with you on that thought as well. Like any other changes that Deere has brought out, some are an improvement...some not so much.

#22 ·
Count me in. My 2720 has the forward canted ROPS and I never was a fan.

Reactions: BigJim55
#28 ·
I've read about it, slept on it, still want it. But...:gizmo:, don't have it.

I'd have to get the PB too.

Reactions: CountryLakes1025R
#29 ·
Looks like the seat sits much farther forward than say a 46 BH. So the overall length of the tractor and BH may be the same as the current 1025/260.
Also because the seat sits so far forward it appears the operator can reach the FEL control. Handy when ditching as you can raise the FEL and push the tractor forward with the BH. :good2:

#30 ·
I wonder if the optional thumb would be compatible with the 260... :dunno:

Reactions: TheOtherChris
#31 ·
The only mod that I saw that is interesting is the anti-bang boom cylinder. I agree with others, I like the swivel seat, especially since I have made the linkage rod bullet proof. I move the tractor with the BH from the BH seat. You need to be able to reach the steering wheel and throttle to do this. I have used my BH a lot and have never banged my head on the ROPS.

So, back to the boom cylinder. I wonder how JD made this an anti-bang cylinder!!!????? :dunno:

#32 ·
So, back to the boom cylinder. I wonder how JD made this an anti-bang cylinder!!!????? :dunno:
This is a video of a pneumatic cylinder, but the theory is the same. :good2:

#33 ·
This is a video of a pneumatic cylinder, but the theory is the same. :good2:
Thanks!!
Years ago I worked on a hydraulic cylinder that had a poppet in the piston. The poppet opened when the cylinder bottomed out. This allowed oil to transfer from the rod side to the piston side. It worked somewhat OK to cushion the cylinder bottoming out.

I just found this picture on the web for a hydraulic cylinder. As you said, the concept is the same for a hydraulic cylinder as an air cylinder.:good2:

If JD is using this type of cylinder to cushion the boom up on the newer BH, I see no reason this newer cylinder could not be used on the older 260 as long as the length and pin sizes are the same. I'll have to check this out.

Attachments

#35 ·
If chains won't fit on an SCUT FEL/BH, this makes it a "summer only" machine in my book! Waste of a good snow removal tool. Backward step.

2 seats? So 1950's! So I couldn't keep my feet clean swiveling around in the seat, I have to step down into the dirt with the laborers and climb back up? What are they thinking, that I'm 60 years old again?:laugh: Backward step.

BH subframe clearance on my1026FEL/BH is close, but the JD chains lay right between the sides of the R4 lugs, no scuffing. AND I can use the hoe with the front plow on if the glaciers descend upon us again...

"Win some, lose some."(quote Napoleon at Waterloo):laugh:

#37 ·
Lol- simple fix- wheel spacers. Which they probably want you to buy :laugh:

#36 ·
Am I understanding this correctly? The new back hoe subframe doesn't allow chains? But the old one does?

#40 ·
The old frame stated not compatible with chains either.... Some have however got them to work. Most likely same with the new.

#38 ·
So I'm wading through all the comments and reading the blurb on JD's website about the new BH.

Does this mean operation should be smoother - maybe even more "refined?"

In a thread elsewhere on the forum, some weeks back, I made comment that every time I watch a Youtube clip of the 1025 TLB doing some work, the BH appears incredibly, what I would call, "herky-jerky". So much so, that it looks like it would take twice as long to use the BH as it would to just get off the tractor and pickup a spade shovel and do it the old-fashioned way.

I guess I just need to go test one out...maybe they aren't that bad. Either way, hopefully this new model is a much smoother operating BH, similar to what you see on bigger machines.

Reactions: wentonbrown
#41 ·
It is definitely difficult to operate smoothly. No question about that. Hard to keep from jerking, and hard to move create two fluid movements at the same time. However, I think I'm getting better at it.
Have you seen our latest video?

In other words, it would be fair to say that most 260 operators (like me) are not the most proficient backhoe operators ever. We likely don't do this all day every day.
Mine does what I ask it to do MOST of the time now. Occasionally it stills bucks like a bronco!

Anyway, have a look!

#39 ·
Not available for the 2016 1025R? Is that correct. I may have missed that.

#43 ·
260BH jerkiness

Hi there,

Unfortunately with a lot of small machines jerkiness can be an issue. The hydraulics sometimes are not as refined, and there is not much mass to the boom assemblies to dampen things. Therefore you'll need to be gentle when operating the machine. Otherwise get 6 flow controls and start dampening the machine cylinders yourself. That way you can still keep the power and reduce the jerkiness but at the expense of speed.

Regards
Graham.

#45 ·
Anyone know the price for this new model. I am looking at buying one in the next few weeks and need a lot of info prior to the purchase. You all have help me through my first purchase and subsequent purchases as well as maintenance and need help again.

Reactions: greenharley
#52 ·
260bh

Hi everybody.

If jerkiness is a real issue source some hydraulic flow controller + check valve units and install them so you meter the flow out. This will give more control without losing power. Being adjustable you can set each cylinder individually. I too am looking at the 260BH and will consider doing the same once I see the unit up close.

Regards
Graham.

#53 ·
Hi everybody.

If jerkiness is a real issue source some hydraulic flow controller + check valve units and install them so you meter the flow out. This will give more control without losing power. Being adjustable you can set each cylinder individually. I too am looking at the 260BH and will consider doing the same once I see the unit up close.

Regards
Graham.
I have a lot of experience with hydraulic tube bending equipment and have had better luck metering in to the circuit I want to control. I experimented and discovered (learned) that when metering out you will still experience surging as both sides of the cylinder attempting to be controlled have to pressurize before the metering valve has control of the rate of flow. This leads to a jerky start of motion. When metering in the fluid becomes pressurized by the resistance in the circuit before it begins moving the piston.

That is a good idea though, This type of flow control valve allows precision adjustment of the speed you want versus guessing and experimenting with a fixed orifice.

Honestly though with a little experience on the sticks I have gotten used to the controls, and without restricting further what Deere delivered you get nice speed out of the boom control when you want it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.